Liverpool books ticket to FA Cup final after 3-2 win over Manchester City

    Liverpool booked its ticket to the FA Cup final in a nervy 3-2 win over Man City.

    Wembley Stadium, London, UK (CNN)A rampant Liverpool advanced to the FA Cup final on Saturday, beating Manchester City 3-2 at a sunny Wembley stadium.

    The deadlock was broken within the first 10 minutes when Liverpool defender Ibrahima Konaté rose highest to slam home a powerful header from a corner.
    And the afternoon went from bad to worse for City when goalkeeper Zack Steffen wanted too much time on the ball, allowing Sadio Mané to slide in and dispossess the US international to double the lead.
      And on the stroke of halftime, Liverpool's lead was three as Mané rifled in at the near post, past a despairing Steffen.
        Just went all seemed lost for City, Jack Grealish popped up with a goal minutes after the break to give his side hope, and Bernardo Silva tapped in from close range in the 90th minute to ensure a nervy ending.
        But it wasn't enough as Liverpool progressed to the final where it will face either Chelsea or Crystal Palace who face off on Sunday.
        Mané told the BBC afterwards that the day was "special."
          "We were playing one of the best teams in the world. To win this kind of game, especially in a semifinal, is a big, big, big win," he said.
          "We were very pleased to win and qualify for the final. We started very well, everybody started on the front foot -- for my first goal, the goalkeeper made a mistake, but I think we pushed him to make that mistake. That is our style and I think that made the difference."

          The finest do battle

          Red and blue, resplendent in the London sun.
          Two of the world's best teams doing battle -- a week after their last encounter -- for a spot in the final of football's oldest competition.
          For neutrals, there couldn't be a more perfect setting: a packed stadium, beautiful weather and some football's stars on show.
          And, like their thrilling 2-2 draw last Sunday, the game began at a red-hot pace.
          With both popping the ball around with zip and verve, the first goal came through a more agricultural route.
          Konaté scoring the opening goal of the FA Cup semifinal.
          Liverpool defender Konaté continued his rich vein of goalscoring form as he powered home a header from his side's opening corner of the game -- his third goal in as many games.
          The goal sent the Liverpool fans wild, and as City restarted play, the air was thick with the smell of flares, the sunlight tinged red as the Liverpool fans bounced in celebration.
          The red end of Wembley was jumping with joy just eight minutes later.
          As City tried to play out from defense as they typically do so well, Steffen -- City's cup goalkeeper -- wanted just fractions too long on the ball, allowing Mané to slide in and tackle the ball home.
          The moment bore striking similarities to their clash in the Premier League last week, when regular starter Ederson also dallied on the ball but was just able to nick the ball away in time ahead of the on-rushing attacker.
          Sadio Mané takes advantage of a big mistake by City keeper Zack Steffen.