Serhii Haidai, the head of the Luhansk regional military administration, said morgues in several cities are now full amid power blackouts and — in some places — the complete loss of electricity.
Haidai said on his Telegram account that bodies are also in basements in the region. In the lulls in shelling, they were being collected by volunteers and buried in "new designated places" as access to cemeteries was impossible.
The area around Severodonetsk, which has seen persistent shelling for weeks, is the worst-affected.
"In Severodonetsk, the regional military administration organized a new burial place in a relatively safe place. Pits are dug with a tractor and graves are systematized in the register. Every dead or deceased person is buried naturally in a separate grave, during the 48 days of the war — about 400 burials," he said.
"A new burial place has also been organized in Lysychansk," Haidi added. "The dead and killed are buried in common graves."
"The situation is difficult in Popasna and Rubizhne. Due to the partial occupation of cities by the Russians, the removal of bodies is impossible, burials are carried out by residents themselves in the yards of residential areas," he added.
"Due to the shelling, in certain areas, the bodies remain lying on the streets," Haidi said.
Haidai said more than 300 people had been evacuated from the Luhansk region on Tuesday but "about 90,000 people are still staying in bomb shelters in the region's communities. Every day we urge them to leave."
He said the attack on the Kramatorsk railway station last week had deterred people from evacuating.
Haidai said authorities had managed to bring in several tons of humanitarian aid.