February 1, 2024 Israel-Hamas war

By Kathleen Magramo, Antoinette Radford, Aditi Sangal, Elise Hammond and Tori B. Powell, CNN

Updated 12:02 a.m. ET, February 2, 2024
11 Posts
Sort byDropdown arrow
9:53 a.m. ET, February 1, 2024

Israeli forces have left grounds of hospital in Khan Younis, Palestine Red Crescent says

From CNN's Ibrahim Dahman and Amir Tal

Israeli forces have left the grounds of Al-Amal hospital in Khan Younis in southern Gaza two days after entering the complex, the Palestine Red Crescent Society said Thursday.

The society also said that Israeli forces had entered its nearby headquarters for a third time.

Israeli tanks were still stationed in the street outside the society’s headquarters, spokesperson Raes Al Nims told CNN.

There are 100 patients, 7,000 displaced people, and 100 doctors and crews in Al-Amal hospital and the headquarters of the PRCS, Nims said.

He said there had been no aid delivered on Wednesday but that essential oxygen supplies arrived through the International Red Cross and the United Nations.

Al-Amal staff dealt with 18 casualties on Wednesday, including 12 killed, among the thousands of displaced people at the hospital and the headquarters, according to the PRCS.

Israel has previously said that Hamas uses hospitals and other infrastructure as a cover for tunnels and military operations.

The Israel Defense Forces say operations continue in Khan Younis as well as central Gaza, where the IDF said an aircraft had struck several Hamas fighters.

4:11 a.m. ET, February 1, 2024

114 Palestinian detainees held in Israel returned to Gaza

From CNN's Ibrahim Dahman and Tim Lister

More than 100 Palestinian detainees who had been held in Israel have been released and entered Gaza early on Thursday, the Gaza Crossings Authority said.

Spokesperson Hisham Adwan said the 114 detainees, which included four women, were released through the Kerem Shalom crossing. 

CNN is reaching out to Israeli authorities for further details.

5:12 a.m. ET, February 1, 2024

Colombia’s president proposes peace commission to end Israeli-Palestinian conflict in letter to Netanyahu

From CNNE's Mauricio Torres in Mexico City

Colombian President Gustavo Petro delivers a speech in Bogota, Colombia, on December 15.
Colombian President Gustavo Petro delivers a speech in Bogota, Colombia, on December 15. Raul Arboleda/AFP/Getty Images

Colombia’s President Gustavo Petro has proposed the creation of a peace commission to end the violence between Israelis and the Palestinians and called for the release of hostages still held in Gaza.

“I consider it a priority to move quickly towards an immediate cessation of hostilities and begin talks for the release of all the hostages,” Petro wrote in a letter dated January 29 to Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

Petro's proposal comes after the Colombian president said Netanyahu wrote to him on January 11 asking for assistance in freeing the hostages. 

Netanyahu’s purported initial letter asks Petro to use “any” influence he has with Iran, Turkey, and Qatar to pressure Hamas into releasing hostages, according to the letter obtained by CNNE earlier this month and verified to CNN by Colombia’s presidency.

Netanyahu’s office has not commented on the purported letter. 

Netanyahu's letter says both countries share a “common cause” in the release of the hostages, mentioning hostage Elkana Bohbot, an Israeli citizen married to a Colombian citizen.

 CNN has contacted the Israeli Embassy in Colombia for comment on Petro's letter.

1:38 a.m. ET, February 1, 2024

It's morning in Gaza. Here's what to know

From CNN staff

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has called for the end of the mission of the UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA).

His comments come after Israel alleged 13 employees were associated with Hamas' October 7 attacks. It's the first time Netanyahu has called for an end of the mission on camera and specifically accused UNRWA officials of being complicit in the attack.

Here are our top stories on the Israel-Hamas war and tensions in the region:

  • UNRWA in focus: US Secretary of State Antony Blinken stressed the importance of the UN’s humanitarian work inside Gaza, saying it is “absolutely vital,” while also calling again for the allegations to be addressed. He returns to the Middle East in the coming days as pressure grows to reach an Israel-Hamas hostage deal.
  • Hostage developments: Netanyahu is assuring the families of Israeli hostages still being held in Gaza that he is "making every effort" to get them back. It comes as hostage talks, mediated by Qatar, are still ongoing.
  • Strike on safe zone: The International Rescue Committee and Medical Aid for Palestinians say they have evidence that indicates Israel carried out a strike earlier this month on a compound in Gaza housing humanitarian workers in a supposed safe zone. 
  • Demands for an investigation: Hamas and the Palestinian Authority are demanding an investigation after the reported discovery of about 30 bodies in bags buried under rubble and sand in a school in northern Gaza.
  • More US strikes on Houthi targets: The US carried out airstrikes against a Houthi drone ground control station in Yemen and 10 Houthi drones early Thursday morning, the US Central Command said. These strikes are the latest in a series of attacks on Houthi weapons before they are launched against international shipping lanes and US warships in the region.

  • Jordan drone attack: The United States believes an umbrella group of militants called Islamic Resistance in Iraq was behind an attack in Jordan that killed three US service members. At least 41 US National Guard members were wounded in the attack. President Joe Biden said he has decided on the US response to the attack.
  • US sees signs Iran is worried: US officials believe there are signs that Iranian leadership is nervous about some of the actions of its proxy groups in Iraq, Syria and Yemen, according to multiple people familiar with US intelligence, as attacks from militia groups threaten to disrupt the global economy and significantly up the risk of direct confrontation with the United States. Read the full story here.

1:25 a.m. ET, February 1, 2024

US Central Command says airstrikes destroyed Houthi drone ground control station in Yemen

From CNN's Mary Kay Mallonee

The US carried out airstrikes against an Iranian-backed Houthi drone ground control station in Yemen and 10 Houthi drones early Thursday morning, the US Central Command said. 

 “U.S. forces identified the UAV ground control station and one-way attack UAVs in Houthi-controlled areas of Yemen and determined that they presented an imminent threat to merchant vessels and the U.S. Navy ships in the region,” CENTCOM said in a statement.
“U.S. Forces subsequently struck and destroyed the UAV ground control station and 10 one-way attack UAVs in self-defense."

These strikes are the latest in a series of attacks on Houthi weapons that the US military said were set to be launched against international shipping lanes and US warships in the region.

12:30 a.m. ET, February 1, 2024

US sees signs Iran is worried about escalating proxy attacks amid heightened tensions

From CNN's Natasha Bertrand and Katie Bo Lillis

US officials believe there are signs that Iranian leadership is nervous about some of the actions of its proxy groups in Iraq, Syria and Yemen, according to multiple people familiar with US intelligence, as attacks from militia groups threaten to disrupt the global economy and significantly up the risk of direct confrontation with the United States.

The drone attack that killed three American soldiers at a US outpost in Jordan, which the US has attributed to the Iran-backed umbrella group Islamic Resistance in Iraq, caught Tehran by surprise and worried political leadership there, officials told CNN, citing US intelligence.

Iran-backed militants have launched over 160 attacks on US forces since October. And while Iran has long funded, equipped, and trained its proxy militias in the region with the goal of attacking Americans, the strike from this past weekend was the first to kill US service members since the near-daily assaults began four months ago.

US intelligence also suggests that Iran is concerned that attacks from Houthi militants in Yemen on commercial shipping in the Red Sea could upset the economic interests of both China and India, key Iranian allies.

Officials cautioned that there is no sense that Tehran’s growing wariness is likely to change its broader strategy of supporting proxy attacks on US and Western targets — although it could signal adjustments around the margins. But officials do believe that Iran is pursuing a calibrated approach to the conflict that is designed to avoid sparking an all-out war.

Read the full story here.

12:00 a.m. ET, February 1, 2024

US Central Command says US destroyer shot down Houthi ballistic missile and 3 drones

From CNN's Oren Liebermann

The USS Carney shot down one Houthi anti-ship ballistic missile and three drones on Wednesday evening Yemen time, the US Central Command said.  

CENTCOM described the drones as Iranian unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs). 

CNN earlier reported that the US destroyer shot down a Houthi ballistic missile and drones. 

These strikes are the latest in a series of attacks on Houthi weapons before they are launched against international shipping lanes and US warships in the region.

More context: Yemen’s Iran-backed Houthi rebels have been stepping up their strikes on ships in the Red Sea, which they say are revenge against Israel for its military campaign in Gaza.

The attacks have forced some of the world’s biggest shipping and oil companies to suspend transit through one of the world’s most important maritime trade routes, which could potentially cause a shock to the global economy.

The Houthis are believed to have been armed and trained by Iran, and there are fears that their attacks could escalate Israel’s war against Hamas into a wider regional conflict.

CNN's Christian Edwards contributed reporting to this post.

12:04 a.m. ET, February 1, 2024

Blinken stresses importance of UN humanitarian work in Gaza but calls for allegations to be addressed

From CNN staff

Secretary of State Antony Blinken, right, speaks with UN Senior Humanitarian and Reconstruction Coordinator for Gaza, Sigrid Kaag, at the State Department, on January 31.
Secretary of State Antony Blinken, right, speaks with UN Senior Humanitarian and Reconstruction Coordinator for Gaza, Sigrid Kaag, at the State Department, on January 31. Jess Rapfogel/AP

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken stressed the importance of the United Nations' humanitarian work inside Gaza, saying it is “absolutely vital,” while also calling again for allegations made against UN staffers in the enclave to be addressed.

In remarks alongside UN Senior Humanitarian and Reconstruction Coordinator for Gaza Sigrid Kaag in Washington, Blinken noted that “her mission now could not be more vital."

“We strongly and fully support it. We'll be working very closely with Sigrid, with Israel, with Egypt, with other concerned parties to in the first instance maximize the assistance getting in, but not only getting into Gaza, getting to people who need it within Gaza, including in the north," he said ahead of their meeting at the State Department Wednesday.

Blinken said that the UN must “work through the terrible allegations” made against its aid agency, the UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA).

The US has suspended approximately $300,000 in aid to UNRWA as the agency investigates Israeli allegations that 13 of its personnel were involved in the October 7 Hamas attacks. The US is among a growing list of countries that have suspended some or all funding to the agency.

12:04 a.m. ET, February 1, 2024

Israel struck compound housing humanitarian workers in Gaza safe zone earlier this month, aid agencies say 

From CNN's Niamh Kennedy

Two aid agencies are claiming they have evidence that indicates Israel carried out a strike earlier this month on a compound housing humanitarian workers and their families in a supposed safe zone in Gaza. 

The International Rescue Committee (IRC) and Medical Aid for Palestinians (MAP) said an independent assessment carried out by the United Nations concluded that the damage was caused by an airstrike most likely involving a missile package exclusively possessed by the Israeli military. 

"The Israeli military is the only armed actor in Gaza with access to this weaponry," the statement on Wednesday said. The strike took place on January 18.

CNN has reached out to the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) for comment on the claims. 

More context: Although officially designated as a safe zone by the IDF, Al Mawasi – a 5.22-square-mile (13.5-square-kilometer) coastal strip where the compound was located – has suffered several strikes in recent weeks, according to reports from the Hamas-controlled health ministry in Gaza and the Palestinian state news agency, WAFA. 

The two organizations reiterated that attacks against these kinds of settings violate international humanitarian law.

Despite remaining committed to serving the "humanitarian imperative," the IRC and MAP likened the current situation in Gaza however to fighting a "losing battle." 

CNN is unable to independently confirm these claims due to the difficulty of reporting from the war zone.