(CNN) — Shorts and flip-flops on the deck. Drinks chilling in the cooler. Ice clinking in your margarita glass.
Then winter hits.
Fear not -- there's another use for large blocks of ice, as you can discover for yourself at some of the world's most dramatic water-walking spots:
1. Tower of London Ice Rink, London
2. Banff Lake Louise, Banff, Canada
3. Eiffel Tower Ice Rink, Paris
4. Evergreen Lake, Colorado
Evergreen Lake; December 17, 2016 to March 5, 2017 (weather permitting)
5. Red Square Rink, Moscow
6. Rideau Canal Skateway, Ottawa
7. Rockefeller Center, New York
8. Shichahai Lake, Beijing
Shichahai Lake, opposite Beihai Park's North Gate, Di'anmen West Street, Xicheng District; opens late winter
9. Somerset House, London
10. Vienna Ice Dream, Vienna, Austria
MORE WINTER ACTIVITIES: