1. Central (Lima, Peru): Named the world's best restaurant for 2023, Central has led the way in putting Lima center stage on the global culinary map.
Gustavo Vivanco Leon/Central
2. Disfrutar (Barcelona, Spain): This restaurant was also named Best Restaurant in Europe. It's a place of surprises and innovative gastronomy -- all with a markedly Mediterranean identity.
3. Diverxo (Madrid, Spain): This avant-garde restaurant takes a daring approach with its highly regarded tasting menus served in an elegant white dining area.
4. Asador Etxebarri (Atxondo, Spain): Located in Spain's Basque region, this inviting, rustic restaurant in a mountainous destination features flame-grilled meats and seafood.
Oscar Oliva Poza/Asador Etxebarri
5. Alchemist (Copenhagen, Denmark): Set in a remote part of the city known for its industrial buildings, you'll find several different types of caviar, amazing seafood and pigeon aged in beeswax among the delicacies.
6. Maido (Lima, Peru): Giving Lima yet more culinary acclaim, Maido combines Japanese techniques and Peruvian ingredients into rarefied cuisine that follows a seasonal menu.
7. Lido 84 (Gardone Riviera, Italy): Set in Lombardy on the western shore of Lake Garda, Lido 84 blends local ingredients, old recipes and international cooking techniques into memorable Italian meals.
8. Atomix (New York City): Giving the United States its highest ranking this year, Atomix provides a powerhouse experience from a 14-seat basement counter spot on the edge of Koreatown in Manhattan.