Louisville BBQ man who was fatally shot when police dispersed crowd used to feed officers for free

David McAtee "fed all the policemen," his mother said.

(CNN)David "Yaya" McAtee and his BBQ joint were fixtures on the Louisville corner where he was fatally shot as police and the Kentucky National Guard dispersed a large crowd early Monday.

McAtee, 53, called the spot "one of the busiest locations in West Louisville," where he had built a steady clientele over the years that included local cops his mother said usually ate for free. It was a popular outdoor eatery he had dreamed of turning into a restaurant, according to his mother and a February interview he gave the local West of Ninth photo blog.
Odessa Riley, center, said her son was killed "for no reason."
McAtee's mother, Odessa Riley, questioned the actions of the police, saying her son was "trying to make an honest dollar to take care of his rent and his bills. And they gonna shoot him down like a dog."
Surveillance footage appeared to show McAtee fire at police first as officers used pepper balls to clear a crowd in a neighboring parking lot, according to video released Tuesday. The officers appeared to take cover and returned fire.
In one video, McAtee is seen at the door to the restaurant with his right arm extended. Moments later, McAtee moves back into the shop, clutching his chest, and falls to the ground.
Here's what we know about David McAtee and how he died:

Police say they returned fire after being fired upon

Louisville Metro Police Chief Steve Conrad was fired after officials discovered two of his officers involved in McAtee's shooting had not activated their body cameras.
"This type of institutional failure will not be tolerated," Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer said Monday.
McAtee was shot as police and National Guard members tried to disperse a large crowd, according to police, who said officers returned fire after being fired upon. The city has a dusk-to-dawn curfew after nights of protests.
The LMPD officers, identified as Katie Crews and Austin Allen, are on administrative leave pending an investigation into the shooting.
Crews joined the police department in February of 2018. Allen joined in February 2016.
The National Guard members have not been identified and have not been been disciplined or reprimanded, said Steve Martin, a spokesman for the state's National Guard.
Kentucky, like other states, has had protests stemming from the the death of 46-year-old George Floyd at the hands of Minneapolis police last week. But Louisville protesters have also voiced anger over the March death of Breonna Taylor, an emergency medical technician who was shot multiple times when three LMPD officers entered her apartment by force to serve a search warrant.
Police and National Guard units around 12:15 a.m. early Monday were sent to clear a large crowd in the parking lot where McAtee sold his BBQ at a store front.
"Officers and soldiers begin to clear the lot and at some point were shot at," Conrad told reporters. "Both LMPD and National Guard members returned fire. We have one man dead at the scene."
Louisville Metro Police Maj. Paul Humphrey said police were trying to disperse the crowd after dealing with other "unruly crowds" around the city Sunday night. The gunfire erupted after police used the pepper balls to disperse some people in the crowd, he said.