July 7, 2023 - Russia-Ukraine news

By Tara Subramaniam, Rob Picheta, Ed Upright, Aditi Sangal, Adrienne Vogt, Matt Meyer, Elise Hammond and Amir Vera, CNN

Updated 3:32 a.m. ET, July 8, 2023
29 Posts
Sort byDropdown arrow
3:42 p.m. ET, July 7, 2023

UN chief is against use of cluster munitions, spokesperson says

From CNN’s Eve Brennan

United Nations Secretary General Antonio Guterres speaks at a press briefing at the UN Headquarters on July 6.
United Nations Secretary General Antonio Guterres speaks at a press briefing at the UN Headquarters on July 6. Lev Radin/Pacific Press/LightRocket/Getty Images

United Nations Secretary General Antonio Guterres is against the use of cluster munitions, his deputy spokesperson Farhan Haq said at a news briefing on Friday.

Defense officials told CNN that the US is expected to announce a new military aid package to Ukraine on Friday that will include cluster munitions for the first time.

“The Secretary General supports the Convention on Cluster Munitions (CCM), which, as you know, was adopted 15 years ago, and he wants countries to abide by the terms of that convention,” Haq said. 

“So, as a result, of course, he does not want there to be continued use of cluster munitions on the battlefield,” he added. 

The convention prohibits all use, stockpiling, production and transfer of cluster munitions. 

About the weapons: Cluster munitions are banned by over 100 countries because they scatter “bomblets” across large areas that can fail to explode on impact and can pose a long-term risk to anyone who encounters them, similar to landmines. The US and Ukraine are not signatories to that ban, however. 

CNN's Natasha Bertrand contributed reporting to this post.

1:54 p.m. ET, July 7, 2023

Sen. Lindsey Graham calls for bipartisan US Senate resolution urging Ukraine admission into NATO

From CNN's Nicky Robertson and Kylie Atwood

US Senator Lindsey Graham speaks at a hearing of the Senate Judiciary Committee at the US Capitol in Washington, DC, on June 13.
US Senator Lindsey Graham speaks at a hearing of the Senate Judiciary Committee at the US Capitol in Washington, DC, on June 13. Alamy Live News/AP

US Sen. Lindsey Graham, a Republican from South Carolina, said Friday that he is working on a bipartisan resolution that would urge Ukraine's admittance to the NATO defense alliance. 

“I will be working with Republicans and Democrats in the Senate to pass a resolution urging the admission of Ukraine into NATO,” Graham tweeted. “The best way to prevent future wars and promote peace is to create security guarantees that make aggressor nations think twice before starting wars.”

This comes ahead of a critical NATO summit next week where Ukraine will be at the top of the agenda. Kyiv itself has long sought membership in the alliance, though Ukraine has acknowledged that its accession would have to wait until after the war with Russia concludes.

Graham has been a staunch supporter of Ukraine, and earlier this week said he supported sending the controversial cluster munitions from the United States.

Sen. James Risch, the top Republican on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, told reporters that he supports Ukraine joining NATO but not until the war is over. 

“I'm like everybody else, I want them in, I want them in as soon as possible. On the other hand, there are some practical problems with them coming in, and those need to be ironed out,” Risch told reporters. 

He said the major sticking point right now is the obvious: “The war being over. And having their territory back. Once that happens, I am all in.”

Risch didn’t express concern about the Biden administration’s approach to the NATO summit next week, where it is not expected that the US will back language officially inviting Ukraine into NATO despite that push from some members of the alliance.

1:19 p.m. ET, July 7, 2023

US sending cluster munitions to Ukraine would be a "move of desperation," Russian ambassador says

From CNN's Radina Gigova

The United States’ intention to provide cluster munitions to Ukraine is "a move of desperation" as Kyiv’s counteroffensive did not go according to plan, Russia's Ambassador to Belarus Boris Gryzlov said Friday. 

"Now, the ‘hawks’ in the West have realized that the much-advertised counter-offensive of the Ukrainian armed forces did not go according to plan, so they are trying at all costs to give at least some impetus to it. In fact, it is a move of desperation," Gryzlov told Russian state news agency TASS.

CNN first reported last week that US President Joe Biden’s administration was strongly considering approving the transfer of the controversial weapons to Ukraine. The Russian ambassador claimed the US has been talking about potentially sending the weapons since the spring.

If the US decides to proceed with the move, it would once again prove that "neither Washington nor its NATO allies want peace, and they will stop at literally nothing in their bid to achieve the elusive goal of inflicting a strategic defeat on Russia," he added. 

What the weapons do: Also called cluster bombs, cluster munitions are canisters that carry tens to hundreds of smaller bomblets, also known as submunitions. The canisters break open at a prescribed height, depending upon the area of the intended target, and the bomblets inside spread out over that area.

They are fused by a timer to explode closer to or on the ground, spreading shrapnel that is designed to kill troops or take out armored vehicles such as tanks.

The use of cluster munitions in the war: Both the Ukrainians and the Russians have used cluster bombs since Moscow’s forces invaded in February 2022. More recently, Ukrainian forces have begun using Turkish-provided cluster munitions on the battlefield.

But Ukrainian officials have been pushing the US to provide its cluster munitions since last year, arguing that they would provide more ammunition for Western-provided artillery and rocket systems, and help narrow Russia’s numerical superiority in artillery.

CNN's Brad Lendon contributed reporting to this post. 

3:34 p.m. ET, July 7, 2023

It's nighttime in Kyiv. Catch up on the latest developments in the war 

From CNN staff

A communal worker sweeps outside an apartment building in the western Ukrainian city of Lviv, on July 7, a day after it was partially destroyed by a missile strike.
A communal worker sweeps outside an apartment building in the western Ukrainian city of Lviv, on July 7, a day after it was partially destroyed by a missile strike. Yuriy Dyachyshyn/AFP/Getty Images

The NATO summit in Vilnius, Lithuania, is fast approaching while the future of the Black Sea grain deal remains uncertain and the whereabouts of Wagner founder Yevgeny Prighozhin are still unknown.

Here's what you need to know:

US expected to announce cluster munitions for Ukraine: The United States is expected to announce a new military aid package for Ukraine on Friday that will include cluster munitions for the first time, defense officials have told CNN. US President Joe Biden’s administration has reportedly been strongly considering approving the transfer of the controversial weapons to Kyiv as its forces struggle to make major gains in the counteroffensive. Meanwhile, Germany will not send cluster munitions to Ukraine as it is a signatory to a convention banning the production and use of that type of weapon, the country's defense minister Boris Pistorius said earlier Friday.

Deadly Lviv strikes: The death toll from Thursday's Russian strike in the western city of Lviv rose to at least 10. More than 9,000 Ukrainian civilians have been killed since Russia's full-scale invasion, according to the UN. The UN warned that the true number of fatalities could be much higher than what they have been able to confirm.

Ukraine repels more attacks and claims advances in east: Ukraine's air defenses intercepted 12 of 18 Iran-made Shahed attack drones launched by Russia overnight into Thursday, the Ukrainian Air Force said, adding that the drones came from the southeast. The statement did not mention what happened to the six drones that were not destroyed nor any damage they may have caused. Meanwhile, Ukraine's military claimed troops have moved forward by more than a kilometer (0.6 miles) around the embattled eastern city of Bakhmut in the past 24 hours as it continues to apply pressure on Russian forces in the area. 

NATO discussions: NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said Friday he expects leaders at the US-led alliance's summit next week to "reaffirm that Ukraine will become a member of NATO." Meanwhile, some hurdles still remain to be overcome for Sweden to accede to NATO as Turkey remains opposed, he said. As NATO prepares for its summit, Zelensky is expected to likely discuss the Black Sea grain deal with his Turkish counterpart in Istanbul on Friday. The deal, which is vital for global food security, is set to expire July 17.

Prigozhin's whereabouts unclear: Belarusian leader Alexander Lukashenko was noncommittal in an answer to CNN during a news conference in Minsk on Thursday, saying the Wagner boss "is in St Petersburg," or perhaps "would travel to Moscow." When asked if the Kremlin is aware of Prigozhin's whereabouts, spokesperson Dmitry Peskov said he was "not commenting on that right now.” Prigozhin has not been seen in public since his short-lived uprising ended on June 24.

Here's a look at where things stand in Ukraine:

12:18 p.m. ET, July 7, 2023

Lviv mayor criticizes UNESCO's reaction to Russian attack that killed 10

From CNN’s Mariya Knight

Lviv mayor Andriy Sadovyi (C), talks with residents of a four-story residential building hit by a missile on July 6 in Lviv, Ukraine.
Lviv mayor Andriy Sadovyi (C), talks with residents of a four-story residential building hit by a missile on July 6 in Lviv, Ukraine. Stanislav Ivanov/Global Images Ukraine/Getty Images

Lviv Mayor Andriy Sadovyi said the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization's reaction to Thursday's deadly Russian attack on the western Ukrainian city didn't go far enough.

“Yesterday, UNESCO condemned the rocket attacks on the historic center of Lviv,” Sadovyi wrote in a Telegram post Friday. “They didn't even dare to name the terrorist country that is carrying out these attacks,” adding that “Russia remains a member of the executive committee of the organization.” 

On Thursday, UNESCO issued an official statement about hitting a historic building in Lviv, which is located in the buffer zone of the city's Historic Centre Ensemble, a World Heritage Site. It said that the missile strike was a violation of the World Heritage Convention and the 1954 Hague Convention for the Protection of Cultural Property in the Event of Armed Conflict. The attack was the first to take place in an area protected by the convention since the start of the full-scale invasion, the agency said.

However, the statement did not specify who was behind the attack. 

Sadovyi said a UNESCO representatives should have visited the site of the attack, which has killed at least 10 people and injured 42 others.

11:51 a.m. ET, July 7, 2023

Lack of unity on Sweden and Ukraine's NATO membership threatens the alliance, Zelensky says

From Svitlana Vlasova

Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelensky makes a statement to the press after his meeting with Slovakia's President Zuzana Caputova at the Presidential Palace in Bratislava, Slovakia, on July 7.
Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelensky makes a statement to the press after his meeting with Slovakia's President Zuzana Caputova at the Presidential Palace in Bratislava, Slovakia, on July 7. Radovan Stoklasa/Reuters

The lack of unity among NATO members on Sweden and Ukraine’s accession is threatening the strength of the US-led alliance, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky says.

“We are expecting unity from the NATO Alliance. NATO’s strength is in unity," Zelensky said during a news conference in Bratislava, Slovakia.
"It is very important for the NATO states to know that they are protected. And through unity, they feel protected. And I think there is still a question about Sweden, a question whether or not to invite Ukraine, I think it lacks unity,” he added.. “And I think it threatens the strength of the NATO alliance.”

Ahead of the NATO summit next week in Vilnius, Lithuania, Zelensky said he is looking for "steps towards these positive results. This is very important for the safety of the whole world."

8:50 a.m. ET, July 7, 2023

Poland, Lithuania and Latvia warn NATO about threat from Belarus 

From CNN’s Mariya Knight in Atlanta 

Presidents of Lithuania, Poland and Latvia wrote a letter to the NATO Secretary General and the heads of the NATO alliance, warning them about the threat "posed by Russia’s aggressive actions and the evolving situation in Belarus."

"The cooperation between Russia and Belarus has deteriorated the security of the region and that of the entire Euro-Atlantic area,” Presidents Gitanas Nausėda, Andrzej Duda and Egils Levits stated, according to the Lithuanian President’s Communication Group.

They pointed to Russia's use of Belarusian territory in its war against Ukraine, and Moscow stationing tactical nuclear weapons on the territory of Belarus, calling it "an escalatory move" and "a direct threat to the security of our community."

9:15 a.m. ET, July 7, 2023

The US is expected to supply cluster munitions to Ukraine. Here's why that's controversial

From CNN's Brad Lendon

The remains of a rocket that carried cluster munitions found in a field in the countryside of Kherson region on April 28.
The remains of a rocket that carried cluster munitions found in a field in the countryside of Kherson region on April 28. Alice Martins/For The Washington Post/Getty Images

The United States is expected to announce a new military aid package for Ukraine on Friday that will include cluster munitions for the first time, defense officials have told CNN.

CNN first reported last week that US President Joe Biden’s administration was strongly considering approving the transfer of the controversial weapons to Ukraine, whose forces have been struggling to make major gains in a weeks-long counteroffensive.

Here’s what you need to know:

  • What is a cluster munition? Cluster munitions, also called cluster bombs, are canisters that carry tens to hundreds of smaller bomblets, also known as submunitions. The canisters break open at a prescribed height, depending upon the area of the intended target, and the bomblets inside spread out over that area. They are fused by a timer to explode closer to or on the ground, spreading shrapnel that is designed to kill troops or take out armored vehicles such as tanks.
  • What type of cluster bomb is the US said to be giving to Ukraine? The US has a stockpile of cluster munitions known as DPICMs, or dual-purpose improved conventional munitions, that it no longer uses after phasing them out in 2016. The bomblets in a DPICM have shaped charges that, when striking a tank or armored vehicle, “create a metallic jet that perforates metallic armor,” according to an article on the US Army’s eArmor website.
  • Why are cluster munitions more controversial than other bombs? As the bomblets fall over a wide area, they can endanger non-combatants. In addition, somewhere between 10% to 40% of the munitions fail, according to the International Committee of the Red Cross. The unexploded munitions can then be detonated by civilian activity years or even decades later. The Cluster Munition Coalition, an activist group trying to get the weapons banned everywhere, says potentially deadly cluster submunitions still lie dormant in Laos and Vietnam 50 years after their use. In a statement Friday, Human Rights Watch said both Ukraine and Russia had killed civilians with their use of cluster munitions in the war so far.

Read more about the controversial weapons here.

10:24 a.m. ET, July 7, 2023

CNN tours a disused military camp in Belarus that could be used by Wagner fighters if they arrive

From CNN's Matthew Chance, Katharina Krebs, Luis Graham-Yooll, and Mick Krever in Osipovichi, Belarus.

Maj. Gen. Leonid Kosinsky, left, speaks with CNN journalist Matthew Chance in the Belarusian army camp near Tsel village, Belarus, on July 7.
Maj. Gen. Leonid Kosinsky, left, speaks with CNN journalist Matthew Chance in the Belarusian army camp near Tsel village, Belarus, on July 7. Alexander Zemlianichenko/AP

The Belarusian government on Friday showed CNN and other foreign media outlets a disused military camp about an hour outside Minsk that they say could be used to house Wagner fighters, should they come to the country.

The plan to host Wagner in Belarus is on hold, President Alexander Lukashenko told CNN during a news conference on Friday.

Neither Wagner mercenary fighters nor their leader Yevgeny Prigozhin are in Belarus, Lukashenko said, adding "it doesn’t depend on me, but on Russian authorities and Wagner PMC (private military company) itself whether they come to Belarus or not."

The foreign media outlets were given a brief tour on Friday of a tent city erected on a military base near Osipovichi.

“There is absolutely no connection between this camp and Wagner,” Maj. Gen. Leonid Kasinsky told CNN. “Yesterday the President said that if Yevgeny Prigozhin makes a decision together with his commanders to come to Belarus to set up, then this camp among other places could be offered to them.”

Major General Leonid Kasinsky shows a tent camp near the village of Tsel in the Asipovichy District, Belarus, on July 7.
Major General Leonid Kasinsky shows a tent camp near the village of Tsel in the Asipovichy District, Belarus, on July 7. Maxim Shemetov/Reuters

The camp can house around 5,000 personnel, he said, but is currently occupied by only around a dozen troops. The large canvas tents, baking in the hot summer sun, are currently outfitted with little more than rough and ready lumber bunks and no mattresses.

When asked whether he had been told to prepare the camp for Wagner, Kasinsky demurred. “We prepared this camp within for the training of (Belarusian) territorial defense and militia,” he said.