At least eight people were killed and many others injured after a crowd surged forward while rapper Travis Scott was on stage at the Astroworld Festival in Houston on Friday night.
The incident occurred when the crowd surged toward the stage, crushing those at the front who were unable to escape, local fire chief Sam Peña told CNN Saturday morning. That sparked panic, and the situation worsened and overwhelmed security personnel there, he said.
Scott is a 30-year-old US rapper, singer and record producer from Houston, Texas. He is best known for his 2018 album "Astroworld" – which the festival is named after.
Scott had previously been charged in connection with crowd mayhem:
On May 14, 2017, the Rogers Police Department in Arkansas posted on Facebook:
“On May 13, 2017, Jaques Webster, aka Travis Scott, was arrested by the Rogers Police Department after his performance at the Walmart Arkansas Music Pavilion (AMP).
During the concert Webster encouraged people to rush the stage and bypass the security protocols to ensure concert goer safety. During the rush to the stage several people were injured, including an employee from the security company hired to help monitor and control the crowd, and a member of the police department.
The injured subjects were treated at the AMP by members of the Rogers Fire Department and Mercy Medical.
Webster was charged with Inciting a Riot, Disorderly Conduct, and Endangering the Welfare of a Minor.
Webster was transported to the Benton County Sheriffs Office.”
In 2018, Scott pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct and the other charges were dismissed, according to the Northwest Arkansas Democrat Gazette.
CNN has reached out to the attorney who represented Scott in the case for more information.