The Rafah crossing between Gaza and Egypt is still closed, leaving humanitarian supplies piling up on the Egyptian side of the border.
Neither Gazans nor foreign nationals have been able to cross, and Egypt’s Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry is placing the blame on Israel, saying there has been no progress in efforts to open the crossing.
The worsening conditions come as Israel seems poised for an imminent ground incursion.
Here's what else to know:
Rafah crossing: Hundreds of thousands of Gazans have abandoned their homes in the north after Israel warned them to evacuate southward. But, Israel has closed its two border crossings with Gaza and imposed a “complete siege” of the territory. That has left the Rafah crossing as the only viable outlet to get people out of the enclave – and supplies into it. Hamas urged Egypt to open the crossing so that aid can come in and those who have been injured can be transported for treatment. Also complicating matters: border authorities have not managed to repair Israeli airstrike damage to the Gaza side of the Rafah border crossing, a Palestinian official said.
Personal stories and global aid: A family of five Palestinian-Americans, all US citizens, said they waited for several hours to cross the border with Egypt, but remain stuck in Gaza with limited supplies and electricity. UN agencies have supplies at the ready to move into southern Gaza, according to the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. The European Union also said it is launching a humanitarian air bridge operation to Egypt that will bring supplies to the enclave, the European Commission president said.
Dwindling water supply: The director of Gaza’s water authority said on Monday that water supply has not yet been restored to the enclave. The World Health Organization warned that the people in Gaza face an “imminent” public health crisis, saying the limited amount of water is creating a desperate situation as the lives of more than 3,500 patients in 35 hospitals are at immediate risk.
Israeli strikes: At least five people were killed and 15 others were injured in an Israeli airstrike that targeted a multi-story house in Rafah in the southern Gaza strip, the Palestinian interior ministry said. The ministry said the airstrike happened without prior warning from the Israel Defense Forces. The IDF issued the guidance Friday, telling all civilians in north Gaza to evacuate to areas south. However, some Palestinians who followed the warnings and fled their homes in search of safety were killed by Israeli airstrikes outside of the evacuation zone.
The latest on hostages: Hamas is holding between at least 200 and 250 hostages captured during the attack, according to Abu Odaida, the spokesperson of Hamas' militant wing, Al-Qassam Brigades. He added that they cannot determine the exact number of hostages in the strip due to constant Israeli bombardment. Abu Obaida claimed 22 of the hostages in Gaza were killed in Israeli airstrikes (CNN cannot independently verify that claim). Earlier on Monday, the Israeli military said at least 199 people are being held hostage in Gaza.
Fears of a regional conflict: United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres warned the conflict in Israel risks spilling over regionally. Meanwhile, the Israeli government ordered the evacuation of 28 villages in northern Israel within two kilometers of the country's border with Lebanon amid an exchange of fire between Israel and members of the Lebanese militant group Hezbollah. Other world leaders, including British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, said they are working to prevent an escalation of the conflict.
Blinken visits Israel: In his meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, US Secretary of State Antony Blinken "received an update on the situation on the ground," a State Department spokesperson said. He also met with the Israeli "war cabinet" including Defense Minister Yoav Gallant and opposition leader Yair Lapid during the trip, the spokesperson and reporters said. Separately, discussions are underway for President Joe Biden visit to the Middle East after Netanyahu extended an invitation, though the White House said Sunday it has no new travel plans to announce.
US support: The Pentagon has ordered that roughly 2,000 troops prepare for a potential deployment to Israel to help with tasks like medical and logistical support, according to multiple defense officials. A US Marine rapid response force is also headed to the waters off the coast of Israel, according to a defense official. While the US is bolstering its presence in the Middle East, US officials have made clear there are no plans for US troops to become directly involved in any Israeli military operations against Hamas.
Sign up for CNN’s Meanwhile in the Middle East, a three-times-a-week newsletter that explores the region’s biggest stories.