How To ListenOn your computer On your mobile device Smart speakers
Explore CNNUS World Politics Business
Fareed Zakaria GPS
Fareed Zakaria GPS takes a comprehensive look at foreign affairs and global policies through in-depth, one-on-one interviews and fascinating roundtable discussions.
- All-Star Panel On Russia & Ukraine, Afghanistan And How Long Boris Johnson Can Hold OnFareed asks Richard Haass, David Miliband and Anne Applebaum about what Russia really wants with Ukraine. The panel also tackles the deepening humanitarian crisis in Afghanistan and the fate of Boris Johnson. Then, Rana Foroohar on rising inflation and what it might mean for the long-term global economy.Jan 23, 2022
- Kremlin Spokesman On Russia's Intentions In UkraineIn an exclusive interview Fareed talks to long-time Putin aide Dmitry Peskov about Moscow’s demands for NATO, threats against Ukraine, and further sanctions. Then, fmr. Polish Foreign Minister Radek Sikorski, and former NSC Russia director Thomas Graham, on how the West should respond to Russia. Plus, what has the pandemic revealed about U.S. democracy?Jan 16, 2022
- Covid, Russia, China, And The Economy In 2022Looking ahead at 2022, Fareed asks Dr. Robert Wachter of UCSF how the Covid-19 pandemic will evolve in its third year. Then, will Russia invade Ukraine? Ian Bremmer, president of the Eurasia Group, and Niall Ferguson, senior fellow at Stanford's Hoover Institute, weigh in. Plus, what China and the economy have in store for the new year. Guests: Robert Wachter, Ian Bremmer, Niall Ferguson, Elizabeth Economy, Ruchir Sharma. Air date: 01/09/2022Jan 9, 2022
- Update For January 2, 2022There is no new episode of the GPS showcast. If you haven't already, please check out CNN's other podcasts and showcasts at cnn.com/audio.Jan 2, 2022
- Did 2021 Look More Like 1858 Or 1968?Pulitzer Prize-winning historians Jon Meacham and Doris Kearns Goodwin tell Fareed Zakaria how 2021 will be written down in history. Then, Harvard Law Professors Randall Kennedy and Noah Feldman talk about America’s racial reckoning. Plus, a look at the Christian exodus from the Middle East.Dec 26, 2021
- Hillary Clinton On Pres. Biden, U.S. Politics, And RussiaFareed asks former Democratic Presidential Candidate and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton about the domestic and international politics of the Biden era, plus her new political thriller novel. And, why some high-ranking Israeli officials have buyer's remorse over blowing up the Iran nuclear deal.Dec 19, 2021
- December 12, 2021 | On GPS: U.S. Threatens “Severe Cost” if Russia Invades Ukraine; Angela Merkel’s Era Ends; How Syria Turned Into A NARCO State; Does The Nobel Peace Prize Need A Rethink?Fareed welcomes Anne Applebaum of the Atlantic and Ian Bremner of the Eurasia Group, to discuss the likelihood of Putin’s invasion of Ukraine, and how that would work in the context of a Europe which desperately needs Russian Gas. After, the panel discuss the U.S. leading the diplomatic boycott of the Olympics, which resulted in Australia, The United Kingdom and Canada all following suit. After 16-years in office, Angela Merkel’s era as the Chancellor of Germany has come to and end. Can her shoe...Show mores be filled? Tanit Koch of The New European joins to discuss what to expect from Merkel’s successor Olaf Scholz. Syria descends into a NARCO state as "the New York times" reports its top export now is illegal amphetamines. Fareed talks with the reporter who chased the story, Ben Hubbard, about the illegal drug industry run by associates and relatives of President Bashar Al Assad, which has grown into a multibillion-dollar operation. Finally, Fareed asks: does the Nobel Peace Prize need a rethink? The 19th awardee Abiy Ahmed, Ethiopia's then reform-minded leader has just two years later presided over a bloody civil war. How could the Nobel Committee have gotten things so wrong?Dec 12, 2021
- December 5, 2021 | On GPS: Global vaccine inequality; will the vaccines protect against Omicron?; fears of a Russian invasion of Ukraine grow; will the Iran nuclear deal collapse?Fareed welcomes South African human rights lawyer and the founder of the Health Justice Initiative in South Africa, Fatima Hassan, to discuss travel bans and the unequal distribution of vaccines around the world. Then, will the vaccines hold up against the Omicron variant? Fareed asks Moderna’s founder and chairman, Noubar Afeyan. Also, with tensions on the Russia-Ukarine border increasing, Fareed talks to former NATO Supreme Allied Commander James Stavridis about the upcoming Biden-Putin call a...Show morend the likelihood of a Russian invasion of Ukraine. Then, after this round of Iran nuclear deal talks ended poorly Friday in Vienna, Vali Nasr, professor at John’s Hopkins University and former senior adviser at the U.S. State Department, tells Fareed why Iran is hesitant to continue negotiations and why the U.S. needs a deal to stabilize the Middle East. Plus, how did the Taliban retake Afghanistan quickly and relatively peacefully? Margherita Stancati, a reporter at the Wall Street Journal, reveals their spy tactics and hidden networks.
Dec 5, 2021
- November 21, 2021 | On GPS: Henry Kissinger on the future of U.S.-China relations; a panel on Russian military buildup near Ukraine and Europe’s “fourth wave”; and, how does the pandemic end?Fareed sits down with former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger, the man who originally opened relations with China 50 years ago, to discuss the dangers of a new cold war between Beijing and Washington and how Biden can avoid that outcome. Then, Zanny Minton Beddoes, editor-in-chief of The Economist, and David Miliband, the former British Foreign Secretary, join Fareed for a discussion on Russia’s military build-up on the border of Ukraine, the “fourth wave” of COVID in Europe and Blinken’s firs...Show moret visit to Africa as secretary of state. Plus, when and how will the pandemic end? Fareed asks infectious disease specialist and epidemiologist Dr. Céline Gounder.
Nov 21, 2021
- November 14, 2021 | On GPS: Why is inflation rising?; America’s trucker shortage; U.S. reacts to Russian military escalations near Ukraine; and, the crisis at the Belarus-Poland BorderAs U.S. inflation rises at the fastest pace in over 30 years, Fareed asks former U.S. Treasury Secretary Larry Summers why it is happening and how it can be stopped.
Then, as supply chain problems persist, Fareed asks New York Times correspondent Ana Swanson about America's puzzling shortage of truckers.
And earlier this week the U.S. warned Russia not to make a “serious mistake” by rehashing its 2014 invasion of Ukraine. Fareed asks former National Security Council official Fiona Hill i...Show moref another invasion is possible.
Plus, a voice from the world’s hottest continent. Vanessa Nakate talks to Fareed about why Africa should be front of mind in the climate discussion.
Finally, has Belarus manufactured a heartbreaking migration crisis for political revenge? Fareed explains.Nov 14, 2021