Suspect arrested after explosive devices sent to Trump critics and CNN
Federal authorities have arrested a man in connection to the suspected explosive packages, according to multiple law enforcement sources.
In a tweet, the New York Police Department Commissioner James O'Neill said postal workers found the suspicious package at a Manhattan post office this morning.
The package is similar to the others discovered in recent days.
A law enforcement source tells CNN that the package was addressed to former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper and CNN.
Authorities have found 12 packages — addressed to 10 people — in recent days.
Here's the full breakdown of the Democratic politicians and prominent Trump critics who have been sent packages:
- Billionaire investor George Soros: One package, sent to his home in New York.
- Bill and Hillary Clinton: One package mailed to their home in New York but intercepted by the Secret Service.
- Barack Obama: One package mailed to Washington, D.C., but intercepted by the Secret Service.
- Former Attorney General Eric Holder: One package addressed to him but sent to the Florida office of Democratic lawmaker Debbie Wasserman Schultz.
- Democratic US Rep. Maxine Waters: Two suspicious packages: one intercepted at a congressional mail-screening facility in Maryland and a second one found at a postal facility in Los Angeles.
- Former CIA Director John Brennan: A "live explosive device" was addressed to Brennan and delivered by courier to CNN's offices at the Time Warner Center in New York.
- Former Vice President Joe Biden: Two packages found at post offices in Delaware.
- Actor Robert De Niro: One package sent to him at the Manhattan building where his production company is based.
- Former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper: One package found at a New York City post office. It was also addressed to CNN.
- Sen. Cory Booker: One package, found in Florida.
The suspicious package discovered in a New York post office, which was addressed to former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper and CNN, has been removed from the office.
The package is en route to Rodman's Neck in the Bronx, according to law enforcement officials.
Rodman’s Neck is an NYPD training facility and firing range in NYC.
Here's a look at the unit that's carrying the package:
The FBI is asking for the public's help as they investigate the package situation.
The FBI has asked anyone with information to call 1-800-CALL-FBI or submit tips online at tips.fbi.gov
The packages are all similar in appearance and contain potentially destructive devices.
The FBI asked people to not touch, move, or handle similar-looking packages — or any other suspicious or unknown packages. Instead, call 911 or contact your local law enforcement agency.
President Trump is being briefed on the two suspicious packages found this morning, the White House confirms.
“The President is receiving constant information as it is available,” White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said.
After another suspicious package was sent to a Manhattan post office, the city quickly warned residents to avoid the area.
New York City sent out an alert at 8:41 a.m. via the city's NYC Alert system.
"Due to police activity, expect traffic delays and a heavy presence of emergency personnel in the area of West 52nd Street and 8th Avenue, Manhattan," the alert read."
Here's the message: