At least 10 people queueing for bread were killed when Russian forces shelled the northern Ukrainian city of Chernihiv on Wednesday, according to the head of the regional administration, Vyacheslav Chaus.
Video geolocated by CNN shows what appear to be lifeless bodies on the ground, but the images of the bodies had been blurred.
It also showed someone being carried to a vehicle close by. It is not clear whether the individual was alive.
Chaus said the attack was indicative of Russia’s use of indirect fire against civilians.
“This is not the first such incoming shell [in the city], nor is it the first shelling of civilians by the enemy. The Russians are shelling and destroying mostly civilian infrastructure in the city of Chernihiv and other cities in the region,” he said while speaking on Ukrainian television.
Chernihiv is surrounded by Russian forces and has seen repeated shelling over the last week, much of it hitting residential areas.
Russian Ministry of Defense spokesperson Maj. Gen. Igor Konashenkov refuted US embassy claims that Russian troops killed civilians in the bread line in Chernihiv.
“Today, video footage of civilians who died in Chernihiv, who were allegedly shot by Russian servicemen, was distributed on all propaganda resources of the Kyiv regime. It was indicated that all the dead allegedly stood in line for bread. I would like to emphasize that there were no Russian servicemen in Chernihiv,” Konashenkov said in a video message Wednesday.
“All Russian troops are outside of Chernihiv,” he said.