February 14 coronavirus news
New numbers from China's top health body revised down an earlier death toll from Hubei province after saying duplications had been found in "data collection and recording."
According to the National Health Commission, the current number of infections in mainland China is 63,851, up 5,090 from the day before, while the death toll has risen to 1,380.
In total, that brings the global total to at least 1,383 deaths and 64,435 confirmed infections.
Previous numbers released out of Hubei province this morning had suggested that the number of infected had climbed above 65,000 but Beijing now says that is incorrect.
Manchester United's newest signing Odion Ighalo is training away from the first team due to novel coronavirus concerns following his arrival from China.
Ighalo joined United on January 31 from Chinese Super League side Shanghai Shenhua and although the risk posed is minimal -- the city is hundreds of kilometers away from Hubei province which is at the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak -- the club has opted to take precautionary measures.
United also decided against taking Ighalo on its winter break training camp in Spain due to concerns he may have difficulty re-entering the UK.
Current medical guidelines advise people returning to the UK from certain countries, including China, to be quarantined for 14 days.
Read more here.
Ning Zhu, a nurse in Wuhan, the central Chinese city at the heart of the deadly coronavirus outbreak, is restless.
Instead of helping on the frontlines, she has been under self-quarantine at home for weeks, after a chest scan on January 26 revealed that she had a suspected case of the novel coronavirus.
Zhu was told to wait for a nucleic acid test that would provide the final verdict, but it never came.
"Right now, it's really a problem. Our hospital already has more than 100 people who are quarantined at home," she told CNN over the phone.
The Chinese health authorities have so far not disclosed the number of infections of health care workers. But accounts shared with CNN and seen on social media suggest that the extent of the infection could be in the high hundreds.
In Wuhan there are 398 hospitals and nearly 6,000 community clinics.
Read the full article here.
A group of US evacuees who were taken out of the coronavirus epicenter in Wuhan last week and are now in quarantine have petitioned the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to test them as soon as possible.
The evacuees, who are currently at the Marine Corps Air Station Miramar in California, thanked the CDC for their support but asked to be tested to identify potential infections quickly.
"We believe testing everyone at the facility would help identify potential suspects as early as possible, so the appropriate treatment could be put in place,” according to the petition, which is written in both Chinese and English.
Two people who were evacuated to Miramar have already been diagnosed with the virus and sent into isolation.
The CDC said that it is listening to the evacuees' concerns but testing people who are asymptomatic may provide a false negative.
"A false negative could provide a false sense of security,” Christopher Braden, a CDC official who is with the evacuees in San Diego, said in a statement Thursday.
In a statement read out to the passengers of the quarantined Diamond Princess cruise ship, Japan's vice minister for health, labor and welfare said the government appreciated their "understanding and cooperation."
Visiting the ship this morning, minister Gaku Hashimoto said that he knew the situation was "difficult and inconvenient."
"We also understand that there are many people who are hoping to go home as soon as possible, and people who have pre-existing medical conditions who are still on board,” he said.
Additional cases expected onboard: So far there have been 219 cases of the coronavirus found on board the Diamond Princess, the largest outbreak of the virus outside of mainland China.
Speaking to passengers Thursday, chief medical officer for cruise operator Princess Cruises Grant Tarling said that the quarantine was expected to end by February 19.
"However, as the situation is evolving daily, we do not know at this point what measures, if any, will be required before or after that date. We will keep you updated if or when we are informed of new information by the ministry," he said.
Tarling said additional cases were likely to be identified onboard.
A series of emergency measures will be approved by Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe Friday to combat the novel coronavirus, according to the prime minister’s office.
The government will spend 15.3 billion yen ($140 million) on emergency measures, including bolstering testing and medical treatment capacity, doubling mask production to more than 600 million a month, and credits for small and medium-sized businesses hurt by the outbreak.
Another measure will call for 1,800 beds to be readied for patients and for virus research results to be shared internationally.
Biggest outbreak: The largest outbreak of the novel coronavirus outside mainland China is aboard the Diamond Princess cruise ship quarantined in Yokohama, which has reported 219 cases, including a Japanese quarantine officer.
Japan has reported a further 31 cases of the virus outside of the ship, bringing the national total to 250. A Japanese woman in her 80s has also died from the disease.
The number of new infections in Hubei -- the central Chinese province at the epicenter of the outbreak -- rose sharply for the second day in a row today after the government adopted a new way of calculating how cases are recorded.
The Hubei health authority recorded 4,823 new cases of the coronavirus on Thursday, more than double the 2,097 new cases announced Tuesday.
If you're just joining us, here's what you need to know ...
Death toll rises: Out of the more than 36,719 patients still hospitalized in Hubei, 1,685 are in a critical condition. The global death toll rose today to 1,486.
Leadership shakeup: The spike in cases comes amid sweeping changes to top leadership positions in both Hubei and Wuhan.
The Communist Party chiefs of both Wuhan and Hubei were removed from their positions yesterday and replaced with officials from outside the province. Two Hubei health officials were also sacked earlier in the week.
Global infections mount: Both Singapore and Hong Kong now have more than 50 cases of the novel coronavirus, with the former announcing Thursday that it had diagnosed eight new cases.
The number of infections globally has now risen to more than 65,000.
Cruise ship situation is 'dynamic': There have now been 219 cases of the coronavirus found on board the cruise liner Diamond Princess, which is in quarantine off the coast of Yokohama in Japan.
In a message to passengers, Grant Tarling, the chief medical officer of cruise operator Princess Cruises said the situation was still "very dynamic." "The Ministry of Health has notified us that the quarantine period of 14 days will end on February 19. However, as the situation is evolving daily, we do not know at this point what measures, if any, will be required before or after that date." he said.
The Hubei health authority has reported that 116 more people died of the coronavirus in Hubei province on Thursday, bringing the total number of deaths globally to at least 1,486.
The vast majority of the deaths are in mainland China, with only one death in Hong Kong, one in the Philippines and one in Japan.
China’s National Health Commission is expected to release numbers for all of China’s provinces later today.
Hubei authorities confirmed an additional 4,823 cases of the virus in Hubei, which brings the total number of cases in the epicenter of the outbreak to 51,986.
There are 36,719 patients who have been hospitalized in Hubei, including 1,685 who are in critical condition, according to the health authority. There are now 4,131 patients who have recovered and been discharged.
The global number of confirmed coronavirus cases has now exceeded 65,191.
A 39-year-old woman from China is the 19th person to be officially diagnosed with novel coronavirus in Malaysia, state news agency Bernama reported on Thursday.
She is a friend and relative of two of the previous cases and is currently in a stable condition in isolation, Bernama said.
According to the report, she arrived in Malaysia from Wuhan on January 25 with four other people.
There have been no deaths from the coronavirus to date in Malaysia.