November 10, 2023 Israel-Hamas war

By Tara Subramaniam, Heather Chen, Sophie Tanno, Holly Yan, Adrienne Vogt, Elise Hammond and Tori B. Powell, CNN

Updated 12:11 a.m. ET, November 11, 2023
15 Posts
Sort byDropdown arrow
9:49 a.m. ET, November 10, 2023

Social media videos show people injured after incident in Al-Shifa hospital outpatient clinic

From CNN’s Abeer Salman and Sana Noor Haq

Several social media videos are showing people injured in what was described as the outpatient clinic of Al-Shifa hospital in Gaza City. 

It’s unclear what struck the hospital, but the videos show injured people lying on the ground of the outdoor clinic. Witnesses in the videos are saying it was strikes on the area. CNN could not verify it was strikes and has reached out to the Israel Defense Forces. 

Many Gazans have been sheltering in al-Shifa hospital. The IDF has claimed that Hamas are hiding in tunnels under the hospital. CNN could not verify the claim. 

“This is the waiting area covered by corrugated metal sheet under which internally displaced persons were refuging,” according to Medhat Abbas, the director general of the Hamas-run health ministry.

The IDF and Hamas have been reporting ground fighting in different areas of northern Gaza. 

Some context: Strikes landed in the vicinity of two separate hospitals – the Indonesian Hospital and the Al Awda Hospital – in northern Gaza, injuring 10 people and damaging hospital vehicles and infrastructure, according to a statement posted on Facebook by the Al Awda hospital. 

The Palestine Red Crescent Society (PRCS) said one of their volunteers had been injured and two ambulances rendered unusable by a strike near Al Awda hospital.

The group also shared images and a video of two ambulances with their windscreens shattered in what appears to be the hospital parking lot. It was not immediately clear PRCS was referring to the same ambulances mentioned in the hospital’s statement. 

Correction: An earlier version of this post misstated Medhat Abbas' title. He is the director general of the Hamas-controlled health ministry in Gaza.

4:09 a.m. ET, November 10, 2023

Nearly 700 foreign nationals evacuated from Gaza on Thursday, Egyptian border official says

From Asmaa Khalil in Rafah and CNN’s Zeena Saifi in Jerusalem 

People cross into Egypt at the Rafah border crossing on November 9.
People cross into Egypt at the Rafah border crossing on November 9. AFP/Getty Images

Some 699 foreign nationals arrived in Egypt on Thursday, having evacuated Gaza through the Rafah border crossing, an Egyptian border official told a journalist working for CNN.

According to a CNN tally, this brings the total number of foreign nationals evacuated to more than 2,000.

On Thursday, 80,000 people fled northern Gaza through an evacuation corridor, Israel's Coordinator of Government Activities in the Territories (COGAT) said in a statement on social media.

5:17 a.m. ET, November 10, 2023

Civilians in Gaza face "never-ending humanitarian nightmare," UN chief says

From CNN's Michael Rios

Palestinians inspect the debris at the Khaled Ibn Al-Walid mosque after it was hit by Israeli bombardment in Khan Younis, Gaza, on November 9.
Palestinians inspect the debris at the Khaled Ibn Al-Walid mosque after it was hit by Israeli bombardment in Khan Younis, Gaza, on November 9. Mohammed Salem/Reuters

United Nations Secretary General Antonio Guterres has described the situation in Gaza as “a never-ending humanitarian nightmare for civilians” as he once again reiterated calls for an immediate ceasefire.

"Their neighborhoods wiped out. Their loved ones killed. Bombs raining down, while being denied life’s very basics: food, water, medicine, electricity," Guterres said in a video message that was broadcast to the International Humanitarian Conference for the Civilian Population in Gaza held in Paris on Thursday.

He also said that the amount of aid trickling in was “a drop in the ocean" and said the international community must step up to protect civilians, urging nations to invest in a $1.2 billion UN humanitarian appeal.

“We can help civilians in Gaza see at last, and at the very least, a glimmer of hope – a sign of solidarity – and a signal that the world sees their plight and cares enough to act,” he said. 

Also in attendance at the Gaza aid conference was Martin Griffiths, the UN's top relief official, who pressed his concerns about any proposal to push thousands into "safe zones." 

He said that the UN could not be "part of a unilateral proposal to push hundreds of thousands of desperate civilians in Gaza into so-called safe zones." It had not been involved in any preparations for the arrival of displaced people to a prospective "safe zone" in Gaza, Griffiths said.

Griffiths also raised concerns about "safe zone" conditions, saying that "satisfactory conditions do not exist anywhere in Gaza to ensure adequate shelter, food, water, sanitation and health." 

4:48 a.m. ET, November 10, 2023

Hospital in northern Gaza says Israeli strikes in its vicinity have injured 10 employees

From CNN’s Teele Rebane in Hong Kong and Zohair Zabadne in Atlanta

Strikes landed in the vicinity of two separate hospitals in northern Gaza, injuring 10 people and damaging hospital vehicles and infrastructure, according to a statement shared by the Al Awda Hospital on Facebook.  

“In targeting the vicinity of Al Awda Hospital – Tal Al Zaatar and the vicinity of the Indonesian Hospital by the Israeli occupation forces, 10 Al Awda Hospital employees were injured and nine vehicles were damaged," the statement read.

Two ambulances were among the damaged vehicles, according to the hospital.

The hospital added that staff were continuing to provide medical services despite ongoing bombardment, dwindling medical supplies and a lack of electricity, and called on the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) and international humanitarian and legal institutions to intervene.

"Health objects and health service providers must be protected in times of conflict and war,” it said.

In a separate statement, the Palestine Red Crescent Society (PRCS) said one of their volunteers had been injured and two ambulances rendered unusable after a strike near Al Awda Hospital.

The group also shared images and a video of two ambulances with shattered windscreens in what appears to be the hospital parking lot. It is not immediately clear if PRCS was referring to the same ambulances mentioned in the hospital’s statement. 

The crews at Al Awda Hospital – Tal Al-Zaatar are still present inside the hospital despite the lack of electricity and the lack of diesel fuel," and they are continuing to provide some medical and health services, the statement said.

Doctors Without Borders, which said it had witnessed Israeli military vehicles blocking ambulances from reaching healthcare facilities and entering hospitals, also issued a statement Thursday, calling on the Israeli military to stop firing on hospitals.

"Hospitals are not targets and must remain safe spaces," it said. "Medical care must not be impeded."

The Israel Defense Forces have not commented on the incident but have repeatedly called on civilians to move south of Wadi Gaza as it intensifies its assault on Hamas in Gaza City and northern Gaza.

The IDF has said that Hamas was embedding itself in civilian infrastructure and that it would strike Hamas “wherever necessary.”

2:57 a.m. ET, November 10, 2023

IDF hits site in Syria after Eilat strike claimed by Houthis in Yemen

From CNN’s Richard Allen Greene in Jerusalem

The Israel Defense Forces said Friday it has struck a site in Syria in response to a drone strike Thursday on a building in the southern Israeli city of Eilat.

The news comes despite Iran-backed Houthi rebels in Yemen having claimed responsibility for the drone strike on Eilat. 

“The IDF struck the organization in Syria that carried out the launch of a UAV toward Eilat yesterday (Thursday), which hit a school in the city,” the IDF said in a statement early Friday. 

Asked by CNN about the Houthi claim of responsibility, the IDF said: “Regarding this specific incident, the UAV arrived from Syria.”

5:15 a.m. ET, November 10, 2023

President of the Palestinian National Initiative calls for "total and complete" ceasefire

People search through destroyed buildings during Israeli air raids in the southern Gaza Strip on November 10, in Khan Yunis, Gaza.
People search through destroyed buildings during Israeli air raids in the southern Gaza Strip on November 10, in Khan Yunis, Gaza. Ahmad Hasaballah/Getty Images

Calling for a pause of military operations in areas of northern Gaza is "not enough," according to Mustafa Barghouti, a doctor and president of the Palestinian National Initiative, who told CNN he sees no hope for the people of Gaza without a "total and complete ceasefire."

"The US is supporting Israel completely and is not taking a neutral stand and in this case unfortunately, the US continues to support what Israelis want – and what we don't want to see is the continuation of the ethnic cleansing of the north of Gaza as well as the city of Gaza," Barghouti told CNN anchor Isa Soares.

The White House on Thursday said that Israel had agreed to move forward with daily four-hour pauses of military operations in areas of northern Gaza, a move that appears to formalize a pattern of halting the violence to allow humanitarian aid to flow into the enclave and allow civilians to flee the fighting.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has insisted that there will be “no ceasefire” without the release of hostages held by Hamas.

"Israel is not attacking Hamas only, they are attacking all Palestinians," Barghouti said.

"If they (Israeli forces) move south, they will be bombarded in the south – 49 percent of Palestinians killed, mostly civilians, were killed in the south," he said, adding that he did not see "any hope unless there is a total and complete ceasefire."

"And I say that any government in the world that does not support an immediate ceasefire becomes a participant and supportive of this continuous war."

1:45 a.m. ET, November 10, 2023

Situation in Gaza is "unfathomable," aid organization says

From CNN’s Maija Ehlinger

Destroyed buildings in the northern Gaza Strip, on November 10.
Destroyed buildings in the northern Gaza Strip, on November 10. Kenzo Tribouillard/AFP/Getty Images

Aid workers trapped in besieged Gaza are living with the fear of Israeli bombardment, as they face an "unfathomable" situation with extreme difficulties finding food, water and dwindling medical supplies, an official with a humanitarian organization said Thursday.

Speaking to CNN's Kaitlin Collins, Mercy Corps vice president of global policy and advocacy Kate Phillips-Barrasso, said all 70 of the aid group's staff in Gaza have been displaced and had family members killed or injured in the ongoing conflict between Israel and Hamas.

"We fear for the worst for our colleagues in Gaza,” Phillips-Barrasso said.

Aid agencies have repeatedly warned that shortages of vital supplies including water are contributing to the unfolding humanitarian catastrophe in Gaza.

Phillips-Barrasso said one person had described waiting nearly 22 hours in a queue to get any sort of drinkable water.

Mercy Corps has also been collecting firsthand accounts from Palestinian civilians, who have spent more than a month living in deteriorating conditions.

One woman, referred to as Nasma, wrote that "at night, we try to guess which room is the safest. My mom insists on sleeping with us even though it is very crowded, so that if we die at night, at least we will die together."

"We rarely sleep," Nasma added. "Somehow we quiet our minds long enough to doze off; the explosion wake us up. We count the minutes to see the light and know we made it to see another day."
Mercy Corps also shared a voice note from one woman in Gaza who said, "What you guys are seeing on social media and on TV is actually 2% of reality. So we know that we are dying here. If we are not dead physically, we are dead inside.” 
12:02 a.m. ET, November 10, 2023

Israel agrees to "tactical localized pauses" as thousands flee northern Gaza. Here's the latest

From CNN staff

Israel has agreed to move forward with daily four-hour pauses of military operations in areas of northern Gaza, the White House said Thursday.

A senior Israeli official is calling the four-hour breaks “tactical localized pauses” that will go into effect in specific areas. A neighborhood or area will be given several hours’ notice that they will have a pause, to give people in the north the ability to travel south for aid and relief.

The pauses do not amount to a ceasefire and will not affect the fight in Gaza, Israel’s Defense Minister Yoav Gallant said. He also stressed there would be no ceasefire until the release of the hostages, echoing earlier comments from Israel's prime minister.

Some 80,000 people fled northern Gaza through an evacuation corridor Thursday, an Israeli official said, compared with 50,000 people Wednesday. CNN cannot independently verify the figures.

Here are other headlines you should know:

  • Gaza fighting: Israel claimed its forces seized weapons and uncovered tunnel shafts as they captured a Hamas stronghold in northern Gaza following a 10-hour battle. In another statement, the Israeli military said an airstrike killed a Hamas commander and the navy struck Hamas anti-tank missile launching posts in Gaza. Hamas’ military wing said on Telegram it was targeting Israeli forces in the northern Gaza areas of Al Tawam, Sheikh Radwan, al-Shati camp and Juhr Al-Deek.
  • Rising death toll: At least 10,790 Palestinians have been killed in Israeli attacks on Gaza since October 7, according to the Palestinian Ministry of Health in Ramallah, drawing from sources in the Hamas-controlled territory. The toll includes 4,412 children and 2,918 women, according to the ministry. More than 26,000 others have been injured. In the occupied West Bank, 176 people have been killed by Israeli forces or Jewish settlers since October 7 and more than 2,450 Palestinians have been wounded, the report said.

  • More evacuations: More than 300 foreign nationals were evacuated from Gaza through the Rafah border crossing and arrived in Egypt Thursday, an Egyptian official told CNN. Twelve wounded Palestinians arrived in Egypt for treatment through the crossing, with 10 other Palestinians accompanying them, the official added. This brings the total number of evacuated foreign nationals to 2,000 and the number of wounded Palestinians to cross to 115, according to a CNN tally.
  • Hostage talks: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu insisted Thursday that there would be "no ceasefire" without the release of hostages held by Hamas. A trilateral meeting with Qatari officials and the intelligence chiefs of Israel and the US was held in Doha on Thursday to discuss hostage releases in exchange for a humanitarian pause and aid entry to Gaza, a diplomatic source familiar with the talks told CNN. The armed wing of the Palestinian Islamic Jihad (PIJ) group in Gaza said. Thursday it is prepared to release two Israeli hostages on humanitarian grounds.
  • Economic impact: Israel’s war on Hamas could set the Palestinian economy back decades, according to a new analysis by the United Nations Development Programme. A UNDP report released Thursday paints a dire picture of the economic conditions in the Palestinian territories, where it says the past month of conflict has erased employment by 61% in Gaza and 24% in the West Bank.
  • Tehran denial: Iran has reiterated that despite its financial backing and support of Hamas and other regional proxy groups, it does not direct any of their actions. Asked by CNN whether Iranian support was the "connective thread" in attacks by Hezbollah in Lebanon on Israel, by Houthis in Yemen and by Shiite militias in Syria against Israeli and US forces, Ambassador to the UN Amir Saeid Iravani said there was cooperation and collaboration, but that Tehran was not directing any operation. He also likened Iran's role to that of the US in providing assistance to Israel.  
  • Attacks on Israel: Meanwhile, Houthi rebels claimed responsibility for a purported ballistic missile attack on Israel's Eilat Thursday. Israel's military said an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) hit a civilian building in the southern city on Wednesday.
  • Report response: The Associated Press, Reuters, The New York Times and CNN all strongly denied on Thursday having had prior knowledge of Hamas’ October 7 terror attack after an agenda-driven pro-Israel media monitoring group published a thinly-sourced report claiming freelance photographers from the outlets were present during the initial attack.
11:36 p.m. ET, November 9, 2023

Diplomats privately warn White House of growing fury against US in Arab world

From CNN's Priscilla Alvarez and Alex Marquardt

The Biden administration has received stark warnings from American diplomats in the Arab world that its strong support for Israel’s destructive and deadly military campaign in Gaza “is losing us Arab publics for a generation,” according to a diplomatic cable obtained by CNN.

The cable underscores profound concern among American officials about the growing anger against the United States that erupted soon after Israel launched its operations against Hamas, following the militant group’s attacks in Israel on October 7 that left over 1,400 Israelis dead.

“We are losing badly on the messaging battlespace,” reads a Wednesday cable from the US Embassy in Oman, citing conversations with “a wide range of trusted and sober-minded contacts.”

The robust US support for Israel’s actions is being seen, the cable warns, “as material and moral culpability in what they consider to be possible war crimes.”

The cable from the embassy was written by the second-highest US official in Muscat and sent to, among others, the White House’s National Security Council, the CIA and the FBI. While it’s just one cable from a regional embassy, it provides a private snapshot of the alarm over the growing anti-US wave sweeping the Middle East.

Another cable obtained by CNN from the American embassy in Cairo relayed back to Washington the commentary in a state-run Egyptian newspaper that “President Biden’s cruelty and disregard for Palestinians exceeded all previous US presidents.”

CNN has reached out to the State Department for comment.

Read more on the US response to the war and growing regional anger.