Kabul, Afghanistan (CNN)At least 34 people were killed in a suicide attack targeting an education center in Kabul Wednesday, according to a government official. Among the victims were thought to be dozens of teenagers studying English.
Kabul attack: Teens targeted, dozens killed in suicide blast
Wahid Majroh, a spokesman for the Ministry of Public Health had earlier released a higher death toll of 48. He later revised that figure down. Dozens were also injured.
The attack on the Maw'ood education center in Dasht e Barchi area of the Afghan capital, came at 4 p.m. local time (7.30 a.m. ET), Kabul police spokesman Hashmat Stanikzai said.
Hamid Rafeh, the brother of 17-year-old victim Rahila told CNN that he saw "dozens" of dead and wounded when he arrived at the scene at around 4.15 p.m. -- shortly after the attack took place.
"I saw dozens of killed and injured inside the classroom.
"I started searching of my sister, I went to different hospitals both government and private, finally I found my sister in a hospital, where post mortem examinations take place. I found her among the unidentified bodies."
He said he "prayed" that no one else would experience what he had.
"I don't know how long we sacrifice our loved ones, I hope government (can) prevent such incidents."
There was no immediate word of a claim of responsibility, but Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mojahid denied that the group was to blame.
On Thursday, gunmen launched another attack near a training center for Afghanistan's intelligence agency in Kabul, deputy spokesman for Afghanistan's Interior Ministry Nasrat Rahimi told CNN.
Attackers entered a building and were attempting to target the National Directorate of Security (NDS) training facility. Afghan special forces had arrived at the scene, Rahimi added.
He told CNN that three gunmen were involved in the attack. Two have been killed, he said, with one remaining. The operation to neutralize the threat continues.
UNICEF, the UN agency that aids the world's most disadvantaged children, expressed alarm over the attack on the education center.
"UNICEF is gravely concerned about the growing violence across Afghanistan, especially over the past week, where children continue to be the hardest hit," UNICEF Executive Director Henrietta Fore said in a statement.
"Today's direct attack on an English language class in Kabul, which killed or critically injured dozens of children aged between the ages of 16 and 18, is deplorable," the statement said.
"This violence must stop. UNICEF continues to call on all parties to the conflict to adhere to and respect humanitarian principles, and ensure the safety and protection of all children. Children are not, and must never be the target of violence."