Two Ukrainian soldiers were killed and 12 others injured in shelling by Russian-backed separatists in eastern Ukraine on Monday, Ukraine’s Defense Ministry said Tuesday in a statement.
The ministry said the Ukrainian Defense Forces recorded 84 ceasefire violations on Monday, 64 of which involved weapons prohibited by the 2015 Minsk Peace agreement. Most of the violence was recorded along the contact line in Luhansk.
In a separate statement on Tuesday, the ministry said it has so far recorded 152 attacks on civilian objects in the regions of Donetsk and Luhansk over the past five days.
It said one civilian was killed, two were injured and three more suffered concussions.
In total, the ministry said 48 homes, four schools and educational institutions and 11 infrastructure facilities were damaged over the past five days.
The shelling on Monday follows a weekend of violations: the Ukrainian Border Guards saidthat Shchastia, a crossing point for international humanitarian organizations at the Line of Contact, had been closed since 8 a.m. local time Sunday due to shelling. A UNHCR convoy that used the crossing point Friday said it had been caught in crossfire.
Some residents of Donetsk — which is controlled by pro-Russian separatists — reported heavy shelling early Sunday, ahead of Russian President Vladimir Putin's announcement on Monday that Donetsk would be recognized as a Russian republic.
The authorities in the breakaway republics persistently claim shelling by Ukrainian forces, who in turn regularly deny firing artillery across the front lines.
On Saturday, the EU condemned the "use of heavy weaponry and indiscriminate shelling of civilian areas," saying they constituted a "clear violation of the Minsk agreements and international humanitarian law."