January 21, 2024 Israel-Hamas war

By Heather Chen, Andrew Raine, Amarachi Orie and Antoinette Radford, CNN

Updated 2:01 p.m. ET, January 22, 2024
16 Posts
Sort byDropdown arrow
12:35 p.m. ET, January 21, 2024

Israel gives far-right minister power to freeze Palestinian payments if even "a single shekel" reaches Gaza

From CNN's Lauren Izso in Tel Aviv

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, right, speaks with Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich during a cabinet meeting in Tel Aviv, Israel, on January 7.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, right, speaks with Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich during a cabinet meeting in Tel Aviv, Israel, on January 7. Ronen Zvulun/Pool/Reuters

“Not a single shekel will go to Gaza. Period,” far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich wrote after Israel's security cabinet approved a measure that gives him the power to freeze funds intended for the Palestinian Authority, if the PA transfers those funds to Gaza.

Under existing agreements, Israel collects tax revenue on behalf of the Palestinian Authority on Palestinian imports and exports. Since Hamas launched its attacks on Israel on October 7, 2023, the Israeli government has refused to disburse the full amount of taxes collected, which are primarily used by the Palestinian Authority to pay public employees and retirees.

The funds collected by Israel will now be transferred to Norway as a third party, then be sent to Ramallah — excluding the sum earmarked for Gaza — which would remain frozen in Norwegian hands, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office said in a statement on Sunday. The United States and Norway will help oversee and facilitate the agreement.

“Any violation of the agreement allows the Minister of Finance to immediately freeze all of the Palestinians' repayment funds,” the prime minister’s office said.

Hussein al-Sheikh, a top official with the Palestine Liberation Organization, immediately rejected the Israeli plan, calling it "piracy" and urging the international community to stop it.

Remember: Smotrich has come under fire for recent comments advocating for the voluntary migration of Palestinians from Gaza, and the reestablishment of Israeli settlements there.

9:42 a.m. ET, January 21, 2024

1 killed, 5 injured in alleged Israeli drone strike in southern Lebanon, Lebanese agency says

From CNN's Sarah Sirgany, Charbel Mallo and Lauren Izso

Lebanon's National News Agency (NNA) is reporting that one person was killed and five others were injured in what it says was an Israeli drone strike that hit a vehicle near a Lebanese military checkpoint in Kafra, southern Lebanon, on Sunday afternoon.

The incident happened roughly 8 km (4.9 miles) away from the Lebanese-Israeli border, the agency reported.

It destroyed one vehicle, while a nearby vehicle also caught fire, NNA added.

CNN has reached out to the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) for comment. The IDF said they would release a statement later on Sunday.

2:01 p.m. ET, January 22, 2024

EU sanctions Hamas-linked financier following CNN probe

From CNN's Niamh Kennedy and Nima Elbagir

The European Union has sanctioned Abdelbasit Hamza, a Sudanese financier with strong ties to Hamas who was at the center of an investigation carried out by CNN with Israeli investigative platform Shomrim and the International Consortium for Investigative Journalism (ICIJ) into the militant group’s funding.

The investigation exposed the wide range of business interests Hamza had managed to maintain in Europe, despite being placed under US sanctions in the wake of the October 7 attacks.

Hamza, who has previously denied any involvement in Hamas funding, is believed to have a network of global assets previously estimated by Sudanese anti-corruption officials to be over $2 billion.

In a press release Friday, the Council of the EU said it was putting into effect a newly approved sanctions regime which would allow it to “target those who support, materially or financially Hamas.”

“For the first time, the EU will also be able to target persons or entities providing support to those facilitating or enabling violent action by Hamas and the PIJ (Palestinian Islamic Jihad); in other words, the sponsors of those who sponsor the two terrorist organizations,” the bloc said.

Hamza was one of six individuals, including senior Hamas financier Rida Ali Khamis and senior Hamas operative Musa Dudin, sanctioned on Friday. All six will be subjected to an asset freeze and a travel ban to the EU, according to the EU release.

The EU’s top diplomat, Josep Borrell, said the sanctioning of individuals such as Hamza shows that the bloc is “ready to take decisive steps to react to the brutality shown by terrorists on October 7.”
2:13 p.m. ET, January 21, 2024

UK defense minister says comments from Netanyahu rejecting Palestinian state are "disappointing"

From CNN's Niamh Kennedy

UK Secretary of State for Defence Grant Shapps speaks to the media in London on January 21.
UK Secretary of State for Defence Grant Shapps speaks to the media in London on January 21. Maja Smiejkowska/PA/Getty Images

UK Secretary of State for Defense Grant Shapps has called comments from Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu rejecting the prospect of a Palestinian state "disappointing," reiterating the UK's commitment toward a two-state solution. 

Netanyahu sparked controversy during a news conference in Tel Aviv on Thursday when he appeared to reject the idea of creating a Palestinian state in adherence with a two-state solution. 

“In any future arrangement… Israel needs security control of all territory west of Jordan. This clashes with the idea of (Palestinian) sovereignty. What can you do?” he said.

On Saturday, Netanyahu's office said the prime minister "reiterated his policy" on this during a private phone call with US President Joe Biden.

Speaking to British broadcaster Sky News on Sunday, Shapps said it was "disappointing to hear that from the Israeli Prime Minister." 

"There isn't another option. The whole world has agreed that a two-state solution is the best way forward. The British government absolutely backs that as a solution," Shapps stressed. 

Shapps said a Palestinian state "needs to be sovereign on the Palestinian side" and to also "provide security guarantees on the Israeli side." 

The defence minister pointed out that there "isn't another obvious way out" out of the conflict in Gaza. 

On Saturday, UK shadow Foreign Secretary David Lammy said "Biden is right" in calling for a two-state solution, and described Netanyahu's comments as "unacceptable," adding: “Of course, the Palestinian people deserve a state."

2:15 p.m. ET, January 21, 2024

Father of Palestinian American teen shot dead in West Bank blames US support of Israel for death

From CNN’s Kareem Khadder in Jerusalem and Rob Iddiols

The father of a Palestinian American teenager shot dead in the occupied West Bank has blamed the United States for his son’s death, citing long-standing US military support.

Hafiz Abdel Jabbar said his son Tawfic Abdel Jabbar – who was born and raised in Gretna, Louisiana, near New Orleans, but had been living with his father in the West Bank since May 2023 – was driving to have a picnic on their family farm with his friends, about 10 miles north of Ramallah, near the town of Al-Mazra'a ash-Sharqiya, on Friday.

He said an eyewitness told him that when they got there, settlers and then IDF soldiers "stopped and started shooting at them," and his son was fatally struck twice, in the head and chest, and found dead in the car.

A Palestinian state media report earlier said the teen was transported in critical condition to the Palestine Medical Complex in Ramallah, where he later died.

Since Israel is “supported by the US government,” Abdel Jabbar, a dual-national US citizen, told CNN Saturday, “he was killed by our own bullets. My son was killed by our own government.”

Police said the shooting would be investigated.   

More than 360 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli troops and settlers in the West Bank since October 7, the Palestinian Ministry of Health says.

2:16 p.m. ET, January 21, 2024

Death toll in Gaza surpasses 25,000, Hamas-run Ministry of Health says

From CNN's Niamh Kennedy and Ibrahim Dahman 

Palestinians mourn relatives who were killed in an Israeli strike in Deir Al-Balah, Gaza, on January 5.
Palestinians mourn relatives who were killed in an Israeli strike in Deir Al-Balah, Gaza, on January 5. Majdi Fathi/NurPhoto/Getty Images

More than 25,000 people have been killed in Gaza since October 7, the Hamas-controlled Ministry of Health said Sunday.

The latest Palestinian toll includes 178 people killed and 293 injured in the past 24 hours, bringing the total to 25,105 killed and 62,681 injured across the strip during the ongoing Israel-Hamas war.

CNN cannot independently verify these numbers due to the challenges of reporting from the war zone.

The Israel Defense Forces said Sunday that military activities in the Gaza Strip were continuing, with “dozens of terrorists eliminated and large quantities of weapons located.”

According to an operational update, IDF snipers in cooperation with the Israeli Air Force (IAF) “eliminated a number of terrorists” in Khan Younis in the south of Gaza while troops also “eliminated 15 terrorists” in Daraj Tuffah in the northern part of the territory.

In an update Sunday morning, the IDF said one additional soldier had been killed in combat, bringing Israel's military death toll to 195 since Israel’s ground invasion of Gaza began.

7:38 a.m. ET, January 21, 2024

Netanyahu rejects calls for Palestinian sovereignty after talks with Biden on post-war Gaza

From CNN’s Abeer Salman and Mitchell McCluskey

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu speaks during a cabinet meeting in Tel Aviv, Israel, on January 7.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu speaks during a cabinet meeting in Tel Aviv, Israel, on January 7. Ronen Zvulun/Pool/Reuters

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Saturday his desire for security control over all territory west of Jordan is contrary to the existence of a Palestinian state.

“I will not compromise on full Israeli security control over all the territory west of Jordan - and this is contrary to a Palestinian state,” Netanyahu said in a post on X.

He did not provide any other details in his one-line post, which came a day after he had a phone call with US President Joe Biden which included discussions on the matter. 

Netanyahu’s post echoes a statement he made on Thursday where he said Israel "must control security of all the land which is west of the Jordan River." 

In a separate post, Israel's National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir also reasserted his rejection of a Palestinian state. “I do deny a Palestinian state. Always!” Ben Gvir said on X.

Some background: It remains unclear what post-war Gaza will look like, but Netanyahu is under competing pressures from the international community to allow a viable Palestinian state and domestically to guarantee Israel's security in the wake of the October 7 attacks.

Following their call, Biden told reporters he believed Netanyahu could ultimately be convinced of a two-state solution. 

“There are a number of types of two-state solutions,” he said.

“There’s a number of countries that are members of the UN that are still – don’t have their own military; a number of states that have limitations, and so I think there’s ways in which this can work,” Biden added.

4:37 a.m. ET, January 21, 2024

Palestinians are documenting the war on social media. Their followers see them as family

 From CNN's Harmeet Kaur

Motaz Azaiza, a 24-year-old photojournalist who has been documenting the war on social media, now has millions of Instagram followers.
Motaz Azaiza, a 24-year-old photojournalist who has been documenting the war on social media, now has millions of Instagram followers. CNN

Early on Christmas Day in the central Gazan city of Deir al-Balah, Motaz Azaiza shared a terrifying update on X.

A quadcopter was flying low above the door of his house, he said, and he feared he was about to be targeted in an Israeli airstrike. As a highly visible Palestinian online who had received threats before, Azaiza believed he had reason to be afraid.

Hundreds of people flooded the replies with concern for the 24-year-old Palestinian photojournalist, who has been documenting Israel’s military assault on Gaza on social media since Hamas’ attack on Israel on October 7.

I’m so scared for Motaz,” the replies read.
I hope Motaz is okay.”
Pray for Motaz.

Noor, a medical student in California who asked to go by her first name for safety reasons, was one of the people worrying. For months, she’s been following Azaiza’s dispatches from Gaza, broadcast to his millions of followers: images of his once vibrant neighborhood transformed into a gray wasteland, raw glimpses of carnage in the ashes, and reflections on his own feelings of rage and exhaustion.

Noor refers to Azaiza with the familiarity of his first name. She gets notifications on her phone each time he posts, and worries when too much time passes.

“For so many of us, it almost feels like he’s a brother. He’s a friend, and we’re seeing him suffer in real time,” she told CNN.

Read more.

2:57 a.m. ET, January 21, 2024

UN Secretary General calls opposition to a two-state solution "unacceptable"

Secretary General of the United Nations Antonio Guterres delivers his speech during the closing session of the 19th Summit of Heads of State and Government of the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) in Kampala, Uganda, on January 20.
Secretary General of the United Nations Antonio Guterres delivers his speech during the closing session of the 19th Summit of Heads of State and Government of the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) in Kampala, Uganda, on January 20. Luis Tato/AFP/Getty Images

UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres called opposition to a two-state solution “unacceptable” on Sunday.

“The refusal to accept the two-state solution for Israelis and Palestinians and the denial of the right to statehood for the Palestinian people are unacceptable,” he said in a post on X.

Guterres added that “the right of the Palestinian people to build their own state must be recognized by all.”

On Saturday, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said his desire for security control over all territory west of Jordan is contrary to the existence of a Palestinian state.

In a separate post, Israel's National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir also reasserted his rejection of a Palestinian state. 

“I do deny a Palestinian state. Always!” Ben Gvir said on X.