How To ListenOn your computer On your mobile device Smart speakers
Explore CNNUS World Politics Business
State of the Union with Jake Tapper
Hosted by CNN's Jake Tapper, State of the Union features interviews with top newsmakers on politics and policy - covering Washington, the country and the world.
- Interviews with: Rep. James Clyburn, Sen. Bill Cassidy, Rep. Michael McCaul, US Surgeon General Dr. Vivek Murthy.On the eve of Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Jake sits down with House Majority Whip Rep. James Clyburn to examine how the civil rights leader’s legacy ties to voting rights battles in Congress today. Then, Jake asks Louisiana Sen. Bill Cassidy about Republican opposition to Democrats’ election reform bill. Afterwards, Rep. Michael McCaul, the top Republican on the House Foreign Affairs Committee, discusses how the United States should respond if Russia invades Ukraine. Next, with Covid-19 infectio...Show moren rates and hospitalizations the highest yet, Jake speaks with US Surgeon General Dr. Vivek Murthy about when the Omicron surge will peak and what the Biden administration is doing to ensure tests are available. Finally, Jake closes with an important message about former President Trump’s plan to put loyalists in key positions to advance his seditious conspiracy agenda.Jan 16, 2022
- Interviews with: Secretary of State Antony Blinken, New York City Mayor Eric Adams and Governor of Arkansas Asa Hutchinson.First, Jake interviews Secretary of State Antony Blinken about Russian aggression overseas and the key test it represents for President Biden. The US vows “massive consequences” if Russia invades Ukraine, but with democracy in peril at home, does the US have leverage? Next, with thousands of kids across the US back to virtual learning due to the Omicron spread, New York City Mayor Eric Adams is drawing a line. He joins Jake to discuss how we can protect the education of our children and also def...Show moreends the plan to let legal non-citizens vote in NYC.
Then, Jake speaks with Arkansas Governor Asa Hutchinson, about how on the anniversary of the insurrection Republican Senator Ted Cruz called January 6 a “terrorist attack” before backtracking during a Fox interview, plus his view on Biden’s vaccine mandates for businesses and the issue of Covid cases skyrocketing to record highs in his state.
Finally, is January 6 who we are? Jake gives an analysis of the Capitol insurrection one year after the attack.Jan 9, 2022
- Interviews with: Rep. Bennie Thompson, Gov. Larry Hogan, Dr. Anthony Fauci, Remembering Sen. Harry ReidFirst, Dana sits down with the Chairman of the Select Committee to Investigate the January 6th Attack of the United States Capitol Rep. Bennie Thompson to review what the committee has learned about the impetus of the attack and the role of the former president. Next, as Omicron causes a tidal wave of hospitalizations, travel delays, and school closures, Dana asks Chief Medical Adviser to the President Dr. Anthony Fauci if Americans should be preparing for major societal disruptions in the comin...Show moreg weeks. Then, Republican Gov. Larry Hogan of Maryland joins to denounce former President Trump’s election lies and review his pandemic response as Maryland hospitals near full capacity. Finally, former Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid died this week at age 82. Dana remembers his legacy and his parting words to Democrats.Jan 2, 2022
- Interviews with: Democratic Rep. Debbie Dingell, Republican Rep. Fred Upton, US Surgeon General Dr. Vivek Murthy and Longtime Hillary Clinton Aide Huma AbedinFirst, Democratic Rep. Debbie Dingell and Republican Rep. Fred Upton join CNN’s Dana Bash to discuss the hostility on Capitol Hill, the hate and polarization in communities across the country, and their thoughts on the whitewashing of the Capitol insurrection. Then, US Surgeon General Dr. Vivek Murthy details how the pandemic has taken a toll on the mental health of America's youth. Finally, longtime aide to Hillary Clinton Huma Abedin is the author of "Both/And: A Life in Many Worlds." She tell...Show mores Dana about "final straw" in her marriage to former Rep. Anthony Weiner.Dec 26, 2021
- Interviews with: Dr. Anthony Fauci, Gov. Chris Sununu, Sen. Bernie Sanders, Rep. Adam Kinzinger, Rep. Ayanna Pressley.First, Chief Medical Adviser Dr. Anthony Fauci outlines how officials and health experts are responding to the Omicron surge that’s forcing event cancellations throughout the country. Then, with a record number of statewide hospitalizations, New Hampshire Gov. Chris Sununu summarizes his plan to reduce the spread. Next, Senator Bernie Sanders responds to breaking news that Senator Joe Manchin says he will vote to sink Biden’s Build Back Better bill. After that, Jake presses January 6th House Sel...Show moreect Committee member Rep. Adam Kinzinger on the latest in the investigation into the Capitol insurrection. Finally, Congresswoman Ayanna Pressley says Manchin voting no on Build Back Better will contradict the needs of his constituents and the American people.Dec 19, 2021
- Interviews with: Governor of Kentucky Andy Beshear, FEMA administrator Deanne Criswell, Mayor of New York Bill de Blasio, Arkansas Governor Asa Hutchinson and Democratic Sen. Amy KlobucharAfter an historic swarm of deadly tornadoes tore through six states in the Midwest and rescuers scramble to find survivors, Jake speaks with Kentucky Governor Andy Beshear about the devastating impact on his community and asks FEMA administrator Deanne Criswell about what the federal government is doing to help. Next, with Covid cases on the rise and vaccine resistance still high in parts of the United States, how far should the government go to make sure everyone gets vaccinated? New York Mayor...Show more Bill de Blasio and Arkansas Governor Asa Hutchinson join Jake to debate their opposing views on vaccine mandates.
Then, with President Biden’s social safety net legislation facing a critical week ahead in the Senate, Jake asks Democratic Sen. Amy Klobuchar if her party will be able to pass the bill by Christmas. Finally, Jake reports on the January 6 committee uncovering more details about Trump allies’ efforts to steal the 2020 election and looks at the ways in which they’re laying the groundwork to try again in 2024.Dec 12, 2021
- Interviews with: Dr. Anthony Fauci, Gov. Tate Reeves, Rep. Ilhan Omar, Sen. Chris Murphy.First, Jake has Chief Medical Adviser to President Biden Dr. Anthony Fauci respond to GOP Senator Ron Johnson's claims that Fauci is creating fear and “overhyping” the threat from covid. Then, with the fate of nationwide abortion rights in limbo, Mississippi Gov. Tate Reeves tells Jake he’s cautiously optimistic the Supreme Court will ultimately overturn Roe v. Wade. Next, Rep. Ilhan Omar joins Jake to outline what congressional action should be taken against GOP Rep. Lauren Boebert for suggesti...Show moreng Omar was a terrorist. After that, Jake sits down with Connecticut Senator Chris Murphy to discuss gun reform in the wake of the deadly Michigan school shooting. Finally, Jake criticizes corporations and professional sports organizations for failing to take a stand against China’s human rights abuses.
Dec 5, 2021
- Interviews with: NIH Director Dr. Francis Collins, Arkansas Governor Asa Hutchinson, Rep. Adam Schiff and Rep. Josh GottheimerFirst Dana talks with NIH Director Dr. Francis Collins about why the Omicron covid variant has experts worried and why it’s a prudent time for Americans who are eligible to get their booster shots. Next, Dana asks GOP Arkansas Governor Asa Hutchinson, if his state is ready to deal with the Omicron variant, given Arkansas' low vaccination rate. Then, they discuss how Biden ‘needs to correct’ his response to inflation, and Hutchinson says that House Republican Leader Kevin McCarthy should condemn ...Show moreGOP Rep. Lauren Boebert for suggesting Democratic Rep. Ilhan Omar was a terrorist.
After that, Dana speaks with Democratic Rep. Adam Schiff, a member of the House January 6 Committee, who says they are ‘determined to get answers’ on former President Trump’s role in the insurrection. A decision is likely this week on former White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows’ contempt charges, but is the January 6 committee making progress with the rest of its investigation? Later, Dana and the panel discuss the tricky negations ahead to pass Biden’s social safety net package through the Senate, as the Democrats try to find consensus on paid leave and taxes. Finally, Dana hits the campaign trail with ‘man in the middle’ of the political battlefield, Democratic Rep. Josh Gottheimer.Nov 28, 2021
- Interviews with New Hampshire Governor Chris Sununu, Virginia Lt. Gov. Winsome Sears, Democratic candidate for Governor of Texas Beto O’Rourke, Chief Biden Medical Adviser Anthony Fauci.First, Dana speaks with New Hampshire GOP Governor Chris Sununu about the cost and economic implications of Biden’s Build Back Better Act, his decision not to run for the Senate in 2022, and the state of the Republican Party.
Then Dana sits down with Republican Winsome Sears who recently became the first woman elected lieutenant governor in Virginia. Dana also presses Sears on her position on vaccine requirements and how race should be taught about in schools.
Next, Dana asks Democratic ca...Show morendidate for Governor of Texas Beto O’Rourke about his uphill battle to turn his state blue in 2022, as well as his past positions on gun control.
Finally, Dana has Chief Biden Medical Adviser Anthony Fauci clear up any lingering confusion as to who needs booster shots, and asks whether booster shots are required for adults to be considered “fully-vaccinated.”
Nov 21, 2021
- Interviews with White House Economic Adviser Brian Deese, Republican Rep. Fred Upton, Democratic Rep. Karen Bass and Republican Rep. Anthony GonzalezFirst, Jake presses White House Director of the National Economic Council Brian Deese on what the Biden administration is doing to address soaring prices as inflation hits 6.2%.
Then, Jake discusses Steve Bannon's indictment with Republican Rep. Fred Upton and asks him whether he would be willing to vote to hold former Chief of Staff Mark Meadows in contempt of Congress after he defied a subpoena. He also discusses the death threats he received after voting for the bipartisan infrastructure ...Show morebill.
Next, Jake interviews Los Angeles Mayoral candidate and California Democratic Rep. Karen Bass about the steps she wants to see in order to remedy California's record high gas prices and the ongoing supply chain crisis.
Finally, Jake sits down with Republican Rep. Anthony Gonzalez in an exclusive interview to ask what led him to break with his party over the Big Lie and what he's worried former President Trump is trying to do ahead of the 2024 presidential election.Nov 14, 2021