Egyptian authorities are not allowing US nationals and citizens of other countries to enter Egypt through the Rafah border crossing on Saturday, insisting that the crossing must also facilitate humanitarian aid to Gaza, according to Alqahera News, a local Egyptian news channel.
"Egyptian authorities have rejected the idea of using the Rafah crossing only for foreigners. They added that the Egyptian position is clear, and that it requires the facilitation of the entry and passage of aid to the Gaza Strip," Alqahera News said, quoting Egyptian sources.
Alqahera News is owned by Egypt's United Media Services and is linked to the government.
This comes after the US State Department sent guidance to Palestinian-Americans in Gaza saying that the Rafah border crossing "may be open" on Saturday afternoon.
CNN has reached out to Egyptian officials for comment.
A Palestinian border official told CNN Saturday morning that concrete slabs were being placed at the Rafah crossing, blocking all gates. The slabs were being placed by a winch visible on the Egyptian side of the crossing, the official told CNN.
“Hundreds of Palestinians with foreign passports flocked to the Rafah border crossing Saturday and have been sat in the streets for hours, waiting to cross,” the official said. “The gates are closed, and no one is being let through."
“Unfortunately, the crossing is closed. There is no crossing for any traveler or any holder of Arab or foreign residency or otherwise,” the Palestinian border official told CNN.
There are an estimated 500-600 Palestinian-Americans in Gaza.
A senior State Department official said earlier that the US is in touch with some of them, but did not say how many had reached out for assistance to leave. The official also said the situation at the border crossing is ever-changing.
CNN’s Yahya Abou-Ghazala contributed reporting to this post.