Seven weeks after the Christchurch terror attack in New Zealand, the death toll has risen again.
A Turkish citizen wounded in the mass shooting has died, New Zealand police said in a statement Friday, bringing the total number of deaths to 51. The 46-year-old man had been in a critical condition since the March 15 attacks on two mosques.
“My heartfelt condolences go to the family and community of this man who has died overnight in Christchurch Hospital,” New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said in a statement Friday. “This sad news will be felt across Turkey, as well as New Zealand.”
The man was injured at al Noor mosque, where the majority of deaths occurred.
Police said they were not releasing his name at the request of the man’s family.
He is only the second victim to die in hospital following the Christchurch attacks, Ardern said, calling it a testament to the hard work of the country’s medical staff.
Nine others who were shot in the terrorist attack remain in hospital in a stable condition, she added.
Mevlut Cavusoglu, Turkey’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, tweeted his condolences to the man’s family on Thursday, Turkey time.
Brenton Tarrant, a 28-year-old Australian man, has been charged with 50 counts of murder and 39 counts of attempted murder over the attacks. He is expected to appear in court in June, after a standard mental health assessment.