Editor’s Note: Find the latest coverage of the Highland Park, Illinois, parade shooting here.

Highland Park, Illinois CNN  — 

Robert E. Crimo III, the suspect in a mass shooting at a parade that left six dead and sent more than two dozen people to hospitals, has been taken into custody near Lake Forest, Illinois, authorities said during a brief news conference Monday night.

Authorities said Crimo was spotted by a North Chicago officer who attempted a traffic stop. Crimo led officers on a brief chase before being stopped. He was taken into custody without incident and will be transferred to the police department in Highland Park, where the deadly shooting occurred earlier Monday.

Earlier, as law enforcement searched for Crimo, police had labeled him “a person of interest” and the FBI said, “He being sought for his alleged involvement in the shooting of multiple individuals at an Independence Day parade in Highland Park, Illinois.”

The capture ended an intense manhunt across the Chicagoland area after the shooting upended Independence Day festivities in cities throughout the region.

The shooting in Highland Park, about 25 miles north of Chicago, began shortly after 10 a.m. CT as parade-goers enjoyed a sunny Fourth of July parade along Central Avenue.

Robert "Bobby" E. Crimo III

Firearm evidence was found on the rooftop of a business near the shooting, police commander Chris O’Neill said earlier. The gunman used a ladder attached to the building on a wall in an alley to access the roof, said Christopher Covelli, spokesperson for the Lake County Major Crime Task Force.

The gun was a “high-powered rifle” and the attack appeared to be “random” and “intentional,” Covelli said.

The FBI provided a photo of the 2010 silver Honda Fit with Illinois license plate DM80653 that Crimo is thought to be driving.

Authorities are working to trace the firearm to find out who purchased it and its origins, according to Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives spokesperson Kim Nerheim.

Covelli told reporters that SWAT members and other officers have been evacuating people from buildings within a certain radius of the shooting.

Lake County Coroner Jennifer Banek said the five people who died at the scene were adults. One person died at a hospital, she said, but she didn’t have more information about that victim.

The scene following a shooting in Highland Park on July 4th.

Highland Park Fire Chief Joe Schrage said his department transported 23 people to hospitals and other victims were taken in police cars or bystanders’ personal vehicles.