Poland will move military formations to the east of the country in response to potential threats from Wagner mercenary fighters stationed in neighboring Belarus, national news agency PAP reported Friday, citing Warsaw's security chief.
The head of Poland's security committee, Zbigniew Hoffmann, said the decision was made by Defense Minister Mariusz Blaszczak after the committee analyzed "possible threats presented by the Wagner Group's presence in Belarus," PAP reported.
Hoffmann did not provide more details of the Polish troops' movements.
"The training or joint exercises of the Belarusian army and the Wagner Group is undoubtedly a provocation," Hoffmann told PAP.
Some context: Poland's move comes after Wagner chief Yevgeny Prigozhin was shown in a video Wednesday welcoming his fighters to Belarus, in what would be his first public appearance since he led a short-lived armed rebellion in Russia last month. CNN geolocated the video to a previously disused military base in Asipovichy, roughly 80 kilometers (49 miles) southeast of the capital Minsk. The Belarusian military on Thursday praised the “unique experience” its troops were gaining from “joint combat training” with Wagner troops at a camp near Brest, close to the border with Poland.