La Liga agreed 15-year deal to play a competitive match in US
Players' union says its members were not consulted
Footballers in Spain are “outraged” by the prospect of competitive La Liga matches being played in the US and have not ruled out strike action, says the country’s players’ union.
High-profile stars, among them Real Madrid captain Sergio Ramos and Barcelona’s vice-captain Sergio Busquets, attended a meeting Wednesday to discuss La Liga’s 15-year deal with US media company Relevant.
AFE, the players’ union, said its members were not consulted before the Spanish league announced last week that a regular-season match would be played in the US as part of a deal La Liga president Javier Tebas described as a “ground-breaking agreement.”