President Biden says he admires that Prince Philip never slowed down, even at 99 years old
From CNN's DJ Judd
US President Joe Biden expressed condolences on the death of Prince Philip telling reporters the late royal was “a heck of a guy.”
Biden, speaking from the Oval Office, praised Philip for “his lifetime of service to the United Kingdom and the whole commonwealth,” adding “we really do express our condolences for extraordinary life that was led by the Prince, and I think he’s going to be missed, particularly in the United Kingdom.”
“99 years old,” Biden added, “he never slowed down at all, which I admire the devil out of.”
3:26 p.m. ET, April 9, 2021
Prince of Wales visited the Queen on Friday, source says
From CNN’s Max Foster
Charles, the Prince of Wales, visited his mother the Queen on Friday afternoon traveling from his Gloucestershire home to Windsor Castle, a royal source told CNN.
The source also said the Prince of Wales had been in constant contact with his father since his hospitalization in February.
3:10 p.m. ET, April 9, 2021
US Vice President Harris: Prince Philip brought a "profound sense of purpose to all he did"
US Vice President Kamala Harris just released a statement on the death of Prince Philip.
"His Royal Highness Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, led a long, remarkable life—the hallmarks of which were loyalty and service," Harris said.
"From his decorated service in the Royal Navy during World War II to his long marriage and partnership with Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II, he dedicated himself fully to his family, his country, and the Commonwealth. Whether he was promoting environmentalism or the wellbeing of military families, he brought a profound sense of purpose to all he did," she continued.
Harris and second gentleman Doug Emhoff also sent their condolences.
2:59 p.m. ET, April 9, 2021
Go There: CNN reports from outside Buckingham Palace on reactions to Prince Philip's death
Britain's Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, husband of Queen Elizabeth II, has died at the age of 99. It is unclear what kind of funeral events will be able to take place given the UK's current coronavirus restrictions.
CNN reporter Anna Stewart was live in London outside Buckingham Palace and answered viewers' questions.
1:44 p.m. ET, April 9, 2021
Gun salutes will be fired across the UK Saturday to mark Prince Philip's death
From CNN’s Vasco Cotovio in London
Saluting batteries will fire 41 rounds at one round per minute across the United Kingdom, Gibraltar and on British navy ships at sea on noon on Saturday, to mark the death of Britain’s Prince Philip, the British Ministry of Defense said in a statement on Friday.
“In London, The King’s Troop Royal Horse Artillery will ride out from their base at Napier Lines, Woolwich Barracks, onto the Parade Ground with 71 horses, 36 of them pulling six 13-pounder field guns dating from the First World War,” the statement said. “Their guns will fire at the same time as those fired by the Honourable Artillery Company’s Light Guns at the Tower of London and by units from all corners of the United Kingdom including Belfast, Cardiff and Edinburgh, and British Overseas Territory Gibraltar. At sea, guns will be fired from Royal Navy saluting warships.”
“The same guns used in Woolwich Barracks today were also fired for Prince Philip’s wedding to Her Majesty in 1947 and at Her Majesty’s coronation six years later in 1953,” the statement added.
Addressing the Duke of Edinburgh’s passing, the British Secretary of Defense, Ben Wallace, remembered Prince Philip as a “constant supporter and ambassador of the Armed Forces.”
“We celebrate his life of service and offer our condolences to Her Majesty the Queen and the Royal Family,” Wallace added, according to the statement.
Here's a list of locations where the gun salutes will be fired starting noon (7 a.m. ET) on Saturday:
Belfast, Hillsborough Castle, 105th Regiment Royal Artillery
Cardiff, Cardiff Castle, 104th Regiment Royal Artillery
Edinburgh, Edinburgh Castle, 105th Regiment Royal Artillery
Gibraltar, The Royal Gibraltar Regiment
London, Woolwich Barracks, The King’s Troop, Royal Horse Artillery
London, HM Tower of London, The Honourable Artillery Company
HMNB Portsmouth, HMNB Portsmouth
Sea saluting stations: ships at sea and safe to fire include: HMS DIAMOND, HMS MONTROSE
1:16 p.m. ET, April 9, 2021
CNN bureau chief recalls unforgettable train trip with Prince Philip
From Roger Clarke
People around the world have been sharing their memories of Prince Philip, following his death at the age of 99 on Friday.
CNN’s Hong Kong Bureau Chief, Roger Clark, recalls meeting the Prince twice, once at a reception at Windsor Castle, and a second time in what he says was “much more of an unusual occurrence.”
“It happened on an ordinary passenger train from London to the west of England,” Clark says. “I took my seat just before the train left the station. Once I got settled, I noticed a chap sitting across the aisle reading a book. He looked familiar, but he was wearing thick-rimmed glasses, so it took a few seconds for me to realise it was Prince Philip. “He was on a private trip and minding his own business. He only had a detective and private secretary with him, no huge entourage. “About an hour into the journey he got up from his seat to walk off to the toilet. On his way back, just before he took his seat, I decided to strike up a short conversation. “I told him that I thought he and Queen Elizabeth did a great job. He smiled, said thank you and added that he’d tell the Queen. “During the trip, I couldn’t help but notice that there was a copy of a newspaper on the table next to where he was sitting. It had a big picture of Camilla on the front page. Curiosity clearly did not get the better of him — that newspaper was left completely undisturbed for the entire duration of the journey. “I’ll always remember that train trip – after all, it’s not often people like me travel with the royals!”
1:30 p.m. ET, April 9, 2021
Prince Philip's Duke of Edinburgh charity remembers their "inspirational and committed champion"
From CNN’s David Wilkinson
The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award charity (DofE) released a statement acknowledging the death of their founder, Prince Philip.
"Sixty-five years ago, HRH Prince Philip established The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award. The DofE has become one of The Duke’s most remarkable achievements and is woven into the fabric of the UK, equipping and empowering young people from all communities to build the skills, confidence, and resilience they need to make the most out of life and make a difference to the world around them," the statement said.
"Whilst the charity mourns the loss of its founder, it celebrates His Royal Highness’ incredible legacy," it continued.
Ruth Marvel, CEO of The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award, said:
“The Duke’s timeless vision for young people has never been more relevant or needed. The DofE has played a crucial role in supporting young people to survive and thrive despite the unprecedented challenges of the pandemic, and we will continue to build on his legacy."
“The Duke was a lifelong advocate for young people, believing in each individual’s potential and creating in the DofE what he saw as a ‘do-it-yourself growing up kit’. We’re honoured to continue HRH’s work, to ensure that all young people – especially those from marginalised groups – can benefit from the better educational outcomes, employment prospects, community ties and better mental health that are associated with doing DofE,” Marvel added.
In the UK alone, 6.7 million young people have benefitted from taking on the personal challenge of a DofE Award so far, the statement said.
The charity is calling for anyone involved in the DofE over the decades – including alumni and volunteers – to get in touch and share their DofE stories and memories at DofE.org.
12:51 p.m. ET, April 9, 2021
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle honor Prince Philip on their organization's site: "You will be greatly missed"
From CNN’s David Wilkinson and Max Foster
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle reacted to the news of the death of Prince Philip Friday by posting a message on the website of their charitable organization, Archewell.
Set on a full-screen dark background, the message reads: “In loving memory of His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh, 1921-2021. Thank you for your service… you will be greatly missed.”