The fight to win the 2020 Iowa Democratic caucuses could barely be any tighter. Bernie Sanders comes in at 20%. Just behind him are Elizabeth Warren at 17%, Pete Buttigieg at 16% and Joe Biden at 15%.
The poll represents real movement for Sanders and Buttigieg. Sanders has climbed in each of our last two polls including from 11% in September. Buttigieg has dropped from 25% in our last poll in November.
No other candidate reaches double digits.
Here are a few other takeaways from the poll:
- Sanders supporters are more likely than candidates of the other top tier supporters to say they are certain of their choice and extremely enthusiastic about it.
- While a majority (55%) of likely caucusgoers say they prefer a candidate who can beat Trump than one they agree with on the issues, that's actually the lowest in any of Iowa polls in over a year.
- Among likely caucusgoers whose first choice is not in the top tier, more say they are at least actively considering Biden and Buttigieg than they are Sanders or Warren.
- Amy Klobuchar is at just 6% in our poll, and her very favorable ratings are basically the same as they were in November.
- Buttigieg's decline in the horserace is accompanied by an 8 point decline in his very favorable rating from 42% to 34%.