(CNN)Namibia President Hage Geingob says his government has turned down Germany's offer of compensation for colonial-era killings, calling it "not acceptable."
Geingob said in a statement that Germany has continued to call efforts to seek redress with the government and those affected in the conflict "healing of wounds" instead of reparations.
German troops killed up to 80,000 of Herero and Nama people in the southern African country between 1904 and 1908 in response to an anti-colonial uprising, according to the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum.
According to historians, the bloody conflict happened when the Herero indigenous people revolted against colonial troops over land seizures. Germany, which today gives development aid to Namibia, offered its first formal apology for the conflict in 2004.
Both countries have been in talks since 2015 to negotiate compensation for the massacre by German colonial forces. So far, eight rounds of negotiations have taken place between the countries.
"The current offer for reparations made by the German Government remains an outstanding issue and is not acceptable to the Namibian Government," the president said in the statement on Tuesday.
He did not give details of the offer.