Taliban crack down hard on Kabul's largest protest yet

People scatter as the Taliban open fire during a protest in Kabul in this still image obtained from a social media video.

(CNN)The Taliban used gunfire, detentions and beatings to crush dissent over their rule on Tuesday, as scores of Afghan protesters marched through Kabul in the largest demonstration the capital has seen since the militant group seized power last month.

According to photos and videos shared on social media, activists shouted in support of resistance fighters in the holdout province of Panjshir and chanted against Pakistan, which they view as meddling in Afghan affairs.
Videos from central Kabul showed dozens of men and women marching through the streets shouting "Death to Pakistan" as the demonstrators made their way towards the presidential palace.
    Amid chaotic scenes on the streets, Taliban fighters intervened and shot into the air to disperse the protesters. The videos showed people scattering or crouching down amid sustained bursts of gunfire. There were no initial reports of casualties.
      Witnesses estimated the crowd at between 300 and 500 people -- many of whom were women wearing the hijab.
      A Taliban fighter stands guard as Afghan women shout slogans during a rally near the Pakistan embassy in Kabul on September 7.

      Demonstrators question Pakistan's role

      Some protesters complained about the role that the head of Pakistan's military intelligence has played as negotiations concluded on the formation of a government. The intelligence chief, Lt Gen Faiz Hamid, arrived in Kabul at the weekend and has been meeting senior Taliban officials, including Mullah Baradar, the head of the Taliban's Political Bureau.
        One man said: "The protest near Zanbak Square was dispersed by Taliban shooting in the air. Most of our friends went towards Serena Hotel. One group gathered here, and another group marched towards Pakistan embassy. No matter if they try to cut us off we will sprout [again], we will grow. We will not go quiet. We will never accept the enslavement and invasion of any foreigners."
        In one video from Kabul on Tuesday, a woman is seen to confront a Taliban fighter. Afghan journalist Ahmad Jawid Kargar told CNN that the Taliban detained dozens of women protesting in front of the presidential gate and took them to the basement of the Azizi Bank nearby. CNN has been unable to confirm how many people were detained.
        A non-Afghan photojournalist who was one of about a dozen media representatives detained at the protest said he had been held for two hours. He told CNN: "Before detaining me, one Taliban beat me with his AK-47, on the back of my head." He said his camera was broken but when the Taliban found out he was not Afghan they were much more polite. "They were not treating local journalists the same and made sure several times that I wasn't one."
        The photojournalist, who asked not to be named, said it was becoming impossible to work in Kabul. "There's nothing we can do. They ban us from coverage. We can't do our work. They are just so aggressive. I saw this with my own eyes -- I saw a man point his gun at the people, he was ready to shoot. Another guy had to stop him. He was so close to doing it. Some of them are just uncontrollable."
        The photojournalist added: "There were around 500 people at the protest today. Women were being detained in an outdoor parking lot. They were not allowed out of that space. That was their method of detaining and stopping them."
        According to several social media accounts of Afghan journalists, at least some of the reporters and cameramen who had been detained have since been released.
        A number had been beaten, according to the social media accounts of their organizations.