20200312 amazon basics fires T1 Illustration
CNN  — 

When firefighters arrived at Austin Parra’s home on January 12, 2017, they could see smoke and the charred remnants of an office chair outside.

Parra, then 20, had been transported to the hospital. His mother explained to firefighters that her son’s chair caught on fire while he was sleeping, and he was burned as he carried the flaming chair outside.

Anthony Dignoti, the Wethersfield, Connecticut, fire marshal in charge of investigating the incident, could see that the door and door frame were damaged by the fire as well. He noticed bowls strewn about, which he wrote in his official report had been filled with water in an attempt to extinguish the fire.