October 2: Trump's Covid diagnosis

By Veronica Rocha, Melissa Macaya, Melissa Mahtani and Fernando Alfonso III, CNN

Updated 12:44 a.m. ET, October 3, 2020
140 Posts
Sort byDropdown arrow
11:18 p.m. ET, October 2, 2020

Eric and Lara Trump test negative for Covid-19

From CNN's Kate Bennett

Eric Trump and his wife Lara Trump address the crowd at a campaign rally for President Donald Trump in Tulsa, Oklahoma, on June 20.
Eric Trump and his wife Lara Trump address the crowd at a campaign rally for President Donald Trump in Tulsa, Oklahoma, on June 20. Win McNamee/Getty Images

President Trump's son Eric and his wife Lara have both tested negative for the coronavirus, according to a statement from their spokesperson that was posted by Lara on her Twitter and Instagram accounts. 

Both are in New York City, according to a source familiar with the situation.

11:09 p.m. ET, October 2, 2020

Attendees at Trump's fundraiser in New Jersey didn't wear masks and took photos with him

From CNN's Paul P. Murphy

On Thursday, President Trump flew to New Jersey for a fundraiser -- with the White House already aware of Hope Hicks' diagnosis.

In New Jersey, Trump attended three events: an indoor roundtable, an indoor VIP reception and an outdoor reception, according to an event invitation obtained by CNN. 

Attendees took photos with Trump: Attendees from Texas said they were tested for coronavirus before arriving at the VIP reception, where they took their photo with the President. They said each individually conversed with Trump for less than a minute while the photo was taken, and maintained six feet of distance.

Attendees at the VIP reception did not wear masks, they said, but event staff did.

The roundtable attended by the President was for the fundraisers’ biggest donors, according to the invitation. 

Both indoors and outdoors: CNN has previously reported, citing two different sources, that the roundtable included 18 attendees, was held indoors at socially distanced tables, and no one wore masks.

One source also said those at the roundtable were tested ahead of time. 

The outdoor reception was open to all donors. Katherine Hermes told CNN that Trump stood at a podium, socially distant from the attendees, and held a question-and-answer session.

She and the Texas attendees say they were kept in two groups, separated by barricades.

The group closer to the President had been tested for coronavirus. Hermes' group, which was present for the outdoor reception, only received temperature checks and was kept further away.

The two groups didn't mingle and most attendees were not wearing masks, according to Hermes and the Texas attendees.

11:17 p.m. ET, October 2, 2020

Kellyanne Conway confirms she has tested positive for Covid-19

William Barr speaks with Kellyanne Conway at the Rose Garden ceremony where President Donald Trump nominated Judge Amy Coney Barrett to the US Supreme Court on September 26.
William Barr speaks with Kellyanne Conway at the Rose Garden ceremony where President Donald Trump nominated Judge Amy Coney Barrett to the US Supreme Court on September 26. Olivier Douliery/AFP/Getty Images

Kellyanne Conway has tested positive for coronavirus, the former White House counselor  tweeted on Friday.

She is latest attendee of President Trump’s event announcing the Supreme Court nomination of Amy Coney Barrett last Saturday to test positive.

Sen. Thom Tillis of North Carolina, Sen. Mike Lee of Utah, and Notre Dame President Fr. John Jenkins also attended the event, and all have since tested positive.

"Tonight I tested positive for COVID-19. My symptoms are mild (light cough) and I’m feeling fine. I have begun a quarantine process in consultation with physicians," she tweeted. "As always, my heart is with everyone affected by this global pandemic."

Watch:

10:30 p.m. ET, October 2, 2020

Pompeo has not spoken with Trump since President's diagnosis, senior official says

From CNN's Kylie Atwood

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo speaks during a joint press conference with Croatia's Prime Minister Andrej Plenkovic in Dubrovnik, Croatia, Friday, October 2. Pompeo is in Croatia as part of his six-day trip to Southern Europe.
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo speaks during a joint press conference with Croatia's Prime Minister Andrej Plenkovic in Dubrovnik, Croatia, Friday, October 2. Pompeo is in Croatia as part of his six-day trip to Southern Europe. Darko Bandic/Pool/AP

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has still not spoken with Donald Trump since news broke that the President tested positive for Covid-19 almost 24 hours ago, a senior State Department official told CNN. 

Pompeo spent much of the day, while he was traveling back to Washington from Croatia, focused on issues related to Trump and coronavirus, the official said.

Taking precautions: Pompeo and his team made sure that all the State Department staff who had been in contact with White House officials in recent weeks were tested for Covid-19. That list includes everyone from top State Department officials who have attended interagency meetings to lower-level protocol officials. 

Pompeo also spent time speaking with US ambassadors abroad about the situation, and urged them to take care of themselves. 

He has not sent any department-wide emails addressing the situation and has no plans to do so, the official said.  

Pompeo, who has been traveling in Europe since Sunday, did speak with Vice President Mike Pence twice on Friday, he told the pool reporters. Pompeo also told reporters he has not seen Trump in person in more than two weeks and tested negative for Covid-19 early Friday.

Pompeo's schedule: At this point, Pompeo has not cancelled any of his planned travel over the next week. 

  • On Saturday, he is scheduled to visit Florida for a conservative Christian event which is expected to be attended by 700 people. 
  • On Sunday, he is supposed to depart on a multi-national trip that includes Japan, Mongolia, and South Korea, but he told reporters that things could change.  
10:08 p.m. ET, October 2, 2020

Ohio governor tests negative for coronavirus

In this November 6, 2018 file photo, Ohio Governor Mike DeWine gives his victory speech after winning the gubernatorial race at the Ohio Republican Party's election night party at the Sheraton Capitol Square.
In this November 6, 2018 file photo, Ohio Governor Mike DeWine gives his victory speech after winning the gubernatorial race at the Ohio Republican Party's election night party at the Sheraton Capitol Square. Justin Merriman/Getty Images

Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine, first lady Fran DeWine, and Ohio Lt. Gov. Jon Husted tested negative for coronavirus, according to a release from the governor's office. 

At a briefing earlier Friday, DeWine wished President Trump and first lady a "good recovery" after Trump announced he and the first lady tested positive for coronavirus.

Husted attended the first presidential debate in Cleveland, Ohio, on Tuesday and said he "saw almost everybody had a mask on inside the venue" from his limited vantage point. 

"To get in the debate hall you had to have a test that came back negative for the virus," everybody had to have their temperature taken, wear a mask and sit six feet apart, Husted said.

"While I know that there were a couple people there who may not have had [masks], I thought that Cleveland Clinic did a really fine job," said Husted. 

The Cleveland Clinic advised the Commission on Presidential Debates and confirmed Friday that not all individuals adhered to mask wearing requirements during Tuesday’s presidential debate.

“Individuals entering the debate hall were masked and in some cases removed their masks once seated,” the medical center said in a statement. “A Cleveland Clinic physician did offer audience members masks, but some did not adhere to the requirement.”

9:45 p.m. ET, October 2, 2020

There are no public events scheduled for Trump on Saturday

From CNN's Jason Hoffman and Matthew Hoye

The White House has released President Trump’s schedule for Saturday and as of right now, there are no public events listed. 

The schedule also makes no mention of the fact that he is currently away from the White House and hospitalized at Walter Reed medical center.

9:47 p.m. ET, October 2, 2020

Pence will hold coronavirus task force conference call tomorrow from Naval Observatory

From CNN's Jason Hoffman 

Vice President Mike Pence speaks during a Faith and Freedom Coalition policy conference on September 30 in Atlanta.
Vice President Mike Pence speaks during a Faith and Freedom Coalition policy conference on September 30 in Atlanta. Brynn Anderson/AP

Vice President Mike Pence will lead a conference call with the coronavirus task force tomorrow at 2 p.m. ET.

The vice president will remain at his official residence at the Naval Observatory for the call.

Pence often leads these calls or video teleconferences from the White House Situation Room.

It’s unclear if any task force members will convene at the White House for the call. 

10:02 p.m. ET, October 2, 2020

Presidential historian: The public needs to know that the government will continue to function

CNN presidential historian Tim Naftali spoke to CNN's Anderson Cooper today on why it's important for the public to feel reassured that "the government will continue" to operate during moments of crisis.

"We wish our head of state and commander in chief well in his personal fight against the disease — the same time we need our government to function and that's why White Houses that lose the trust of most Americans are ill-equipped in these moments to send the signal at home and abroad that the US government is fully function," he told Cooper on "Full Circle."

Naftali added: "That's why it matters that you have trust. It's not just a political thing for reelection."

Watch:

9:23 p.m. ET, October 2, 2020

Pence and Harris will be seated 12 feet apart at Wednesday's debate

From CNN's Dan Merica

Mike Pence and Kamala Harris
Mike Pence and Kamala Harris Getty Images

Vice President Mike Pence and vice presidential nominee Kamala Harris will now be spaced 12 feet apart at Wednesday’s debate, a source familiar with the plans tells CNN.

This comes after negotiations between the two campaigns and the debate commission.

The Biden campaign had expressed concerns to the commission that the two candidates would be seated only seven feet apart.