Pelosi says officers who helped keep US Capitol safe have the "immense gratitude" of Congress
From CNN's Clare Foran
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi put out a statement following the standoff outside the US Capitol Thursday, writing "Today, once again, the Capitol Police, FBI and other law enforcement dealt with a potential threat to the Capitol Hill community. "
"The immense gratitude of the Congress is with all law enforcement officers who today and all days sacrifice to keep the Capitol Complex and those within it safe," the statement continued.
3:40 p.m. ET, August 19, 2021
Bomb threat suspect posted videos on Facebook calling for President Biden and Democrats to step down
From CNN's Laura Smitherman
The bomb threat suspect taken into custody by US Capitol Police posted several Facebook videos earlier today in which he appeared to be holding an explosive device inside his truck.
The suspect has been identified as 49-year-old Floyd Ray Roseberry.
In the videos, Roseberry repeatedly refers to President Biden, calls for him to step down and urges “Joe” to come talk to him. In the long ramblings, Roseberry also expresses frustration about the situation in Afghanistan.
On his Facebook page, which has since been taken down, Roseberry frequently made pro-Trump posts and posted videos from former President Donald Trump’s "Million MAGA March" on Nov. 14.
In the videos posted today, Roseberry calls himself a “patriot.” He says he doesn’t care if Trump ever becomes president again but also that he thinks “all Democrats need to step down.”
As various points, the suspect talked about his family, saying he told his wife he’d be home by Sunday.
6:40 p.m. ET, August 19, 2021
CNN obtains photo of suspect's alleged explosive device in Washington, DC
CNN has obtained a photo of the purported explosive device that a suspect, now identified as 49-year-old Floyd Ray Roseberry, brought to Washington, DC.
The image of the device was obtained by CNN from a Facebook Live video that Roseberry made during his standoff with authorities. The video and Facebook profile have since been removed by Facebook.
Roseberry surrendered to authorities and was brought into custody, Capitol Police Chief Tom Manger said. Authorities say they still do not know the suspect's motive.
Here is the photo of the purported device:
3:15 p.m. ET, August 19, 2021
Capitol Police still searching bomb threat suspect’s truck
From CNN's Annie Grayer and Daniella Diaz
US Capitol Police Chief Tom Manger told reporters that the bomb threat suspect, who they identified as 49-year-old Floyd Ray Roseberry, has been moved away from the scene, but the area remains an active crime scene as officials still have to search the suspect’s truck.
“We don’t know if there are any explosives in the vehicle. It is still an active scene,” Manger said. “We still have to search the vehicle and render the vehicle safe.”
When asked if they could identify the motive, Manger said, “We don't know, as of yet.”
Manger added: “We do know that Mr. Roseberry has had some losses of family. I believe his mother recently passed away, and we spoke with members of his family, and there were other issues that he was dealing with. There'll be more on that.”
Manger said that so far there is “no indication" that the suspect was acting with others.
When CNN’s Whitney Wild asked about the suspect’s background, Manger said, “We’re not aware of any law enforcement or military background.”
Manger also said that the suspect was not a known figure to Capitol Police.
Describing the moment the suspect actually gave up, Manger said, “He gave up and did not resist.”
“We had been in communication with him. But when we delivered the phone, there were no conversations via phone. As far as we could tell, it was just his decision to surrender at that point,” the chief said.
3:00 p.m. ET, August 19, 2021
Capitol Police identify suspect who claimed to have a bomb and say he is in custody
Capitol Police Chief Tom Manger said the suspect who claimed to have a bomb near the US Capitol surrendered and was taken into custody "without incident." The suspect has been moved from the scene.
Police identified the suspect as 49-year-old Floyd Ray Roseberry. Manger said they still do not know the suspect's motives.
Manger said officials do not know if there are still explosives in the vehicle and it is still an "active scene." Officials still need to search the vehicle and render it safe, he said.
The official said the man had parked a truck in front of the Library of Congress for several hours and had "advised he had explosives."
Manger said officials tried to negotiate with the man via a white board, and a robot was sent to get a telephone to him, which he refused to use.
The suspect eventually got out of the vehicle and surrendered.
2:43 p.m. ET, August 19, 2021
Biden has been briefed on Capitol bomb threat
From CNN's Natasha Bertrand
President Joe Biden has been briefed on the bomb threat at the Capitol, a White House official says.
“The White House is receiving regular updates from law enforcement," the official said.
2:34 p.m. ET, August 19, 2021
Suspect who claimed to have a bomb has surrendered to authorities, sources say
From CNN's Whitney Wild
A suspect who said he had a bomb in a pickup truck near the US Capitol, has surrendered, two law enforcement sources tell CNN.
How the events unfolded: A man drove a black pickup truck onto the sidewalk in front of the Library of Congress at 9:15 a.m. ET, claiming he had a bomb and displayed what looked like a detonator to an officer on the scene, according to US Capitol Police Chief Tom Manger.
Negotiators were in communication with the suspect throughout the day to try to come to a "resolution," Manger told reporters at a press conference near the Capitol earlier today.
Manger said the suspect had been live-streaming. He added that he did not know the suspect's motives.
1:18 p.m. ET, August 19, 2021
US Capitol Police "still working" on bomb threat investigation
From CNN's Whitney Wild, Lauren Fox and Daniella Diaz
Police are "still working" on the bomb threat investigation near the US Capitol, according to a tweet.
Capitol Police Chief Tom Manger said in a news briefing earlier that officials continue to negotiate with a man who says he has a bomb in a pickup truck.
"We don't know what his motives are at this time," Manger said.
Two Library of Congress buildings — the Jefferson and the Madison — and the Cannon House Office Building were evacuated due to the suspicious vehicle, according to alerts sent to staffers viewed by CNN.
12:37 p.m. ET, August 19, 2021
White House receiving updates on bomb threat, official says