February 15, 2024 Israel-Hamas war

By Chris Lau, Sophie Tanno, Antoinette Radford and Maureen Chowdhury, CNN

Updated 3:02 a.m. ET, February 16, 2024
18 Posts
Sort byDropdown arrow
10:32 a.m. ET, February 15, 2024

Qatar is waiting for Hamas to respond to Israeli feedback, a source says

From Becky Anderson in Abu Dhabi

Israel earlier this week gave feedback on a proposed Gaza ceasefire deal, which would see the release of Israeli hostages and Palestinian prisoners, and Qatar is waiting for a response from Hamas, a source familiar with the negotiations tells CNN.

“Qatar are talking to Hamas in Doha and waiting for their response to the Israeli feedback from the Cairo meeting,” the source said, adding that “the major sticking point remains the Israeli withdrawal of troops from Gaza.”

Israel’s negotiating team on Tuesday left Cairo, where indirect talks between Israel and Hamas are being mediated by Qatar and Egypt.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Wednesday said Hamas must change its negotiating position before talks can continue in Cairo.

A diplomat familiar with the discussions told CNN Wednesday that Israel had told mediators they will continue to engage in talks but have so far rejected a counterproposal made by Hamas that demanded a large release of Palestinian prisoners.

10:17 a.m. ET, February 15, 2024

Palestinian aid organization says Israel's accusations are an attempt to justify "commission of war crimes"

From CNN's Kareem Khadder in Jerusalem

Palestinian medics stand outside a Red Crescent ambulance during an Israeli army military operation inside the Tulkarem Palestinian refugee camp in the occupied West bank on January 17.
Palestinian medics stand outside a Red Crescent ambulance during an Israeli army military operation inside the Tulkarem Palestinian refugee camp in the occupied West bank on January 17. Zain Jaafar/AFP/Getty Images

The Palestine Red Crescent Society (PRCS) has rejected Israeli military accusations against it and objected to arrests of staff at a hospital in the south Gazan city of Khan Younis earlier this month.

The IDF said that during an operation at al-Amal hospital last week, its forces “detained approximately 20 terrorists, including members of the Hamas terrorist organization who were hiding in the hospital.”

It was, the IDF alleged, “further evidence of Hamas’ cynical exploitation of the Gazan civilian population, with Hamas’ use of hospitals and civilian infrastructure as shields for its terrorist operatives and activities.”

The PRCS said nine of its medical and administrative staff were arrested, along with several patients and their companions.

But, the organization said its employees “do not carry out any work outside the scope of their humanitarian mission.”

“The occupation forces’ methods of defaming medical teams and accusing them of performing actions that fall outside the scope of their humanitarian mission are nothing but a poor attempt to justify their commission of war crimes by killing medical personnel in addition to bombing and destroying hospitals,” the PRCS said in a statement Thursday.

“The PRCS believes that these accusations are only part of a series of excuses fabricated by the occupation forces to justify the siege, bombing, storming of hospitals, and killing of PRCS medical staff and others in the Gaza Strip.”

8:43 a.m. ET, February 15, 2024

Humanitarian charity tells Israel to stop its attack on Nasser Hospital

From CNN's Sharon Braithwaite in London

Doctors Without Borders, also known as Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF), has called for Israeli forces "immediately" to stop the attack on the Nasser Hospital in Khan Younis, Gaza, after MSF staff reported "an undetermined number of people" were killed and injured.

The hospital "was shelled in the early hours of this morning, despite Israeli Forces having told medical staff and patients they could remain in the facility," the charity said Thursday on social media, adding that thousands of displaced people were ordered to evacuate the hospital on February 13.

"Following shelling this morning, our staff reported a chaotic situation, with an undetermined number of people killed and injured," MSF said, adding that since the attack, one of their colleagues remains unaccounted for.

MSF called on the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) to "immediately stop this attack, as it endangers medical staff and patients who are still stuck inside the facility."

"Our medical staff have had to flee the hospital, leaving patients behind. Israeli Forces set up a checkpoint to screen people leaving the compound; one of our colleagues was detained at this checkpoint. We call for his safety and the protection of his dignity," MSF also said.

Earlier on Thursday, Israeli special forces entered Nasser Hospital. The IDF spokesperson, Rear Admiral Daniel Hagari, on Thursday said that “Hamas terrorists are likely hiding behind injured civilians inside Nasser hospital right now.” Hamas has denied to CNN that it is operating at the hospital. 

8:00 a.m. ET, February 15, 2024

Netanyahu’s office rejects calls for two-state solution, saying it's "not the time" to speak about "gifts"

From CNN's Mick Krever in London

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu pictured at the Chancellery on March 16, 2023 in Berlin, Germany.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu pictured at the Chancellery on March 16, 2023 in Berlin, Germany. Sean Gallup/Getty Images

A spokesperson in Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office on Thursday has rejected any discussion, for the moment, about a Palestinian state.

“Now is not the time to be speaking about gifts for the Palestinian people,” Avi Hyman, spokesperson for the National Public Diplomacy Directorate in the Israeli Prime Minister’s Office, told CNN during a press briefing.

CNN had asked Hyman about reporting by The Washington Post that the Biden Administration and “a small group of Middle East partners” are working to formulate a comprehensive peace plan, which “could be announced as early as the next several weeks.”

“Here is Israel, we’re still in the aftermath of the October 7th massacre,” Hyman said.

“Now is the time for victory – total victory against Hamas. And we will continue on the path to victory. All discussions about the day after Hamas will be had the day after Hamas."

US President Joe Biden has made clear that he hopes that a ceasefire deal, which would see the release of Israeli hostages and Palestinian prisoners, could lead to a more lasting peace “on the basis of the two-state solution.” 

7:42 a.m. ET, February 15, 2024

Israeli politicians reject purported plan for pathway to Palestinian state

From CNN's Lauren Izso in Tel Aviv

An aerial view of the Knesset building, Israeli parliament, in Jerusalem, on October 23 2018.
An aerial view of the Knesset building, Israeli parliament, in Jerusalem, on October 23 2018. Abir Sultan/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock

Israeli politicians, including far-right ministers in government, have publicly rejected a purported plan to provide a pathway for a Palestinian state, taking to social media to argue against a two-state solution.

The Washington Post on Wednesday reported that the Biden Administration and “a small group of Middle East partners” are working to formulate a “comprehensive plan” for peace between Israel and the Palestinians, which would include a pathway to a Palestinian state.

CNN cannot confirm The Washington Post’s reporting.

Israel’s far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich called it “a reward for the terrible massacre they [Hamas] did to us” on October 7. “The message is that it pays very well to massacre Israeli citizens,” Smotrich – who also holds a position within the Defense Ministry – said on X.

Additionally, Itamar Ben-Gvir, the far-right Israeli Security Minister, expressed his rejection of the plan on X, saying “1,400 are murdered and the world wants to give them a state. Not going to happen!”

But, it is not only far-right ministers rejecting the purported plan.

Gideon Sa'ar, a center-right politician who left Likud and is now part of Benny Gantz’s National Unity party, said that the reported plan would “not only not resolve the conflict but will make it intractable."

“The Palestinians will receive recognition in the state without paying the price of compromise and will continue the conflict from an upgraded position that will harm Israel's right to self-defense,” Saar said on X.

Ze'ev Elkin, who is also a member of National Unity, said it was “not going to happen!” and that creating the state would lead to the "risk of a repeat of the events of 7.10 for the entire country" on X.

7:19 a.m. ET, February 15, 2024

US strikes targets in Houthi-controlled areas of Yemen that "presented an imminent threat"

From CNN's Avery Lotz

The United States conducted four “self-defense strikes” Wednesday on several targets in Houthi-controlled areas of Yemen, including on missiles prepared to launch against ships in the Red Sea, according to a statement from US Central Command.

The US targeted seven mobile anti-ship cruise missiles, three mobile unmanned aerial vehicles and one explosive unmanned surface vessel that were determined to present “an imminent threat to US Navy ships and merchant vessels in the region,” according to CENTCOM.

The strikes were conducted between 1 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. local time Wednesday (5 a.m. and 12 p.m.ET), according to the statement.

“These actions will protect freedom of navigation and make international waters safer and more secure for US Navy and merchant vessels,” CENTCOM said in the release.

Over the last month, the US has carried out dozens of strikes on Houthi targets in Yemen and over the Red Sea as the rebel group has repeatedly attacked vessels traveling through the key shipping route in response to Israel’s ongoing offensive in the Gaza Strip.

6:32 a.m. ET, February 15, 2024

Aid worker says situation in Rafah is "horrific and getting worse" as Israel warns of a ground offensive

From CNN’s Nadeen Ebrahim and Antoinette Radford in London

Palestinian children wait to receive food cooked by a charity kitchen in Rafah, Gaza, on February 13.
Palestinian children wait to receive food cooked by a charity kitchen in Rafah, Gaza, on February 13. Ibraheem Abu Mustafa/Reuters

Rajaa Musleh, the Gaza representative for the non-profit organization MedGlobal, currently based in Rafah, has painted a vivid picture of the situation in the besieged town, saying that health workers who are still alive “may still be breathing, but we are dying inside.” 

The city is the last remaining refuge in Gaza for displaced Palestinians, and panic is soaring as many decide whether to stay or leave ahead of a planned Israeli offensive. Last week, Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu directed the country’s military to plan for the “evacuation of the population” from Rafah after saying the IDF would “soon go into Rafah, Hamas’s last bastion."

“The situation we are enduring in Rafah is horrific and getting worse every day. We do not have water to drink or food to eat, and our healthcare facilities can hardly operate,” Musleh said.

She said the surviving healthcare workers are struggling “as we work to save ourselves and our patients in urgent and dire need of physical and psychological care.”

6:11 a.m. ET, February 15, 2024

IDF strikes further "Hezbollah terror targets" in Lebanon

From CNN's Lauren Izso in Tel Aviv

The Israeli Air Force, for a second day, struck what it called “Hezbollah terror targets” in Lebanon, following a deadly rocket attack in Israel that killed one soldier.

Hezbollah has neither commented on nor claimed responsibility for that attack on an Israeli base near Safed.

“A short while ago, IDF fighter jets struck dozens of Hezbollah terror targets in the area of Wadi Saluki, including launch posts, military structures, and terrorist infrastructure,” the Israel Defense Forces said in a statement on Thursday.
“Additionally, this morning, fighter jets struck Hezbollah terrorist infrastructure in the area of Labbouneh. Furthermore, a Hezbollah military structure in the area of Taybeh was struck overnight.” 

Israel’s strikes in Lebanon on Wednesday killed 12 people, including children, according to Lebanon’s National News Agency.

One IDF soldier was killed Wednesday when a rocket coming from Lebanon struck a base in northern Israel.

3:36 a.m. ET, February 15, 2024

At least 1 person killed in Israeli strike on Nasser Medical Complex, Gaza health ministry says

From CNN’s Kareem Khadder, Abeer Salman and Lucas Lilieholm

In this screen grab obtained from social media video, a man blocks an entrance at Nasser Hospital in Khan Younis, Gaza, on February 15.
In this screen grab obtained from social media video, a man blocks an entrance at Nasser Hospital in Khan Younis, Gaza, on February 15. @mahmoud_shammala/Instagram/Reuters

An Israeli strike killed at least one person and wounded “many” others after hitting the orthopedic department at the Nasser Medical Complex in southern Gaza, according to the Hamas-run health ministry.

“The oxygen tube was damaged and oxygen leaked, which led to a decrease in oxygen pressure in the Nasser Medical Complex, especially in the intensive care department,” the ministry said.

Footage shared with CNN by Dr. Ahmad Moghrabi from inside the hospital showed bloodied patients, covered in dust, being wheeled through a corridor while the hissing sound of compressed air could be heard.

In another video, a man with his face covered in blood is carried through a darkened hallway.

In a video filmed by journalist Mohammad Salama, hospital staff can be seen helping move patients out of a damaged area in the facility. Sections of the roof have collapsed and there is thick dust in the air. In some hallways, the lights have gone out.

A separate statement from the health minister in Ramallah, Mai Al-Kailah, said Israeli soldiers had also stormed the courtyard of the complex and fired on the building.

"The displaced people took refuge in the Nasser Medical Complex to escape the brutal occupation aggression, and there is no safe place in the Gaza Strip, and international humanitarian law guarantees the right of every safe person in civil institutions protected under the Geneva Conventions," she said.

The Nasser complex is the largest remaining functioning medical facility in Gaza. More than 1,500 displaced people are still inside, according to the health ministry. 

The IDF said Wednesday that its soldiers had “opened a secure route to evacuate the civilian population taking shelter in the area of the Nasser Hospital toward the humanitarian zone.” 

Doctors and medical officials in Gaza have said Israeli snipers shot dead multiple people as they tried to leave the complex in recent days.

Read more about the besieged hospital here.