(CNN)Pope Francis ordered a Vatican investigation last year into abuse allegations against US Archbishop Theodore McCarrick but is not yet releasing the results, the Vatican revealed Saturday.
Pope ordered inquiry last year into McCarrick abuse claims, Vatican says
"The Holy See will, in due course, make known the conclusions of the matter regarding Archbishop McCarrick," the Vatican statement said.
US Catholics have been reeling in recent months from allegations that McCarrick, a former top American cardinal, sexually abused seminarians and an altar boy.
McCarrick, who has denied the accusations about the altar boy and not responded to the allegations about the seminarians, resigned from the College of Cardinals in July.
The allegations, as well as an explosive letter from a former papal diplomat, have raised serious questions among senior church leaders about why McCarrick was allowed to rise through the church's ranks, as well as who knew about the accusations.
In its statement, the Vatican said it had ordered a preliminary investigation in September last year after it was informed by the Archdicoese of New York that a man had accused McCarrick of having abused him in the 1970s.
The investigation was conducted by the Archdiocese of New York, where the alleged abuse took place. The Archdiocese then sent its findings to the the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith in Rome, which acts as a watchdog division.