The world’s most famous mouse house has topped the list of the world’s 25 most popular theme and amusement parks.
The Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World in Florida welcomed more than 20.4 million visitors in 2015, a 6% increase of over 2014, according to a report released Wednesday.
There were 235.6 million visits to the top 25 theme and amusement parks worldwide in 2015, up 5.4% from 2014, according to the Themed Entertainment Association/AECOM 10th annual global attractions attendance report.
The index ranks the 25 most-visited amusement and theme parks around the world, based on attendance figures compiled by AECOM, a global consulting firm.
A roller coaster fanatic’s picks for 2017
“Over our 10 years of tracking the industry, we have seen steady improvements in business volume (despite a global recession) the introduction of exciting new technologies and continued internationalization of the attractions world.”
“The major theme park operators continued their positive performance, and most markets saw slow, steady growth, while weather, tourism and political issues contributed to minor declines in others.”
While the top 25 parks saw a slight decrease in attendance, the top 10 parks measured a 4.3% increase, from 420 million to 438 million visitors.
Mickey Mouse outperforms them all
Disney dominated the list.
Disney parks in the United States, Europe and Asia held seven of the top 10 parks and 10 of the top 25 spots.
“Disney parks are the most popular theme parks in the world given our focus on exceeding expectations, which includes managing attendance to ensure a great experience for all guests,” said Lisa Haines, spokesperson for Walt Disney Parks and Resorts.
While Disney saw some declines in attendance, Disney officials attribute it to a variable pricing structure that actually theme park unit profits increase.
First look inside Disney’s “Pandora: World of Avatar”
The top 20 North American theme/amusement parks reported 146 million visits last year, up 5.9% from 2014.
The top 20 museums, which are ranked separately, reached a record-setting 108 million attendees this year.
World’s most popular amusement and theme parks
1. Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World, Lake Buena Vista, Florida, U.S.
2. Disneyland, Anaheim, California, U.S.
3. Tokyo Disneyland, Tokyo, Japan
4. Universal Studios Japan, Osaka, Japan
5. Tokyo Disney Sea, Tokyo, Japan
6. Epcot at Walt Disney World, Lake Buena Vista, Florida, U.S.
7. Disney’s Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World, Lake Buena Vista, Florida
8. Disney’s Hollywood Studios at Walt Disney World, Lake Buena Vista, FL, U.S.
9. Universal Studios at Universal Orlando, Florida, US
10. Islands of Adventure at Universal Orlando, Florida, US
11. Disney’s California Adventure, Anaheim, California, US
12. Chimelong Ocean Kingdom, Hengqin, China
9. Disneyland Park at Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee, France
10. Universal Studios at Universal Orlando, FL, U.S.
11. Disney’s California Adventure, Anaheim, CA, U.S.
14. Everland, Gyeonggi-Do, South Korea
17. Hong Kong Disneyland, Hong Kong
15. Ocean Park, Hong Kong
16. Lotte World, Seoul, South Korea
20. Europa-Park, Rust, Germany
21. Shanghai Disneyland, Shanghai, China
22. Walt Disney Studios Park at Disneyland Paris, France
23. Efteling, Kaatsheuvel, The Netherlands
24. Tivoli Gardens, Copenhagen, Denmark
25. SeaWorld Florida, Orlando, Florida, US