Sri Lanka mourns as investigation into deadly blasts continues
Australian citizens are being warned to "reconsider" their "need to travel" to Sri Lanka, according to an alert from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT).
The advisory follows a travel warning issued yesterday by the US Department of State, warning travelers that terrorist groups "continue plotting possible attacks in Sri Lanka."
Australia's Prime Minister Scott Morrison appeared on Sunrise, CNN affiliate Channel 7's breakfast television show, on Tuesday and said that a team from Australian Federal Police had been deployed to Sri Lanka to join in with the investigation effort.
During the program Morrison referenced the loss of two Australian citizens while at a church service. A woman and her ten-year-old daughter Alexandria were killed in "the inferno in Negombo," he said.
A coordinated series of bombings ripped through churches and hotels on Easter Sunday, killing at least 290 people and injuring hundreds more.
- What happened: Eight explosions took place in the cities of Colombo, Negombo and Batticaloa.
- The victims: The majority of victims were Sri Lankans. Dozens of foreign nationals were also killed, with citizens from the UK, US, India, Australia, China, the Netherlands, Turkey, Portugal and Denmark among the dead.
- Where things stand now: Tuesday has been declared a day of national mourning, and the country is in a state of emergency. All schools nationwide are closed until Wednesday, and authorities continue conducting search and rescue operations.