December 2, 2023 Israel-Hamas war

By Chris Lau, Andrew Raine, Sophie Tanno, Joshua Berlinger, Tori B. Powell and Adrienne Vogt, CNN

Updated 0504 GMT (1304 HKT) December 3, 2023
12 Posts
Sort byDropdown arrow
5:09 a.m. ET, December 2, 2023

Wounded civilians are "lying on the floor" in hospitals after fighting resumes, Hamas-run ministry says

From CNN's Sana Noor Haq and Kareem Khadder

Bodies of Palestinians killed in an airstrike are seen in Khan Younis on Saturday.
Bodies of Palestinians killed in an airstrike are seen in Khan Younis on Saturday. Ahmad Hasaballah/Getty Images

Civilians have flooded hospitals in Gaza following the resumption of hostilities between Israel and Hamas, further overwhelming the medical infrastructure in the war-torn territory.

Most of the victims of the bombardments in Gaza since the truce ended on Friday are women and children, according to the Hamas-run health ministry in Gaza.  

Israel says its military strikes are targeting Hamas, not civilians.

"Medical teams have been dealing with large numbers of wounded since the end of the humanitarian pause yesterday morning, with the continued bombing of civilians," Ashraf Al-Qidra, a spokesman for the health ministry, told CNN. "The wounded are lying on the floor in emergency departments and in front of operating rooms as a result of the accumulation of cases."

Conditions are also worsening in southern Gaza. Israel has recently started carrying out strikes there after previously concentrating military activity in the enclave's north.

“Hospitals in the southern regions of the Gaza Strip have become unable to provide medical services. The emergency department is unable to receive more casualties,” the director of the European Hospital in Khan Younis, Dr. Youssef Al-Akkad said in a statement.

11:37 a.m. ET, December 2, 2023

Analysis: What could happen following the collapse of the truce between Israel and Gaza

Analysis by Nadeen Ebrahim in Abu Dhabi, UAE

The seven-day Israel-Hamas truce ended on Friday after negotiations reached an impasse and Israel accused the Palestinian militant group of violating the agreement by firing at Israel.

What happens next is unclear. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu this week vowed that Israel would fight until the end. His government had informed the United States before the truce ended that it intended eventually to turn its focus on the southern part of the enclave after fighting resumed.

Washington, however, has made it clear to Israel that scale of devastation should not be repeated.

Analysts say the war is bound to continue until Hamas is crushed, and it may be much fiercer this time.

It is unclear if there will be another truce, but with more than 100 hostages still in Hamas captivity, it could theoretically be revived for several days if both parties agree to extend by one day for every 10 hostages released, analysts said.

Read more:

11:43 a.m. ET, December 2, 2023

Israel says it struck more than 400 targets in Gaza on the first day after truce expired

From CNN's Chloe Liu

Smoke is seen rising from Gaza on Saturday.
Smoke is seen rising from Gaza on Saturday. Jack Guez/AFP/Getty Images

The Israel Defense Forces said it struck more than 400 targets across Gaza in the first 24 hours following the collapse of a week-long truce with Hamas.

The targets, according to the IDF, included a weapons storage compound and terror infrastructure used by Hamas; Hamas military targets in Khan Younis and Deir al Balah in southern Gaza; a mosque reportedly being used as a command center by another militant group, Palestinian Islamic Jihad; and what the IDF said was a terrorist cell ambushing Israeli troops.

The 400-plus strikes included both artillery and munitions dropped from aircraft, the IDF said.

Before the truce, the IDF said they were striking similar numbers of targets each day. The Israel military reported it carried out 300 strikes the day before the truce began.

What officials in Gaza are saying: In an update late Friday, the Hamas-run Ministry of Health in Gaza said at least 178 people have been killed, with hundreds more wounded, since Israel resumed military operations.

Civilians have flooded hospitals in Gaza following the resumption of hostilities, further overwhelming the medical infrastructure in the war-torn territory.

Fadel Na’im, a doctor at the Al-Ahli Baptist Hospital in northern Gaza, said more than 150 wounded people had arrived at the hospital from neighborhoods in the area Saturday, while at least 100 others had been brought to the hospital dead. Their families said they were the victims of airstrikes.

This post has been updated with statements from the Hamas-run health ministry and hospital officials in Gaza.

11:48 a.m. ET, December 2, 2023

Canadian pop star The Weeknd is providing for 4 million emergency meals in Gaza, UN says

From CNN staff

The Weeknd in London on July 7.
The Weeknd in London on July 7. Samir Hussein/WireImage/Getty Images

Acclaimed artist Abel "The Weeknd" Tesfaye is providing 4 million meals to the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) to help people in Gaza, the UN body said.

Tesfaye, who is a UN Goodwill Ambassador, has directed $2.5 million from his XO Humanitarian Fund towards WFP humanitarian efforts in Gaza, according to WFP's statement Friday.

The donation equates to 4 million emergency meals, which will fund 820 metric tons of food parcels that can feed more than 173,000 Palestinians for two weeks, it said.

The WFP didn't indicate when the aid could reach Gaza.

Corrine Fleisher, a regional director for the WFP, thanked Tesfaye for his contribution saying, "We hope others will follow Abel’s example and support our efforts.”

More than one million Palestinians in Gaza are "on the verge of starvation," WFP said, adding that since the conflict began on Oct 7, a “humanitarian catastrophe beyond reckoning” has been unleashed. 

Some background: Tesfaye has been a Goodwill Ambassador since 2021. 

His XO Humanitarian Fund, which was established in partnership with WFP USA in 2022, has raised $5 million to date. 

The first $2.5 million of the fund went to support emergency food assistance to women and children in Ethiopia, and the rest will be allocated to the Gaza response, according to the statement. 

12:35 a.m. ET, December 2, 2023

Truce collapsed after Hamas did not provide names of kidnapped women and children, Israeli legislator says

From CNN's Mitchell McCluskey

The possibility of extending the truce between Hamas and Israel collapsed after the militant group failed to provide the names of women and children to be freed, the former Israeli Ambassador to the UN Danny Danon told CNN's Jim Acosta.

"We saw more than 100 hostages coming back to their families, mainly women and children. Unfortunately, Hamas chose to stop this kind of agreement we had with them. They were not willing to send us the names of the women and children," said Danon, a member of the Knesset, the Israeli parliament.
"So, it's unfortunate. We resume the fight," he added. 

Danon said that Israel may continue engaging in hostage negotiations with Hamas. 

"We have a government, and the government decided that we support this kind of agreement. And by the way, we'll be willing to extend it without any government vote. So, the government wanted to continue. It was Hamas who decided not to continue," he said.

Danon denied details in a New York Times report alleging that the Israeli government had knowledge of the Hamas attack a year before it happened. 

"We knew about the intention of Hamas to invade Israel, but we were not aware when it would happen, in what capacity. We have so many threats in Israel," he said.

Some context: Israel resumed its military operation Friday after it said Hamas broke the originally agreed seven-day truce by firing rockets toward Israel. Hamas claimed Thursday that it was having trouble locating 10 women and children hostages to extend the truce. Hamas accused Israel of “refusing all offers” to extend the agreement, while Israel dismissed the charge.

12:00 a.m. ET, December 2, 2023

It's Saturday morning in Gaza. Here's where things stand

From CNN staff

Israel resumed its military campaign Friday aimed at wiping out Hamas after it said the militant group broke the outline of the seven-day truce by firing rockets toward Israeli territory. The Israel Defense Forces also expanded its operations into the southern part of the enclave, prompting calls from global leaders to protect civilians.

Dozens of Palestinians were killed in Israeli strikes on Friday, according to the Hamas-run Ministry of Health. Israel maintains Hamas is embedding itself in civilian infrastructure, including hospitals and children's playgrounds, that it uses for military purposes, making them legitimate targets.

As of Friday night, negotiators are still trying to revive the truce. Hamas has said it doesn’t have any more women and children to release but Israel doesn’t believe that, according to sources familiar with the talks.

Here's what to know:

  • What happened to the truce: Hamas claimed on Thursday it was having trouble locating 10 women and children hostages — a condition Israel insisted must be met — to extend the truce. Hamas accused Israel of “refusing all offers” to extend the agreement. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office dismissed that claim. Under the previous agreement, Hamas had to release 10 women and children hostages for each day of the truce, with three Palestinians released from Israeli prisons for each hostage.
  • Where negotiations stand now: The negotiating parties — Israel and Hamas, in consultation with Qatar, the US and Egypt — are still discussing the release of the rest of the women hostages, a source said. The IDF said there are a total of 136 hostages still in Gaza — 17 of them are believed to be women and children. There is an understanding that a Hamas list of captives deemed acceptable by Israel would bring back the truce, according to three sources familiar with discussions. Once the last group of women is released, the parameters of the negotiations would turn to other hostages: civilian men, as well as military reservists, two sources said. 
  • Israeli operations expand: The Israeli military said it "struck terror targets" in Gaza, including southern parts of the enclave, where it previously told civilians to take shelter. More than 200 targets have been struck since 7 a.m. local time (midnight ET), the IDF said. Israel war cabinet member and former Defense Minister Benny Gantz said Israel had "prepared for widening the framework" to bring the remaining hostages home.  
  • Evacuation warnings: IDF said a new interactive map showing Gaza divided up into numbered districts and “evacuation zones” is meant to reduce casualties when it carries out strikes in civilian areas. Earlier on Friday the IDF dropped leaflets in areas of southern Gaza which included a QR code that connects to the map. But telecommunications and electrical infrastructure in Gaza suffered extensive damage over weeks of bombardment, leaving many residents with unreliable access to the internet and power.
  • Impact of Israeli strikes: Gaza's Hamas-run Ministry of Health said 178 people have been killed, with hundreds more wounded, since Israel resumed military operations, according to a spokesperson. US National Security Council spokesperson John Kirby declined to say if the US has seen more deliberate targeting from Israel since fighting started back up. He also declined to weigh in on the ministry's report of people killed.
  • Global reaction: In the hours before the latest fighting erupted, the US ramped up its pressure on Israel to shield Palestinian civilians. Secretary of State Antony Blinken, who boarded his plane to leave Israel moments after the IDF announced it would resume fighting, said he has already seen Israel “take steps immediately today” to protect civilians. Jordan condemned the "resumption of the Israeli aggression on the Gaza Strip" and called for an immediate ceasefire.
  • Palestinian detainees: More than 260 Palestinians were detained by Israeli forces in the West Bank during the period of the now-expired truce, according to the Palestinian Prisoner Society. The group has revised the number of arrests several times this week. The IDF has publicly acknowledged at least 100 arrests during the truce through press releases.
  • What Israel knew about the October 7 attack:  Israeli officials obtained a document describing Hamas’ battle plan more than a year before the militant group carried out the assault, the New York Times reported Thursday, citing documents, emails and interviews. The roughly 40-page document did not give a date but outlined “point by point” the kind of deadly incursion that Hamas carried out. Israeli military and intelligence officials dismissed the plan, assessing that it would be too difficult for Hamas to execute, according to the Times.
12:00 a.m. ET, December 2, 2023

Report: Pope Francis held "fraught" call about Gaza war with Israeli president in October

From CNN's Christopher Lamb

Pope Francis is surrounded by bishops at the end of his weekly general audience at the Vatican on November 29.
Pope Francis is surrounded by bishops at the end of his weekly general audience at the Vatican on November 29. Massimo Valicchia/NurPhoto/Getty Images

Pope Francis spoke on the phone with Israeli President Isaac Herzog about the Israel-Hamas war in late October.

The conversation between the pair was described as a "fraught phone call," according to a Washinton Post report Thursday, citing a senior Israeli official familiar with the call, which has not been previously reported. 

Herzog was telling Francis of the unprecedented level of shock felt in Israel after the Hamas attack on October 7 when the pope said bluntly that it is “forbidden to respond to terror with terror,” according to the Post, citing the Israeli official. 

A Vatican source on Friday confirmed to CNN that a phone call between the Israeli president and the pope took place at the end of October, but CNN has been unable to verify that Francis used the “terror” remarks.

In a statement to the Washington Post about the call, the Vatican said, “The phone call, like others in the same days, takes place in the context of the Holy Father’s efforts aimed at containing the gravity and scope of the conflict situation in the Holy Land.”

A few days after his phone call with Herzog, the pope spoke to Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas on November 2. On October 22, Francis called United States President Joe Biden about the war. 

Some background: The pope has publicly described the war between Israel and Hamas as terrorism.

On November 22, during a general audience in St. Peter’s Square, Francis said, “This morning, I received two delegations, one of Israelis who have relatives as hostages in Gaza and another of Palestinians who have relatives suffering in Gaza. They suffer so much, and I heard how they both suffer: wars do this, but here we have gone beyond war. This is not war; this is terrorism.”  

The pope has repeatedly called for a ceasefire in the Israel-Hamas war and is in regular contact with the Catholic community in Gaza. 

12:00 a.m. ET, December 2, 2023

At least 61 journalists killed in Israel-Hamas conflict, says Committee to Protect Journalists 

From CNN’s Kareem El Damanhoury 

Relatives and colleagues of Palestinian journalists Saeed Al-Taweel and Mohammad Sobh, who were killed in Israeli airstrikes, perform a funeral prayer in Gaza on October 10.
Relatives and colleagues of Palestinian journalists Saeed Al-Taweel and Mohammad Sobh, who were killed in Israeli airstrikes, perform a funeral prayer in Gaza on October 10. Ashraf Amra/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images

At least 61 journalists and media workers have been killed since the war between Israel and Hamas began on October 7, according to the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) on Friday. 

The deaths were overwhelmingly Palestinian journalists. CPJ said that 54 Palestinian, four Israeli, and three Lebanese journalists had been killed, according to the group's statement.

The journalism advocacy group says the latest Israel-Gaza conflict has "led to the deadliest month for journalists since CPJ began gathering data in 1992."

The latest death of a media member was Friday when Montaser Al-Sawaf, a freelance journalist working for the Turkish news agency Anadolu, was killed in an Israeli strike, the organization told CNN. 

12:00 a.m. ET, December 2, 2023

UN relief chief urges renewed humanitarian ceasefire in Gaza

From CNN's Stephanie Halasz

United Nations Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator, Martin Griffiths, speaks during in Paris on November 9.
United Nations Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator, Martin Griffiths, speaks during in Paris on November 9. Ludovic Marin/Pool/Reuters/File

The United Nations relief chief has urged for a renewed humanitarian ceasefire in Gaza as Israel resumed combat operations against Hamas on Friday.

Martin Griffiths, the UN Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator, warned that people in Gaza are terrified and have no safe places to go.

The Israel Defense Forces said Friday that it expanded its operations into the southern part of the enclave, where it previously told civilians to take shelter.

He said people also have very little food and water. The pause in fighting allowed for more humanitarian aid to cross into Gaza.

Griffiths said the seven-day pause in fighting was “a glimpse of what can happen when the guns fall silent."

“The situation in Khan Younis today is a shocking reminder of what happens when they don’t," the relief chief said.

Khan Younis is the largest city in southern Gaza where the IDF dropped leaflets on Friday, calling it a “fighting zone” and telling residents to “evacuate immediately." The Israeli military also named Khan Younis as one of the places its "ground, air and naval forces struck terror targets" on Friday.

Griffiths also called for “progress in aid delivery" and for the protection of civilians and "life-sustaining infrastructure."

“We need the remaining hostages to be released immediately and unconditionally. We need a humanitarian ceasefire. We need the fighting to stop," he said.