The latest on Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi
A source with close connections to the Royal Palace has told CNN’s Clarissa Ward that, in the Saudis' determination, the cause of death of journalist Jamal Khashoggi was a chokehold or strangulation.
No supporting evidence has been produced to show what caused the journalist's death. Turkish officials privately say he was dismembered.
Earlier on Friday, Saudi Arabia admitted the Washington Post columnist died during a physical altercation with a team from Riyadh in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on October 2. The official explanation is that he died after a fist fight.
The Saudi prosecutor in Riyadh has opened an investigation into Khashoggi's death, officials announced.
There won’t be any official Australian representation at Riyadh’s Future Investment Initiative aka “Davos in the desert” in light of Saudi Arabia admitting the death of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, according to a press release Saturday from Australia’s Minister for Foreign Affairs, Senator Marise Payne.
The statement says that “Australia deplores the killing of prominent Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi” and extends “our deepest condolences to his family and loved ones,” calling him a “strong voice for freedom of expression.”
Australia joins a list of several major nations and investors pulling out the of the conference including the US, France, UK and the Netherlands.
US President Donald Trump said Friday that he believes Saudi Arabia's explanation for the death of journalist Jamal Khashoggi and called the arrest of 18 Saudis "a good first step."
After 18 days in which Saudi Arabia adamantly denied that any harm had come to Jamal Khashoggi at its consulate in Istanbul, it committed a startling about-face.
Not only did Riyadh admit that Khashoggi came to a violent end, it pinned the blame on some of the closest aides to Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, Saudi Arabia's de facto ruler.
Republican lawmaker Corey Stewart joins CNN's Anderson Cooper to discuss the ongoing blowback from the death of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi:
Two weeks after journalist Jamal Khashoggi disappeared after entering the Saudi Arabian consulate in Istanbul, the Kingdom announced he died and said it would bring the people responsible to justice.
Saudi Arabia's statement, read aloud on Saudi State television, said investigators worked with Turkish officials to determine what happened. There was a deadly altercation and now 18 Saudi nationals have been detained.
In addition to Major General Ahmed al-Asiri being relieved of his duties, the Saudi Press Agency (SPA) issued a statement by Royal Court Order that Saudi King Salman bin Abdel Aziz Al-Saud relieved Saud al-Qahtani from his duties as Royal Court Consultant.
On Twitter, Saud thanked King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman for their trust.
"I offer my ardent thanks and acknowledgement to the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques and His Highness the Crown Prince for the great trust they put in me and for giving me this great opportunity to be honored with serving my country in the last few years," he wrote on Twitter. "I will remain a faithful servant to my country for all of time. Our country will remain valuable and proud, God willing."
A separate statement from SPA included the names of other officers relieved of their duties by Saudi King Salman also by Royal Court Order. The statement didn't mention the Jamal Khashoggi investigation but was released among a series of announcements relating to the investigation by the Saudi Press Agency.
The names in the statement are:
- Intelligence chief assistant for intelligence affairs -- Mohamed bin Saleh Al-Ramih
- Intelligence chief assistant for human resources -- Abdullah bin Khalifa Al-Shayee
- Head of the general department for security and protection at the intelligence presidency -- Rashad bin Hamed Al-Mohammady