25. Shanghai: China's eastern metropolis is number 25 on the list of the world's most visited cities according to an annual report by Euromonitor International. The city hadhad a 4.3 percent growth, with 6.9 million people visiting in 2016 and 7.2 million expected in 2017. Click through the gallery find out which city was the most popular destination.
JOHANNES EISELE/AFP/AFP/Getty Images
24. Pattaya: The Thai city famed for its beaches also fared well, with 7.02 million people traveling there in 2016 and 7.3 million expected in 2017.
Paula Bronstein / Getty Images
23. Barcelona: The Spanish capital was listed as the sixth most visited European city despite being hit by its worst-ever terrorist attack in 2017.
David Ramos/Getty Images Europe/Getty Images
22. Mumbai: Tourism is on the rise in India's largest city Euromonitor predicts it will receive 8.9 million visitors in 2017.
PUNIT PARANJPE/AFP/AFP/Getty Images
21. Delhi: The Indian capital also experienced strong growth, with tourism expected to be up by 37.7% in 2017.
Prakash Singh /AFP / Getty Images
20. Miami: This Florida hotspot is the second most popular US city for tourists.
Joe Raedle/Getty Images
19. Mecca: Almost eight million tourists headed to the Saudi Arabian holy city in 2016 and this number will increase to 8.7 million in 2017, according to Euromonitor's forecast.
Anadolu Agency/Anadolu/Getty Images
18. Prague: The Czech Republic capital ranked as the fifth most visited city in Europe, with 8.5 million visitors expected in 2017.
Sean Gallup/Getty Images
17. Guangzhou: Tourism is set to increase by 5.3% in this southern China city, which is located in the province of Guangdong.
Kevin Lee / Getty Images for Paramount Pictures
16. Seoul: Tourism is predicted to decrease by 14.9% in South Korea's capital -- Euromonitor indicates it will receive 7.66 million visitors in 2017 despite nine million traveling there in 2016.
ED JONES/AFP/AFP/Getty Images
15. Istanbul: Fewer and fewer tourists are visiting this Turkish city, which has been the target of many terrorist attacks, and numbers are forecast to decline by 5.8% in 2017.
Chris McGrath / Getty Images
14. Taipei: Tourist arrivals to the Taiwanese capital are set to grow by just 1.0% in 2017, with an expected 9.3 million visitors.
Sam Yeh / AFP / Getty Images
13. Tokyo: Visitors to Japan's bustling capital are set to rise by 4.8%, with 9.27 million expected by the end of 2017.
KAZUHIRO NOGI/AFP/AFP/Getty Images
12. Rome: The Eternal City took in a total of 9.4 million tourists in 2016.
ALBERTO PIZZOLI/AFP/AFP/Getty Images
11. Phuket: Situated on Phuket Island in Thailand, Phuket remains a hit with tourists, with a 14% growth forecast for 2017.
PORNCHAI KITTIWONGSAKUL/AFP/AFP/Getty Images
10. Kuala Lumpur: Malaysia's capital received 12.29 million visitors in 2016 and this is predicted to increase by 4.5% in 2017.
Mohd Rasfan / AFP / Getty Images
9. Shenzhen: Tourism is on the up in this wealthy Chinese city, which is predicted to receive an increase of 3.1% visitors by the close of 2017.
Daniel Berehulak / Getty Images
8. New York City: NYC retains its position as the most visited US city and will receive an estimated 13.1 million visitors this year.
Drew Angerer/Getty Images North America/Getty Images