Coronavirus "tipping point" is still ahead says German health minister
From CNN's Nadine Schmidt in Berlin
The spread of novel coronavirus will get worse before it gets better, German health minister Jens Spahn warned at a press conference Wednesday.
“The tipping point has not yet been reached – neither in China, internationally nor in Germany,” Spahn said.
He added that the G7 group will hold another conference call Wednesday to coordinate their response to the spread of novel coronavirus.
The group -- which includes the US, Germany, France, Italy, Japan, Canada and Britain -- previously met in early February to discuss coordinating travel regulations and precautions as well as medical research and cooperation with the World Health Organization, the European Union and China.
8:51 a.m. ET, February 12, 2020
The new official name for the disease, and what does it mean?
The disease caused by the novel coronavirus now has an official name from the World Health Organization: COVID-19.
This is an acronym: CO stands for corona, VI stands for virus, D for disease. The 19 refers to 2019.
The naming of a new disease is a tricky balancing act. The WHO Director General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus explained why at a news conference on Tuesday:
"We had to find a name that did not refer to a geographical location, an animal, an individual or group of people, and which is also pronounceable and related to the disease. Having a name matters to prevent the use of other names that can be inaccurate or stigmatizing."
9:09 a.m. ET, February 12, 2020
What we know about the novel coronavirus outbreak
If you're just joining our coverage, here is the latest on the novel coronavirus outbreak:
Total number of cases: As of now, there are 45,172 confirmed cases of the virus globally, with the vast majority of them in China. All but two of the 1,115 people who have died from the virus were also in mainland China. Elsewhere, one person has died in Hong Kong and one in the Philippines.
Cruise ships affected: A number of cruise ships have had their journeys disrupted or brought to a halt by the virus. The MS Westerdam — which has been turned away from four ports over fears that its passengers might be infected with the virus — is now sailing for Cambodia. The vessel has 2,000 people on board but has no confirmed cases of the virus and is not in a state of quarantine. The Diamond Princess cruise ship, which is being quarantined in Yokohama, has seen more confirmed cases on board. At least 175 passengers have been confirmed to have the virus.
People return to work: In China, people are returning to work after entire cities and business sectors were shut down for more than two weeks in efforts to contain the outbreak. In Hubei province — the outbreak's epicenter — millions remain under lockdown.
7:47 a.m. ET, February 12, 2020
Formula 1 Chinese Grand Prix postponed
The Formula 1 Chinese Grand Prix in Shanghai has been postponed over the novel coronavirus outbreak.
In a statement, F1 governing body FIA said the Chinese Grand Prix Promoter, Juss Sports Group, officially requested the postponement after ongoing discussions with the country's sports authorities.
The FIA and F1 said it would continue monitoring the situation and explore the "viability of potential alternative dates for the Grand Prix later in the year should the situation improve."
"The Chinese Grand Prix has always been a very important part of the F1 calendar and the fans are always incredible," F1 said in a statement. "We all look forward to racing in China as soon as possible and wish everyone in the country the best during this difficult time."
7:32 a.m. ET, February 12, 2020
Where novel coronavirus cases have been reported
Here's a look at where the novel coronavirus cases are throughout the world, according to the latest information from the World Health Organization (WHO).
These numbers may differ from those reported by national health authorities, who report updated totals at different times to the WHO.
The vast majority of the cases have been identified in mainland China, according to WHO data.
The WHO collects and publishes the global data on a daily basis, with the next update coming later this afternoon in Geneva, Switzerland. The latest data release by China's National Health Commission said there have been 44,653 cases and 1,113 deaths in mainland China.
7:05 a.m. ET, February 12, 2020
Nokia and BT pull out of the world's top mobile conference over virus fears
From CNN's Chris Liakos in London
Nokia and BT are the latest companies to ditch the world's largest mobile conference because of the risk that its employees could catch the novel coronavirus.
The two firms joined Amazon, Ericsson, Facebook, Sony, Intel, Cisco, LG and other tech companies in withdrawing from this year's Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.
Nokia said it took the decision was made "after a full assessment of the risks related to a fast-moving situation."
"Primary focus has been to safeguard the health and well-being of employees and others while also recognizing responsibility to the industry and customers," it said in the statement.
BT said pulling out was the "most responsible decision.”
"Unfortunately, the most responsible decision is to withdraw our participation from the event to safeguard our employees and customers.”
The conference, scheduled for February 24-27, normally attracts 100,000 attendees and over 2,400 companies. It is considered the mobile industry's biggest event, one where many companies launch new products.
After being turned away from multiple ports, the Westerdam cruise ship is now sailing for Cambodia
From CNN’s Mick Krever in Tokyo
The Westerdam cruise ship, denied entry by at least four different authorities despite not having any confirmed coronavirus cases onboard, is now heading for Cambodia and will disembark its passengers Thursday, Holland America Line said in a Wednesday statement.
“Westerdam is now sailing for Sihanoukville, Cambodia, where the current cruise will end,” the statement reads. “We will arrive at 7:00 a.m. local time on Thursday, Feb. 13 and will remain in port for several days for disembarkation.”
“Guests will be able to go ashore. All approvals have been received and we are extremely grateful to the Cambodian authorities for their support.”
The company said that passengers will move from Sihanoukville to Phnom Penh on charter flights. Holland America said it would pay for all flights home, as well as the previously announced full cruise refund and “100% future cruise credit.”
5:56 a.m. ET, February 12, 2020
Chinese e-commerce giant JD.com is hiring 20,000 workers who lost jobs because of coronavirus
From CNN's Michelle Toh
JD.com, one of China's largest e-commerce firms, has promised to open up more than 20,000 new positions as the country's economy struggles under the coronavirus outbreak.
The company is hiring warehouse workers, couriers and drivers. Some of the positions will be temporary.
The jobs are meant to "minimize the impact of the epidemic on employment in the short term," JD.com said in a statement, adding that it wants to "support stable employment."
Dada Group, a local on-demand delivery provider that is backed by JD, will create an additional 15,000 positions.
JD.com's supermarket chain, 7FRESH, will also reach out to employees from restaurants, hotels, cinemas and retail outlets "that are temporarily closed due to the coronavirus," the company said in a statement.
These workers will be eligible for new short-term positions, including shop clerks, packaging assistants and delivery couriers, according to the company.
Business giants step in: E-commerce giant Alibaba announced a similar plan this week. On Monday, it introduced an "employee-sharing" scheme that would allow those who work in hospitality, dining, movie theaters, department stores and various other businesses to find temporary jobs at the company.
It declined to share an estimate on how many workers would be eligible.
Some workers have already found jobs through these initiatives. JD.com said Wednesday that its logistics unit has taken in at least 700 employees from more than 10 companies, adding that the firm is continuing to work with partners, staffing agencies and restaurants to recruit more people in thousands of cities.
Hong Kong confirms one more case, bringing city's total to 50
From Isaac Yee in Hong Kong
Health officials in Hong Kong have confirmed an additional case of the novel coronavirus, bringing the citywide total to 50.
Officials at a news conference today said the new case involves a 51-year-old man who developed a fever on February 3 and was hospitalized on February 10. The patient is a coworker of the 37th confirmed case in the city.
A total of 59 suspected cases have been reported in the past 24 hours, said Sarah Ho of the city's Hospital Authority. Four confirmed patients are in critical condition and two remain in a serious condition.
The 18th confirmed case -- a 25-year-old man -- was also discharged from hospital today, Ho said.