How To ListenOn your computer On your mobile device Smart speakers
Explore CNNUS World Politics Business
Fareed Zakaria GPS
Fareed Zakaria GPS takes a comprehensive look at foreign affairs and global policies through in-depth, one-on-one interviews and fascinating roundtable discussions.
- June 28, 2020 | On GPS: Former National Security Advisor Tom Donilon on John Bolton’s memoir; Secretary General Antonio Guterres on the UN at 75 years old.Airdate June 28 2020: John Bolton's book reveals what he did, as Trump's national security advisor. But what should he have done? How should he have responded to Pres. Trump's actions? Obama National Security Advisor Tom Donilon tells Fareed what could have gone differently. Then, the UN celebrates it 75th anniversary. Is it still a force for global cooperation? Can it unite today's multipolar world? Secretary General Antonio Guterres answers these questions and more. And, Trump is trailing in t...Show morehe polls. Fareed talks to New York Times pollster Nate Cohn for the story behind the numbers. Finally, the U.S. once feared circumstances as dire as Italy's amid the Covid-19 crisis. America's new cases are now growing faster than Italy's did at its peak. What changed? Holly Jarman from the University of Michigan's School of Public Health explains.
GUESTS: Thomas Donilon, António Guterres, Nate Cohn, Holly JarmanJun 28, 2020
- June 21, 2020 | On GPS: Bolton's Bombshells & revelations on Ukraine; Israel's upcoming annexation decision; Malcolm Gladwell on race & policing in AmericaAirdate June 21 2020: Fareed gives his Take on John Bolton's new tell all book on the inner workings of the Trump administration. In all the books revelations Fareed says one thing is made clear: "that the real problem with Donald Trump is not his ignorance or his policies, but his character." Bolton paints yet another picture of the Ukraine scandal. In a rare commentary on such issues former Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko weighs in on U.S.-Ukraine relations. Then, to annex or not to annex...Show more? Israeli Prime Minister Bibi Netanyahu is eyeing territories in the West Bank. Why now? Netanyahu's predecessor Ehud Olmert explains. And, a new series on GPS - best practices for beating Covid-19. New York Times China correspondent Vivian Wang tells Fareed what we can learn from Wuhan, and how the former epicenter for the pandemic transformed to be a potential model for how to beat it. Finally, Malcolm Gladwell on race and policing in America.
GUESTS: Petro Poroshenko, Ehud Olmert, Malcolm Gladwell, Vivian WangJun 21, 2020
- June 14, 2020 | America's grim exceptionalism in policing; a Covid-success story from EuropeWhile Italy and Spain hover near 250,000 Covid cases, Greece has only had 3,000. What did it do right? Fareed talks to the Greek Prime Minister. Then, America’s grim exceptionalism - in policing. Rates of fatal shootings by American police are almost 70x those in the UK and more than 20x those in Germany. What makes American policing different? Also, is American policing systemically racist? Fareed explores the question with a professor whose work is studying such issues. Finally, the view from ...Show moreabroad: America's adversaries are celebrating its unrest. What will become of U.S. soft power? Guardian columnist Natalie Nougayrède and FutureMap founder Parag Khanna discuss.
GUESTS: Kyriakos Mitsotakis, Rosa Brooks, Paul Hirschfield, Phillip Atiba Goff, Natalie Nougayrède, Parag Khanna.Jun 14, 2020
- June 7, 2020 | On GPS: George Floyd, Race and Policing in AmericaAirdate June 7 2020: As protests continue over the death of George Floyd, former Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson discusses America's race problem with Fareed. Ben Judah and Nesrine Malik explain why America's outrage at police brutality has reverberated around the world. Then, America's policing problem - why does police misconduct persist despite complaints? Can America effectively reform its law enforcement? The New York Times' Shaila Dewan explains. And, the coronavirus pandemic re...Show moreveals racial inequity in the U.S. health care system. Harvard professor of public health David Williams describes how the African American community is suffering disproportionately during the Covid crisis.
GUESTS: Jeh Johnson, Ben Judah, Nesrine Malik, Shaila Dewan, David WilliamsJun 7, 2020
- May 31, 2020 | On GPS: America's history of violence & racism; China's tightening grip on Hong KongAirdate May 31 2020: After the death of another black man at the hands of police, America erupted in protest. Renowned social activist Bryan Stevenson and Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter Nikole Hannah-Jones discuss America's history of violence and racism with Fareed. Then, Hong Kong's autonomy and its special status are threatened by China's latest power grab over the island. Chris Patten, Hong Kong's last British governor, and Martin Lee, the father of Hong Kong's democracy movement, weigh in ...Show moreon the future of the island territory.
GUESTS: Bryan Stevenson, Nikole Hannah-Jones, Chris Patten, Martin LeeMay 31, 2020
- On GPS: Trump fights the WHO. Beijing fights the Trump administration.Airdate May 24 2020: Trump threatened U.S. withdrawal from the WHO this week, alleging the organization is aligned with China. Is he right? What would the WHO look like without the U.S.? WHO Assistant Director-General Stewart Simonson talks to Fareed. Also, China tightened its grip on Hong Kong and threatened "counter-measures" against America. What's behind Beijing's bold behavior? And just how bad IS China's relationship with the U.S.? Tom Friedman and Zanny Minton Beddoes answer these questio...Show morens and more. Also, former Director of the National Economic Council under President Trump tells Fareed what Americans can and should expect from the economy in the months to come.
GUESTS: Stewart Simonson, Thomas Friedman, Zanny Minton Beddoes, Gary CohnMay 24, 2020
- May 17, 2020 | On GPS: Rahm Emanuel on how to turn the Covid crisis into opportunityAirdate May 17 2020: To reopen or not to reopen, that has been the question. But how do we reopen safely? How do we reopen and reform our economy? First up, former White House Chief of Staff and former Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel on the policies and the politics. Then, doctor and author Atul Gawande on what we can learn from hospitals about lifting lockdowns. And, Beijing's battle with Washington - are China and the U.S. headed for a Cold War? Richard Haass tells Fareed what the Covid crisis has...Show more revealed about the new geopolitical order and our capacity to solve global problems with global solutions. Finally, the world's pandemic problem. Scientific journalist Sonia Shah tells Fareed why the world is seeing more outbreaks of disease.
GUESTS: Rahm Emanuel, Atul Gawande, Richard Haass, Sonia ShahMay 18, 2020
- May 10, 2020 | The Post Covid-19 World - A Fareed Zakaria GPS Special with Tony Blair, Larry Summers, Eric Schmidt, Arianna Huffington, James Fallows and more!Airdate May 10 2020: What will the lasting impact of the Covid crisis be on our politics and our economys? How will it affect the way we travel, the way we learn, the way we live? What's the future of tech, transportation and politics? In this GPS Special, Fareed delves deeply into these questions and more. Tony Blair, Larry Summers, Eric Schmidt, Janette Sadik-Khan, James Fallows, Michael Crow & Arianna Huffington tell Fareed what they see coming in a post Covid-19 world.
GUESTS: Tony Blair...Show more, Larry Summers, Eric Schmidt, Janette Sadik-Khan, James Fallows, Michael Crow, Arianna HuffingtonMay 10, 2020
- May 3, 2020 | On GPS: Trump advisor Peter Navarro on the Covid-19 crisis; the curious case of Sweden & Covid-19Airdate May 3 2020: Fareed interviews Trump economic and trade adviser Peter Navarro on the blame game between China & the US over the spread of Covid-19. Then, the curious case of Sweden - the Scandinavian country has barely locked down but it's death rates are lower than you might imagine. Why? Sweden's Chief Epidemiologist Anders Tegnell tells Fareed. Also, the rise of anti-Asian racism in the wake of Covid-19. GUESTS: Peter Navarro, Anders Tegnell, Jiayang Fan, Erica LeeMay 3, 2020
- April 26, 2020 | On GPS: Bill Gates on overcoming the coronavirus crisisAirdate April 26 2020: Bill Gates tells Fareed what we know now about the coronavirus, when we should expect a vaccine, and when the U.S. will be ready to reopen its economy. Then, where did this novel coronavirus come from? How did it make the leap to humans? Peter Daszak, one of the world's foremost virus hunters, tells Fareed the latest science. GUESTS: Bill Gates, Peter DaszakApr 26, 2020