Leicester CNN  — 

The beloved owner of Leicester City Football Club died in a helicopter crash on Saturday near the club’s stadium in Leicester, England, the club said Sunday.

Thai billionaire Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha, 60, was one of five people on board the aircraft when it burst into flames after crashing in a parking lot next to King Power Stadium, the club said. No one on board survived.

“It is with the deepest regret and a collective broken heart that we confirm our chairman, Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha, was among those to have tragically lost their lives on Saturday evening when a helicopter carrying him and four other people crashed outside King Power Stadium.”

The statement described the chairman as a “a man of kindness, of generosity and a man whose life was defined by the love he devoted to his family and those he so successfully led.”

Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha bought Leicester for $57 million in 2010, six years before its remarkable Premier League title.

READ: Fans mourn a ‘great human being’

‘Lives were touched’

Prince William, the Duke of Cambridge, and British Prime Minister Theresa May are among those to have paid tribute to Srivaddhanaprabha and the victims.

“I was lucky to have known Vichai for several years,” said Prince William, the president of the English Football Association (The F.A.), in a statement.

“He was a businessman of strong values who was dedicated to his family and who supported a number of important charitable causes. He made such a big contribution to football, not least through Leicester City’s magical 2016 season that captured the imagination of the world.

“He will be missed by all fans of the sport and everyone lucky enough to have known him.”

Aimon Srivaddhanaprabha (second right), the wife of the late Leicester owner, and their son Aiyawatt lay wreathes at the club.
Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha (left), son of the late Leicester City owner, stands with striker Jamie Vardy (center) and goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel.

Mrs May wrote on Twitter: “The outpouring of grief is a testament to how many people’s lives were touched by those on board.”

Srivaddhanaprabha’s wife Aimon and son Aiyawatt laid flowers at the crash site Monday, while players from Leicester City arrived by coach to pay their respects. The 12 young Thai footballers who spent two weeks trapped in a cave also visited the stadium Monday after watching Manchester United at Old Trafford Sunday.

A book of condolence will be opened at the King Power Stadium starting at 8 a.m. on Tuesday, October 30, the club said.

The UK government’s Air Accidents Investigation Branch said Monday it had recovered the helicopter’s flight data recorder, which was subject to “intense heat” in the fire. The team said its inspectors will also continue to work with police at the crash site.

READ: Boys rescued from Thai cave welcomed by Man Utd

Makeshift memorials mourn

Srivaddhanaprabha’s helicopter was a familiar sight at the Leicester stadium, landing in the middle of the pitch to ferry its owner to and from home games.

The crash occurred about an hour after Leicester City’s match against West Ham on Saturday night. Witnesses said the helicopter had barely cleared the 25 meter (82 foot) high stadium walls before making a loud noise, crashing to the ground and igniting in a large fireball.

Distraught fans set up a makeshift memorial for the owner before official confirmation that he was on the flight.

As day broke Sunday a shirt adorned with the badges of Leicester City and Oud-Heverlee Leuven – the Belgian second-division team also owned by Srivaddhanaprabha – was propped up against the King Power Stadium, along with a framed picture of the Hindu deity Ganesh and a handful of flowers.

On a bitterly cold day, people of all ages – some pushing babies in pushchairs – flocked to the stadium to lay scarves, flowers and Buddha statues outside the ground.

Those scarves weren’t just the blue and white of Leicester City. There were West Ham, Liverpool and Aston Villa scarves as well as a Sporting Lisbon one.

“We witnessed a miracle,” said Leicester fan Sam Tewley, 31, as he reflected on the unlikelihood of Leicester winning the Premier League in 2016 under Srivaddhanaprabha’s ownership. He noted the goodwill Srivaddhanaprabha built through charitable acts, including a $2.5 million donation to Leicester’s hospitals.

“He has brought the city together,” Tewley said. “He did something to this city that changed the mindset. Walking around the town center in 2016 everyone was so happy.”

Russell Bentley, who works as a volunteer for the The Street Pastors initiative, arrived late in the morning at the stadium to help congregating supporters and said he would stay until he “wasn’t needed anymore.” He also credited Srivaddhanaprabha with reversing the team’s fortunes.

“It looked touch and go for Leicester City at one stage,” Bentley said.

“The club was in administration and he came in, bought it all, paid off all the debts. Not just took it over because it was a cash cow, but because he wanted to be part of the Leicester support.”

A ‘major incident’

The confirmation came one day after Leicester City released a short statement saying that it was assisting police with a “major incident” near the stadium.

As images and video spread online of flames leaping from the crash site, Leicestershire Police set up a cordon at the end of the stadium where the crash took place.

Fairytale run

Srivaddhanaprabha bought the club for $57 million in 2010 and it was promoted to the Premier League in 2014. In 2016, the club achieved the once-unthinkable feat of winning the premiership.

It went into the 2015-2016 season with odds of 5,000-1 to win but stunned fans, and bookmakers, by taking the title.

The club’s extraordinary run of success played out under Srivaddhanaprabha’s ownership. Along with handing fans their first top-flight title in the club’s history, the businessman won over fans by handing out free beer, water and cupcakes, as well as scarves in cold weather, in the stands.