
After completing its mission in the city of Khan Younis, the Israeli military will next target Rafah, the southernmost city in the Gaza Strip, according to Israel Defense Minister Yoav Gallant.
The population of Rafah, on the Egyptian border, has multiplied rapidly as Gazans fled there following the Israeli bombardment of northern cities, according to the United Nations.
"We are achieving our missions in Khan Younis, and we will also reach Rafah and eliminate terror elements that threaten us," Gallant said Thursday.
“This war requires national resilience and determination and we must persevere until we complete our missions," he said, according to a statement from the ministry.
Israeli forces have so far eliminated an estimated 10,000 Hamas fighters, and another 10,000 had been wounded, Gallant claimed. CNN is not able to independently confirm those numbers.
Two weeks ago, the Israel Defense Forces estimated it had killed about 9,000 Hamas fighters since the start of its war on Hamas following the group's October 7 attacks on Israel.
The UN said Thursday that more than 1.4 million Gazans are "already crammed" into the Rafah governorate.





