A deer found dead in a Thai national park had 15 pounds of plastic in its stomach

The 10-year-old stag was found with no external wounds.

(CNN)Thai conservation officials have found a dead deer with 7 kilograms (15 pounds) of plastic garbage in its stomach. It's the latest discovery to highlight the impact of plastic waste on the country's wildlife.

The deer was found on Monday in Khun Sathan National Park in Nan province in northern Thailand, according to the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation.
The 10-year-old wild stag was found with no external wounds or cuts, and had apparently died two days before it was found, the parks department said.
    An autopsy revealed its stomach contained plastic bags including garbage bags, instant coffee packages, condiment packages, rubber gloves, towels, and even a pair of men's underwear, according to photos posted on the DNP official Facebook page.
    The animal died from gastrointestinal obstruction combined with old age, according to the department.
    Kriangsak Thanompun, director of the protected region in the Khun Sathan National Park, told news agency AFP that the plastic bags were "one of the causes of his death."
    "It shows we have to take seriously and reduce ... single-use plastic," he added, calling for "nature-friendly products" to be used instead.
    Earlier this year, an orphaned baby dugong who became a celebrity in Thailand died with plastic waste lining its stomach.
    In June last year, a short-fin male pilot whale died after ingesting more than 17 pounds of plastic bags and packaging.
      Over 50% of the pla