Texas Department of Public Safety Col. Steven McCraw speaks during a press conference on Friday, May 27.
'Wrong decision, period!': Watch contentious news conference as official admits failure
02:39 - Source: CNN

Editor’s Note: This account of events surrounding the massacre at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, is based on official statements, interviews with parents, witnesses, law enforcement and local officials, and other reporting from CNN and its news affiliates.

CNN  — 

Two days before the end of the academic year the students of Robb Elementary School wore their Sunday best for a “Footloose and Fancy” event – a prelude to a long-awaited summer of drive-in movies, lakeside barbecues and trips to amusement parks.

Tuesday morning, as 10-year-old fourth graders like Xavier Javier Lopez and Alexandria “Lexi” Rubio received honor roll certificates and other awards, a bullied loner named Salvador Ramos was home with his grandmother in Uvalde, a small, tight-knit Texas town nestled roughly midway between San Antonio and the border with Mexico.

Within hours, the little aspiring lawyers, police officers, dancers and biologists of Robb Elementary would cross paths with the high school dropout who gifted himself two AR-15 style rifles and hundreds of rounds of ammunition he legally purchased for his 18th birthday one week earlier.

At 11:33 a.m. Ramos entered the school, unimpeded, through a rear door that a teacher had left propped open. He fired more than 100 rounds in the school and two adjoining classrooms. A Border Patrol tactical team fatally shot him more than an hour after the terror began.

The massacre claimed the lives of 19 children and two teachers in the deadliest US school shooting in nearly a decade. Haunting details emerged almost daily. A father gathered with other distraught parents outside the school. He pleaded with officers for gear so he confront the gunman himself. An 11-year-old survivor played dead after smearing herself with her friend’s blood. The gunman looked one teacher in the eye. “Goodnight,” he said coldly before killing her.

 A memorial for the victims of Tuesday's mass shooting at Robb Elementary School.

Grieving parents planned funerals as they seethed over the delayed response. Law enforcement officials for days offered conflicting explanations. A public safety department colonel admitted Friday that waiting in a school hallway while trapped students made 911 calls was the “wrong decision” by the commanding officer at the scene. It’s not clear how many lives the mistake may have cost.

Uvalde’s nearly 16,000 working-class, mostly Latino residents are now the latest mourners in an eerily familiar American tragedy.

“It was something I never want to see again,” said Judge Eulalio “Lalo” Diaz, who, as Uvalde County justice of the peace, had the task of identifying the slain children and teachers in a county with no medical examiner. “These are our children.”

‘Just wait for it’

Ramos, who had no criminal record, had few friends and largely kept to himself. In the weeks leading up to the massacre, he exhibited a dark side in livestreams on the social media app Yubo. Several users who witnessed the recent videos said he told girls he would rape them, showed off a rifle he bought, and threatened to shoot up schools. They didn’t take him seriously until now.

At about 11 a.m. on Tuesday he called a 15-year-old girl in Germany. He had befriended her earlier this month on the social media app.

The young man and the teen from Frankfurt spoke daily on FaceTime. They also communicated on Yubo and played and chatted on the Plato gaming app. He was curious about life in Germany. He confessed to spending a lot of time alone at home.

“He looked happy and comfortable talking to me,” said the girl, whose mother gave permission for her to be interviewed.

Still, some chats alarmed her. He admitted hurling dead cats at houses. And he never mentioned plans to meet friends.

In videos and text messages, Ramos spoke of visiting his new friend in Europe. One message included a flight itinerary.

“I’m coming over soon,” he wrote.

Law enforcement officers guard the scene of a shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, U.S. May 24, 2022.  REUTERS/Marco Bello
These are some of the deadliest shootings at K-12 schools
02:08 - Source: CNN

On Monday, Ramos told the girl he had received a package of bullets that expanded upon entering tissue.

Why? she asked.

“Just wait for it,” he said, ominously.

The next day, in the call just after 11 on the morning of the shootings, he told the girl he loved her.

Screen shots of messages Ramos sent soon after the call show he complained that his grandmother had contacted AT&T about “my phone.”

“It’s annoying,” he wrote.

At 11:06 a.m. came a chilling message: “I just shot my grandma in her head.”

His final text to his new online friend was at 11:21 a.m. local time – then early evening in Germany: “Ima go shoot up” an elementary school.

Gunman opens fire, then enters school

The shooter drove a pickup to the school campus and crashed the truck in a ditch.

With days left in the school year, the second- through fourth-graders of Robb Elementary collected their awards Tuesday morning.

The children smiled and posed for pictures. Students watched Disney’s “Lilo & Stitch” in the waning days of a long semester.

Less than a mile away, Ramos – after shooting his 66-year-old grandmother in the face and texting his German friend one last time – drove a pickup to the school campus and crashed the truck in a ditch. It was 11:28 a.m. local time.

He opened fire on two people outside a funeral home across the street but did not hit them. His grandmother managed to call 911. She was airlifted to a hospital in San Antonio and is expected to survive.

Derek Gonzalez was near the school when he heard the gunfire.

“Shooting! Shooting!” he recalled a woman shouting outside as bullets struck the ground.

Salvador Ramos outside school Uvalde
Video shows gunman enter Texas elementary school
00:53 - Source: CNN

Within minutes, Ramos made his way from the road to the school parking lot and began firing at classroom windows. Moments before he pulled open the building’s unlocked rear door, a school safety officer in a patrol car drove right by the gunman, who had hunkered down behind a car.

At 11:33 a.m. Ramos moved down a hallway and into one of two adjoining classrooms – 111 and 112. At no time since crashing the truck did police confront him.

Minutes later, seven officers arrived at the school. Three officers approached the locked classroom where the gunman had now barricaded himself. Two officers were shot from behind a door and suffered graze wounds.

A barrage of more than 100 rounds echoed through the halls of Robb Elementary in the slaughter’s first minutes. It was at least the 30th school shooting at a K-12 school this year.

He said ‘goodnight,’ then shot teacher

Miah Cerrillo Uvalde survivor Texas
'Goodnight': 11-year-old describes what she heard and saw as shooter moved through classroom
06:47 - Source: CNN

Miah Cerrillo, 11, was watching the Disney movie with classmates. Alerted to a shooter in the building, teachers Eva Mireles and Irma Garcia moved to protect their young charges. When one teacher tried to lock the classroom door, the gunman shot out a door window.

The teacher backpedaled and the gunman followed her. He said “Goodnight,” then shot her. He turned and opened fire on the other teacher and Miah’s classmates.

The girl cried at times and wrapped herself in a blanket as she recalled the horror. She heard screams and more shots when the gunman entered a connected classroom. Between rounds, the shooter played music Miah described as “sad – like you want people to die.”

Miah feared he would come back for her and a few surviving friends. She covered her hands with the blood of a classmate slain next to her and smeared herself with it. She played dead.

At one point Miah and a classmate managed to use the phone of their dead teacher to call 911.

“Please come,” she told the dispatcher. “We’re in trouble.”

Commander makes ‘the wrong decision’

Around the time students started making 911 calls as many as 19 law enforcement officers had already taken cover in the hallway, at 12:03 p.m. They took no action and waited for classroom keys and tactical equipment.

At 12:16 p.m. a girl who made several 911 calls told a dispatcher that eight or nine children were alive in her classroom.

“The on-scene commander at that time believed that it had transitioned from an active shooter to a barricaded subject,” Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) Col. Steven McCraw said on Friday, describing the call not to confront the shooter as “the wrong decision, period.”

“There’s no excuse for that,” he added.

Steven McCraw, director and colonel of the Texas Department of Public Safety, said the decision not to confront the shooter sooner was wrong.

The official who made the decision not to breach the classroom was the school district police chief, Pedro “Pete” Arredondo, who has not spoken publicly since two very brief press statements on the day of the shootings. He has three decades of law enforcement experience. There was no response to attempts to reach Arredondo at his home on Friday.

Before the end of the noontime hour on Tuesday, at least 10 911 calls were made from classrooms, including several from the same girl pleading for help. She whispered at one point that multiple bodies surrounded her in Room 112.

Amerie Jo Garza turned 10 years old weeks before the attack. She got her first cell phone as a gift. Classmates would later tell her stepfather, med aide Angel Garza, that she was killed while trying to call 911.

“She was just trying to call authorities,” said Angel Garza, sobbing as he cradled a photo of Amerie holding an honor roll certificate.

“I just want people to know she died trying to save her classmates.”

The chaos extended to outside the school

Students run to safety after escaping from a window at Robb Elementary School on Tuesday.

During the siege, some responding officers helped evacuate students and teachers in other parts of the school.

Frustrated parents gathered outside during the rampage. They urged officers holding them back to storm the school to stop the bloodshed.

One parent, Victor Luna, pleaded with officers to give him their gear. His son Jayden survived the shooting but he didn’t know that at the time.

Luna and other parents watched nervously as officers escorted students from the school. Video from the scene showed officers physically restraining some parents.