February 19, 2024 - Russia-Ukraine news

By Christian Edwards, Antoinette Radford, Aditi Sangal, Elise Hammond and Maureen Chowdhury, CNN

Updated 12:04 a.m. ET, February 20, 2024
29 Posts
Sort byDropdown arrow
3:49 p.m. ET, February 19, 2024

Russian UN ambassador accuses Western countries of politicizing Navalny's death

From CNN’s Richard Roth and Zahid Mahmood

Russia's ambassador to the United Nations accused Western countries of politicizing Russian opposition figure Alexey Navalny’s death.

Vassily Nebenzia said the investigation into the death of Navalny has “not concluded yet” and the “exact cause of death” has not been disclosed. 

“Our Western colleagues rushed to claim that the death was the responsibility of the Putin regime,” Nebenzia said, speaking at a media stakeout at the UN Security Council.

Earlier, the Kremlin said that an investigation into the circumstances around Navalny’s death is underway and the results are unknown.

Several nations have summoned the Russian ambassador to their countries over Navalny's death. On Monday, Spain’s Foreign Minister José Manuel Albares and the Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs summoned the ambassador to their countries.

It follows similar actions taken by the United Kingdom and Germany since Navalny’s reported death on Friday. 

CNN’s Al Goodman, Benjamin Brown and Caitlin Danaher contributed reporting to this post.

3:10 p.m. ET, February 19, 2024

NATO's Stoltenberg urges US to "deliver what they promised" and facilitate Ukraine with support package 

From CNN’s Duarte Mendonca

North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg urged the United States to "deliver what they promised," by facilitating Ukraine with a support package to help in their defense against Russian aggression. 

Speaking to CNN’s Christiane Amanpour on Saturday, Stoltenberg said it was vital and urgent that the US decide on a package for Ukraine.  

"What I can say is the vital and urgent need for the US to decide on a package for Ukraine, because they need that support and we have a burden sharing between Europe and Canada and United States," Stoltenberg said in a discussion panel during the Munich Security Council. 

Stoltenberg reminded the audience in attendance that Ukraine is currently running low on resources, particularly ammunition.

“At the beginning of the war in Ukraine, we depleted our stocks, but now they are running quite low. So now we are focusing extremely also very much on how to ramp up production,” Stoltenberg said.

The NATO secretary general went on to announce that “there are new factories being set up, production has increased, but there is urgent need to do more.”

Last week, the US Senate passed a $95.3 billion foreign aid bill with assistance for Ukraine, but the bill faces an uncertain future in the US House of Representatives, where House Speaker Mike Johnson has signaled he will not bring it for a vote.

1:23 p.m. ET, February 19, 2024

China tells Ukraine it does not sell weapons to parties in conflict

From CNN’s Sahar Akbarzai and Simone McCarthy

Chinese Foreign Minister, Wang Yi speaks during the 2024 Munich Security Conference on February 17, in Munich, Germany.
Chinese Foreign Minister, Wang Yi speaks during the 2024 Munich Security Conference on February 17, in Munich, Germany. Johannes Simon/Getty Images

China does not sell lethal weapons to parties in conflict, the country's top diplomat told his Ukrainian counterpart over the weekend, during their meeting at the Munich Security Conference.

Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said Beijing does not add “fuel to the fire” and will continue to play a constructive role in ending the Russia-Ukraine war, according to a statement published Sunday by China’s Foreign Ministry.

China claims impartiality in the war but has refused to condemn Moscow's illegal invasion and has acted as an increasingly critical lifeline for the sanctions-hit Russian economy.

Meanwhile, United States officials have repeatedly raised concerns with China about evidence it has suggesting that Chinese companies have sold non-lethal equipment to Russia for use in Ukraine. Last year, a US intel report said China was providing technology and equipment to Russia that was increasingly important to Moscow’s war.

Despite its close ties with Moscow, Beijing has also attempted to promote itself as a peace broker in the conflict — a position reiterated by Wang in remarks at the conference Saturday.

"China has never given up on promoting peace or slackened its efforts to facilitate talks," he said, adding that Chinese leader Xi Jinping "had in-depth exchanges with world leaders including Russian and Ukrainian leaders, playing a constructive role in addressing the crisis."

Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba said on X that he spoke with Wang about "bilateral relations, trade, and the need to restore a just and lasting peace in Ukraine."

2:01 p.m. ET, February 19, 2024

Ukraine's military is monitoring how Russian forces are redirecting resources after capturing Avdiivka

From CNN's Radina Gigova and Svitlana Vlasova

The Ukrainian military is monitoring how Russian forces are regrouping and preparing for their next moves after capturing the eastern town of Avdiivka in Donetsk region, Ukrainian military spokesperson said Monday. 

Illia Yevlash, spokesperson for the Eastern Group of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, said now Russian forces had won Advdiivka, they would be able to move their forces wherever else they deemed necessary.

Yevlash said many brigades who had been involved in taking Adviivka, including intelligence units, special operations units, artillery, paratroopers and motorized infantry units could now be redirected.

"So now we will be actively monitoring how they will regroup. Usually, they need some time, about a week, to regroup, move their units, and then we will monitor where they will start to pressure," Yevlash said in an interview with Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty on Monday. 

Russian forces have been attacking areas near Bakhmut and Mariinka in the Donetsk region, pushing towards the city of Kupiansk in Kharkiv region in the north, and amassing forces in Zhaporizhzhia region in the south. 

12:41 p.m. ET, February 19, 2024

The Kremlin has never been richer — thanks to a US strategic partner

From CNN's Nick Paton Walsh and Florence Davey-Attlee

Two dark fleet oil tankers engaged in a possible ship-to-ship transfer of Russian crude oil in the Laconian Gulf in early February. CNN has added blur to this image to protect the identities of the ships.
Two dark fleet oil tankers engaged in a possible ship-to-ship transfer of Russian crude oil in the Laconian Gulf in early February. CNN has added blur to this image to protect the identities of the ships. Florence Davey-Attlee/CNN

Russia is entering its third year of war in Ukraine with an unprecedented amount of cash in government coffers, bolstered by a record $37 billion of crude oil sales to India last year, according to a new analysis, which concludes that some of the crude was refined by India and then exported to the United States as oil products worth more than $1 billion.

This flow of payments, ultimately to Moscow’s benefit, comes from India increasing its purchases of Russian crude by over 13 times its pre-war amounts, according to the Centre for Research on Energy and Clean Air analysis, exclusively shared with CNN. It amounts to US strategic partner New Delhi stepping in to replace crude purchases by Western buyers, reduced by sanctions over Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, the analysis said.

Not sanctioned: While Russian crude sales to India are not subject to sanctions and are entirely legitimate, an examination of shipping routes by experts suggests this huge volume of shipments might involve the so-called “shadow fleet” of crude tankers, specially created by Moscow to try to disguise who it is trading with and how, and maximize the Kremlin’s profits.

Read the full story.

12:30 p.m. ET, February 19, 2024

Some of Navalny's correspondence while held in captivity have been published

From CNN’s Anna Chernova and Zahid Mahmood

Letters and correspondence obtained by the Free Press (FP), a US based media company and independent media organization Holod.Media show Russian opposition leader Alexey Navalny – who died at the age of 47 – had been communicating with famous refusenik Natan Sharansky and readers of Holod.Media at the organization’s request. 

The term “refusenik” referred to those who had been refused exit visas in the Soviet Union.

The correspondence began between Navalny and Sharansky on April 3, 2023, and lasted until April 17, 2023, according to the letters published by the FP. The FP published two letters Navalny wrote to Sharansky and one letter Sharansky wrote in response.  

Navalny’s team told CNN that it is “safe to presume” the letters were written by Navalny. 

The letters published by the FP show a shared humor between the two, as Sharansky called the punishment cell where he was held his “alma mater” and Navalny joked there was no better place to spend the Holy Week (Easter week) than in a punishment cell, according to the FP.  

Navalny was the first to reach out to Sharansky on April 3 of last year from penal colony IK-6, saying that he was expecting to be transferred to the same colony where Sharansky once served his sentence and adding that there will “probably be a plaque” saying “Natan Sharansky was held here,” according to letters published by the FP.

The FP say Navalny obtained a Russian copy of Sharansky’s memoir ‘Fear No Evil’ from his lawyers before reaching out. In a second letter, Sharansky said he received a “kind shock” after receiving his letter and responded to him “not only as an ‘author to reader’” but also as an “admirer.”

11:26 a.m. ET, February 19, 2024

US House Republicans are making a "big mistake" by not responding to Russia, Biden says

From CNN’s Nikki Carvajal and MJ Lee

U.S. President Joe Biden talks briefly with reporters after returning to the White House on February 19, in Washington, DC.
U.S. President Joe Biden talks briefly with reporters after returning to the White House on February 19, in Washington, DC. Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images

US President Joe Biden said House Republicans are “making a big mistake” in not responding to Russian aggression with more security funding for Ukraine. Biden added he’s willing to meet with House Speaker Mike Johnson about the matter “if he has anything to say.” 

“They’re making a big mistake not responding,” Biden said on Monday. “Look, the way they’re walking away from the threat of Russia, the way they’re walking away from the threat of NATO, the way they’re walking away from meeting our obligation, it’s shocking. I’ve never seen anything like this.” 

He did not sound optimistic when asked if he thought Alexey Navalny’s death would do anything to nudge the House GOP toward taking up the bill. “I hope so, but I’m not sure anything is going to change,” he said. 

He also said he was considering additional sanctions in the wake of Navalny’s death in a Russian prison camp.

11:16 a.m. ET, February 19, 2024

Navalny's widow says she will pick up his mantle after blaming Putin for his death. Here's the latest news

From CNN Staff

Three days after Russian prison services announced that Kremlin critic Alexey Navalny had died, his widow Yulia Navalnaya vowed to continue his mission to create a "happy, beautiful Russia."

The jailed Russian opposition figure died Friday at a penal colony north of the Arctic Circle, according to the Russian prison service. He was serving multiple sentences for fraud, extremism and other charges that he dismissed as politically motivated.

In an 8-minute-long address on social media, Navalnaya accused President Vladimir Putin of being responsible for his death while saying authorities were hiding her late husband's body, suggesting he had been poisoned.

Separately, Navalny's spokesperson said on X that his body will not be returned to the family for at least another 14 days.

Meanwhile, on the battlefront, Ukrainian forces on Friday announced their withdrawal from Avdiivka, a key town that in recent months became one of the most fiercely contested battles on the eastern front.

Here's what else to know this morning:

  • Hundreds arrested: At least 366 people have reportedly been detained across Russia since Friday for attending vigils and rallies in honor of Navalny, according to OVD-Info, a human rights group that monitors Russian repression.
  • Mother denied access: Navalny's mother and lawyers were denied access Monday to a morgue where his body was believed to be held, a spokesperson says. Navalnaya claimed her late husband's body was being hidden as it would contain evidence of poisoning. The Kremlin has said the investigation into Navalny's cause of death was ongoing.
  • EU renames sanctions: The European Union will rename its human rights sanctions regime to pay homage to Navalny, changing the name to the "Navalny human rights sanction regime," the bloc's foreign policy chief Josep Borrell said Monday.

  • Pressure on Ukraine: In addition to withdrawing from Avdiivka, Ukraine’s army is also under pressure at several other points along the front line that meanders for about 1,000 kilometers from the border with Russia in the north to the Black Sea. On Monday, President Volodymyr Zelensky visited positions in the Kupiansk sector in Kharkiv region.
  • Biden weighs in: US President Joe Biden said House Republicans are “making a big mistake” in not responding to Russian aggression with more security funding for Ukraine and said he’s willing to meet with House Speaker Mike Johnson about the matter “if he has anything to say.”
  • US Army expenditure: As US funding for Ukraine faces an uncertain future, the US Army has been left to foot the bill for hundreds of millions of dollars in support for Ukraine’s war effort over the past few months. Army officials are also increasingly concerned that without new funding, they will have to begin pulling money from other critical projects to continue supporting Kyiv.
11:23 a.m. ET, February 19, 2024

Navalny's body will not be released to family for another 14 days, Navalny spokesperson says

From CNN staff

Jailed Russian opposition figure Alexey Navalny is seen on a screen via a video link from the IK-3 penal colony during a hearing of his complaint at the Supreme Court in Moscow, Russia, on January 11.
Jailed Russian opposition figure Alexey Navalny is seen on a screen via a video link from the IK-3 penal colony during a hearing of his complaint at the Supreme Court in Moscow, Russia, on January 11. Vera Savina/AFP/Getty Images

Alexey Navalny’s body will not be returned to the family for at least another 14 days, said Navalny’s spokesperson, Kira Yarmish, in a post on X (formerly Twitter).

His body will be under “some sort of chemical examination” in that period, she added.

Navalny's widow has accused President Vladimir Putin of being responsible for his death.