Joe Biden’s probably going to run for president.
Emphasis on probably because things can always change and you never TRULY know if someone is running until they definitively say so.
Biden teased that probable presidential run this morning.
“I appreciate the energy you showed when I got up here. Save it a little longer, I may need it in a few weeks,” Biden said to applause at the International Association of Fire Fighters’ annual legislative conference in DC, where the crowd chanted, “Run, Joe, run,” as he took the stage. “Be careful what you wish for,” the former vice president added.
In case you needed the reminder, Biden has been teasing out his potential presidential ambitions for a WHILE.
For reference, here are eight times in the last five months Biden has hinted at some sort of impending presidential announcement or decision:
- “I haven’t made up my mind. I will at the beginning of next year. But I don’t know,” Biden said in a Politico story published on October 30.
- “I wouldn’t announce if I were going to run that early. It would be too early to start it,” Biden said of a January announcement on November 6.
- “We’re going to make that decision in the next six weeks to two months,” he said on December 4 (when Biden also noted he is “the most qualified person in the country to be president”).
- Biden told a reporter he will decide his 2020 plans “soon,” as he walked through the Philadelphia airport on January 7.
- “We’ll make the decision soon,” he said on January 28.
- “I don’t think there’s any hurry, but there’s a bigger hurry to decide just personally,” Biden said on January 29.
- “We’re very close to getting to a decision” and the “most important people in my life want me to run,” Biden said on February 26. An audience member then shouted “Oh, God! Just say yes!”
- Today’s “careful what you wish for” comments, plus after his speech he was asked by a reporter what the holdup on 2020 was. Biden replied: “No holdup, the car’s running.” He then got into his waiting car.
The Point: Biden continues to bide his time (pun intended).
This story has been updated.