January 17, 2024 Israel-Hamas war

By Kathleen Magramo, Sophie Tanno, Antoinette Radford, Adrienne Vogt and Elise Hammond, CNN

Updated 12:01 a.m. ET, January 18, 2024
23 Posts
Sort byDropdown arrow
2:29 p.m. ET, January 17, 2024

Israel did not link return of Palestinians to northern Gaza to hostage release, US State department says

From CNN's Jennifer Hansler

The Israeli government did not link the return of Palestinian civilians to their homes in northern Gaza to the release of hostages held by Hamas during meetings with Secretary of State Antony Blinken last week, the US State Department spokesperson said Wednesday.

Israel said "they did not want to see Palestinians displaced from their homes," according to spokesperson Matt Miller.

"They said to us that they would support a (United Nations) mission to assess the conditions so people could return to their homes. And they also never linked return to their homes to release of hostages in any way, shape or form," he said at a news briefing.

Before the Blinken meeting, Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Gallant, who sits on the Israeli security cabinet, proposed that Palestinians not be allowed to return home until all the remaining hostages are freed.

On escalation: More generally, Miller said that the US has been working "to prevent the region from tipping into a full-blown conflagration" and asserted that that effort has been successful so far.

Last week, Blinken pushed back on the idea that the conflict was "escalating," but acknowledged that "there are lots of danger points."

In the days since, the Houthis and US have been engaged in tit-for-tat strikes in the Red Sea and Yemen, respectively, and Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps has hit targets in Iraq and Pakistan.

2:10 p.m. ET, January 17, 2024

Hamas says agreement to get medicine to hostages is dependent on medication for Palestinians in Gaza

From CNN’s Ibrahim Hazboun and Eyad Kourdi

A Qatar Armed Forces plane carrying medicines and humanitarian aid to be sent to Gaza is seen in Arish, Egypt, on Wednesday.
A Qatar Armed Forces plane carrying medicines and humanitarian aid to be sent to Gaza is seen in Arish, Egypt, on Wednesday. Stringer/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images

A Hamas official acknowledged the agreement with Israel brokered by Qatar to allow medication into Gaza for Israeli hostages — but said the arrangement is dependent on there also being enough medication for Palestinians in the enclave.

"Any initiative to allow medicines delivery to the detainees (in Gaza) should include medicine delivery to Palestinians in Gaza,” Osama Hamdan, a Lebanese-based Hamas official, said during a press conference from Beirut on Wednesday.

The Red Cross proposed delivering medical supplies to the Israeli hostages inside Gaza, Mousa Abu Marzouk, a senior member of Hamas, said on social media Wednesday. It is not clear from the agreement how the medical supplies will be delivered into Gaza or who will transport the medication. 

The Hamas terms of the agreement included a stipulation that for every one box of medication given to Israeli hostages, 1,000 boxes of medication are also provided for Palestinians in Gaza. 

12:51 p.m. ET, January 17, 2024

Gaza experiencing record-long near-total internet blackout, internet monitoring site says

From CNN's AnneClaire Stapleton

People in Gaza are living through what is now the longest sustained telecoms internet disruption in the enclave since the start of the war with Israel, a monitoring site reports.

A near-total internet blackout in the Gaza Strip has now passed 120 hours, according to Netblocks, with most residents unable to contact the outside world since January 12.

On Monday, the Hamas-run government office in Gaza said the disruption also makes it harder for the emergency services that are still functioning to reach the wounded.

Israel did not respond to CNN’s multiple requests for comment on the communications blackout.  

12:40 p.m. ET, January 17, 2024

Houthis say they will continue their attacks on vessels in the Red Sea despite US terror designation

From CNN’s Eyad Kourdi in Gaziantep, Turkey

Houthis will not stop their attacks on what they are referring to as Israeli-linked vessels in the Red and Arabian Seas, according to a written statement on Hizam al-Assad, a member of the Houthi political bureau's X account.

“The operations of our naval forces in the Red and Arabian Seas will continue to target Israeli ships linked to the enemy entity,” Al-Assad said. 

Al-Assad declared that the group will continue its assaults as long as the conflict in Gaza persists. 

"As long as the American Zionist aggression and siege on our people in Gaza continues the attacks will not stop,” Al-Assad added.

“What should be designated as terrorism is the crimes of genocide committed by the Israeli occupation army, with American support and participation, against the Palestinian people in Gaza,” Al-Assad said. 

12:54 p.m. ET, January 17, 2024

Fears of war in Gaza spilling into broader conflict grow as Iran conducts missile strikes. Here's the latest

From CNN Staff

Tensions are escalating in the Middle East and beyond after Iran conducted a series of missile strikes within the region.

Pakistan strongly condemned an Iranian airstrike inside its borders that killed two children, calling it an “unprovoked violation of its airspace” and warning of retaliation.

The attack in Pakistan comes after Iran launched missiles in northern Iraq and Syria Monday, in the latest escalation of hostilities in the Middle East where Israel’s ongoing war in Gaza risks spiraling into a wider regional conflict.

Iran's Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian said that an end to the war in Gaza may put an end to other attacks in the region, speaking at the World Economic Forum in Davos.

"If the genocide in Gaza stops, then it will lead to the end of other crises and attacks in the region," the Iranian minister said.

Amir-Abdollahian also said Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah — whom he has twice spoken to since the war in Gaza began — told him that Hezbollah attacks would stop if Israel ceased its attacks on Hamas in Gaza.

If you're just joining us, here are today's latest headlines:

  • Gaza death toll: The death toll in Gaza is now more than 24,400 people with more than 163 people killed by Israeli attacks in the past 24 hours alone, the Hamas-run Ministry of Health in Gaza has confirmed.
  • Israel withdraws from key hospital: Israeli forces appear to have withdrawn from the area around the largest hospital in the city of Khan Younis in southern Gaza, after their approach toward the medical compound late on Tuesday prompted panic among the thousands of people sheltering there.
  • Cemetery appears destroyed: A cemetery in Khan Younis was severely damaged during the period of time that the Israel Defense Forces said it conducted operations in the area. A video of the cemetery that was geolocated by CNN shows the area bulldozed, with some graves apparently disturbed. The IDF has not responded to CNN’s repeated questions about the apparent damage. 

  • Medicine deal: Qatar said it has brokered a deal between Israel and Hamas that will see medicines delivered to Israeli hostages in Gaza in exchange for the delivery of medicine and humanitarian aid to Palestinian civilians. Relatives of the more than 100 remaining hostages believed to be alive in Gaza have been calling for medications to be passed on to their loved ones.
  • Red Sea tensions: The US has re-designated the Houthis as a specially designated global terrorist (SDGT) entity amid continued attacks by the Yemen-based militia. Pressure has grown to reimpose the designation as the Iran-backed militia attacks ships in the Red Sea. On Tuesday, the group claimed responsibility for an attack on a Greek-owned vessel it said was headed toward Israel. Hours earlier, the US military launched new strikes against Houthi targets in Yemen.
  • Israel’s far-right campaign to resettle Gaza: In the absence of a clear plan for what post-war Gaza may look like, a once-fringe group that hopes for full Israeli control to resettle Gaza and even expel Palestinians has stepped into the void — and its ideas are permeating mainstream debate.
11:29 a.m. ET, January 17, 2024

Gaza cemetery appears badly damaged after Israeli forces conduct operation in area

From CNN’s Ibrahim Dahman, Ivana Kottasová, and Benjamin Brown

Palestinians check damaged graves at a cemetery following an Israeli raid in Khan Younis, Gaza, on January 17.
Palestinians check damaged graves at a cemetery following an Israeli raid in Khan Younis, Gaza, on January 17. Ahmed Zakot/Reuters

A cemetery in Khan Younis in southern Gaza was severely damaged during a period of time when the Israel Defense Forces said it conducted operations in the area.  

A video of the cemetery that was geolocated by CNN shows the area bulldozed, with some graves apparently disturbed. The IDF has not responded to CNN’s repeated questions about the apparent damage to the cemetery.  

A satellite image of the cemetery taken by Maxar on Monday shows the cemetery undisturbed, indicating the damage must have happened between then and Wednesday morning, when it was first reported. 

The IDF said on Tuesday that its “commando forces have been operating in the Khan Younis area in order to locate and dismantle terror infrastructure.”

Health care facilities nearby: The Jordanian Armed Forces also said that a field hospital it runs that is located next to the cemetery in Khan Younis sustained "severe material damage" as a result of “continuous Israeli bombardment in the hospital's surroundings overnight and into Wednesday morning.”

The Al Nasser Hospital compound is also near the cemetery. The IDF was operating in the area on Tuesday evening and into Wednesday morning, and its approach toward the medical complex had brought on panic among the thousands sheltering there.

 

11:58 a.m. ET, January 17, 2024

Biden administration re-designates Houthis as specially designated global terrorists

From CNN's Jennifer Hansler

US President Joe Biden's administration on Wednesday re-designated the Houthis as a specially designated global terrorist (SDGT) entity amid continued attacks by the Yemen-based militia.

Administration officials said the designation is aimed at deterring the Houthis from their ongoing aggression in the Red Sea. It is the latest in a series of US actions targeting the Iranian-backed group, and comes as the specter of a wider regional war in the Middle East looms large amid Israel's war against Hamas in Gaza.

“These attacks are clear example of terrorism and a violation of international law and a major threat to lives, global commerce, and they jeopardize the delivery of humanitarian assistance,” a US senior administration official said in a call with reporters Tuesday.

Mohammad Abdul Salam, the official spokesperson for the Houthis said the group had anticipated the designation, which he described as being driven by political motives in a call with Al-Jazeera on Wednesday. The Houthis said they used the attacks to try and garner "leverage" to halt the war in Gaza, underscoring that the US designation "would not weaken" their "unwavering support" for the Palestinian cause.

The administration removed the Houthis’ SDGT designation and de-listed it as a foreign terrorist organization (FTO) in February 2021, after it was designated by former President Donald Trump's administration in its final weeks.

Keep reading about the Houthi re-designation.

11:10 a.m. ET, January 17, 2024

Israel says it targeted local terrorist leader in deadly airstrike near refugee camp in West Bank

From CNN's Abeer Salman and Amir Tal in Jerusalem

People stand next to a destroyed car that was targeted in an Israeli airstrike near the occupied West Bank Balata refugee camp on January 17.
People stand next to a destroyed car that was targeted in an Israeli airstrike near the occupied West Bank Balata refugee camp on January 17. Zain Jaafar/AFP/Getty Images

At least three people have been killed in an Israeli airstrike targeting a car in Balata refugee camp in the occupied West Bank, according to the Palestinian Ministry of Health in Ramallah.

The Israel Defense Forces and Israel Security Agency, or Shin Bet, released a statement on Wednesday saying that "during joint IDF and ISA activity in the Balata camp in the city of Nablus, a terrorist cell headed by Amed Abdullah Abu-Shalal was eliminated during a precise airstrike."

Eyewitnesses in the area told the official Palestinian agency WAFA that the occupation forces "abducted" the bodies of two young men from the vehicle before withdrawing from the area.

The Palestine Red Crescent Society said in a statement that the Israeli forces surrounded the targeted vehicle with military jeeps, preventing ambulance crews from approaching, and opened fire on Red Crescent teams who were present at the scene.

The PRCS said that its teams were able to reach the vehicle after the Israeli withdrawal from the area, where they retrieved the remains of one of the young men. And the health ministry in Ramallah later said that an unidentified "burnt body arrived at Rafidia Government Hospital in Nablus, as a result of the occupation's shelling of a vehicle near Balata camp."  

CNN is unable to independently confirm the identity of the deceased men. 

9:34 a.m. ET, January 17, 2024

Iranian foreign minister: If Gaza conflict ends, "other crises and attacks" in region will stop too

From CNN's Chris Liakos in Davos, Switzerland, and Adam Pourahmadi in Abu Dhabi

Iranian Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian gestures during a session at the World Economic Forum (WEF) meeting in Davos, Switzerland, on January 17.
Iranian Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian gestures during a session at the World Economic Forum (WEF) meeting in Davos, Switzerland, on January 17. Fabrice Coffrini/AFP/Getty Images

Iran's Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian said on Wednesday that if there is an end to the conflict in Gaza, other attacks in the region will also cease.

"If the genocide in Gaza stops, then it will lead to the end of other crises and attacks in the region," the Iranian minister said at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland.

Amir-Abdollahian said Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah told him that Hezbollah attacks would stop if Israel ceased its attacks on Hamas in Gaza. The Iranian minister told CNN's Fareed Zakaria that in the last 100 days, he has held talks twice with Nasrallah.

Amir-Abdollahian added that maritime security and shipping safety in the Red Sea, Gulf of Oman and Persian Gulf are important to oil exporter Iran, also claiming that Iran has information that the Yemenis and Saudis are nearing "a real substantive peace agreement."