Twelve National Guard members have been removed from the inauguration mission in Washington, DC, the chief of the National Guard Bureau said Tuesday.
Two members were removed because of inappropriate comments or texts, but no specific details were given. Another 10 were removed for questionable behavior found in the vetting process.
"I’m not concerned as a large part of our organization, if you look at 25,000, we’ve had 12 identified and some of those they are just looking into, it may be unrelated to this, but we want to make sure out of an abundance of caution as I stated earlier that we do the right thing until that gets cleared up," Army Gen. Daniel Hokanson, Chief, National Guard Bureau said.
Pentagon spokesperson Jonathan Hoffman reiterated the vetting process is in place.
"I don’t want to get into the actual vetting and what the partner organizations have found, but much of the information is, as the general mentioned, unrelated to the events taking place at the Capitol or to concerns that many people [have] on extremism. These are vetting efforts that identify any questionable behavior in the past, or any potential link to questionable behavior, not just related to extremism."