Tensions soar after Iran seizes tanker

By Meg Wagner, Mike Hayes, Elise Hammond and Joshua Berlinger, CNN

Updated 7:31 a.m. ET, July 24, 2019
21 Posts
Sort byDropdown arrow
10:20 p.m. ET, July 19, 2019

Zarif doesn't mention tanker after landing in Venezuela

Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif arrives to meet his Japanese counterpart in Tehran on June 12.
Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif arrives to meet his Japanese counterpart in Tehran on June 12.

Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said the United States is "creating instability and insecurity" in the Middle East and Latin America after landing in Venezuela and speaking to media from the country.

Zarif did not refer to the British-flagged oil tanker seized by Iranian forces Friday.

Zarif is visiting Caracas for a meeting of the Non-Aligned Movement, a multi-national organization comprised of countries not formally aligned with or against any major power bloc.

Here are his full comments:

The resistance of the people of Venezuela against the United States is very important for the people of the world and the people of Venezuela. Without the interference of the USA, the people of Venezuela know how to live together and how to get along with each other.
Wherever the USA steps, she brings instability and insecurity. Today in the Middle East and the regions of South America and Latin America, USA is creating instability and insecurity.
We do not know anywhere in the world that the present of the USA has brought stability or security. Where ever they (the US) go they cause instability, pressure on people and increase in radicalism and terrorism. 
8:44 p.m. ET, July 19, 2019

UK Foreign Office warns ships against sailing in Strait of Hormuz

From CNN's Nada Bashir

The United Kingdom's Foreign Office says vessels working in the country's shipping industry should avoid the Strait of Hormuz.

The warning comes after the British-flagged Stena Impero was seized in the region by Iranian forces.

Here's the full statement:

We remain deeply concerned about Iran's unacceptable actions which represent a clear challenge to international freedom of navigation. We have advised UK shipping to stay out of the area for an interim period.
 As the Foreign Secretary has said, our response will be considered and robust and there will be serious consequences if the situation is not resolved.
We remain in close contact with our international partners and there will be further meetings over the weekend.

 

7:31 p.m. ET, July 19, 2019

Stena Impero tanker remains out of contact

The Stena Impero is no longer under the control of the crew and remains uncontactable, according to a statement from its owner Stena Bulk and ship manager Northern Marine Management.

"There have been no reported injuries and the safety and welfare of our crew remains our primary focus," the statement continued. The 23 people onboard are of Indian, Russian, Latvian and Filipino nationality.

The vessel was in full compliance with all navigation and international regulations, the company also said.

6:51 p.m. ET, July 19, 2019

Mesdar: "All crew safe and well"

"All crew are safe and well," Mesdar's manager, Norbulk Shipping UK, said in a statement confirming that the ship had been released.

"Communication has been re-established with the vessel and Master confirmed that the armed guards have left and the vessel is free to continue the voyage," it said.

5:48 p.m. ET, July 19, 2019

Iran seized a British tanker. Here's what we know so far.

Iran seized one British tanker and stopped another in the Strait of Hormuz Friday, according to Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps and US officials. They said the ships were "violating international regulations."

One ship, the MESDAR, has since been allowed to continue its course after Iranian officials followed up with the ship on its environmental regulations, according to Iranian military officials. It is no longer in Iranian waters.

  • What we know about the seizure: The US military believes the capture of the ship was a preplanned and coordinated Iranian operation. The first tanker was boarded by IRGC and taken into Iranian waters, about a half hour before the second ship was stopped. There were no British citizens on either ship.
  • What the US said: President Trump claimed the episode proved his warnings about Iran correct.
"This only goes to show what I'm saying about Iran. Trouble. Nothing but trouble," he said. "It goes to show you I was right about Iran."
He also noted the "US has very few tankers going in because we’re using a lot of our own energy," but said the American presence in the region was still robust.
  • What the UK said: UK Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt said, “These seizures are unacceptable. It is essential that freedom of navigation is maintained and that all ships can move safely and freely in the region." The UK Chamber of Shipping said the organization condemned the capture and that "this incident represents an escalation."
  • Rising tension in the region: President Trump said that the USS Boxer downed an Iranian drone that came within 1,000 yards of the Navy ship Thursday. Trump said the drone was "threatening the safety of the ship and the ship's crew" in the Strait of Hormuz and was "immediately destroyed." The drone was destroyed using electronic jamming, according to a US defense official.
5:31 p.m. ET, July 19, 2019

Trump privately moving in a more hawkish direction on Iran as tensions escalate, sources say

From Kevin Liptak and Kaitlan Collins 

Trump walks from Marine One to board Air Force One before departing from Andrews Air Force Base, Maryland on July 19, 2019.
Trump walks from Marine One to board Air Force One before departing from Andrews Air Force Base, Maryland on July 19, 2019. MANDEL NGAN/AFP/Getty Images

President Trump has privately adopted a more hawkish tone on Iran in recent days, according to three people familiar with the developments, as tensions increase in the Gulf.

Previously, Trump emphasized finding a diplomatic solution to the crisis with Tehran, and backed off a planned strike on Iranian positions last month. During those discussions, Trump expressed concern that US retaliation could escalate the tensions in the region. He ultimately pulled back from the strikes citing concern over civilian casualties.

But amid the most recent tensions, Trump has not placed as much emphasis on talks with Iranian officials, according to the people familiar with the matter. That’s due in part to a chilly reception Trump’s public overtures for negotiations received from Iranian leaders.

When he called off the planned strike at the last minute in late June, he assured advisers that if matters escalated with Iran, he would respond appropriately.

Trump has also downplayed the possibility that tensions could increase, noting they’ve already been increasing even after he backed off the strike.

The recent change in tone from the president has frustrated those who think he should avoid wading into further conflict with Iran, believing it could lead him to war potentially.

5:30 p.m. ET, July 19, 2019

Second British ship has been allowed to continue its course

From CNN's AnneClaire Stapleton

The British operated, Liberian-flagged ship, the MESDAR, has been allowed to continue its course after Iranian officials followed up with the ship on its environmental regulations, according semi-official Iranian news agency TASNIM, citing Iranian military officials in the Persian Gulf.

According to MarineTraffic.com, the MESDAR has picked up speed in the last few minutes and is now headed in a western direction into the Gulf, instead of north to Iran.  .

The ship has left Iranian waters, according to semi-official Iranian news agency MEHR.

4:58 p.m. ET, July 19, 2019

UK Foreign Secretary: No British citizens on either ship, seizures unacceptable

From CNN's Nada Bashir

UK Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt said a statement he is "extremely concerned" by the seizure of two naval vessels by Iran.

Hunt said there are were no British citizens on board the ships.

The United Kingdom has convened a COBRA meeting on the seized tanker, according to a UK government official. A COBRA meeting consists of British national security officials.

Read Hunt's statement on the seized tankers:

“I’m extremely concerned by the seizure of two naval vessels by Iranian authorities in the Strait of Hormuz.
“I will shortly attend a COBRA meeting to review what we know and what we can do to swiftly secure the release of the two vessels - a British-flagged vessel and a Liberian-flagged vessel.
“Their crews comprise a range of nationalities, but we understand there are no British citizens on board either ship.
“Our Ambassador in Tehran is in contact with the Iranian Ministry of Foreign Affairs to resolve the situation and we are working closely with international partners.
“These seizures are unacceptable. It is essential that freedom of navigation is maintained and that all ships can move safely and freely in the region.”
4:40 p.m. ET, July 19, 2019

Fars News: Seized British tanker was heading to Saudi Arabia's port of Al-Jubail

CNN's Sara Mazloumsaki in Atlanta

The British-flagged oil tanker ‘Stena Impero' was heading to Saudi Arabia's port of Al-Jubail from the UAE port of Fujairah when it was seized by the IRGC, the semi-official Fars news agency reported Friday, citing a statement from the IRGC.

The IRGC statement said the ship was making an entry from the exit point of the Strait of Hormuz in the South, "disregarding the established procedures that require all entries be made through the Northern pass," Fars reported.

The ship has been escorted to the Iranian coastal waters in Hormozgan province for further legal procedures and investigations, Fars said.