October 25, 2023 - Lewiston, Maine mass shootings

60 Posts
Sort byDropdown arrow
1:00 p.m. ET, October 26, 2023

Family of suspected Maine shooter urging him to surrender, brother says

From CNN's Pam Brown and Allison Gordon

The family of the man suspected of killing 18 people in Lewiston, Maine, is urging him to surrender, his brother said.

Police are still searching for the suspect, Robert Card, 40, who is facing an arrest warrant for eight counts of murder, Maine State Police Col. William Ross said during a Thursday news conference.

The suspect's brother, Ryan Card, said in a text message to CNN that the family has "helped law enforcement in anyway possible" and that they are urging Robert to turn himself in.

He would not tell CNN if his brother has responded to the family’s requests. 

"The police have been given anything that we can offer to facilitate their efforts," he said, adding that “there are many people hurting out there, please focus on them … this is many people’s worst nightmare.” 

12:52 p.m. ET, October 26, 2023

Maine shooting suspect is skilled marksman and outdoorsman, former Army Reserve colleague says

From CNN's Curt Devine, Casey Tolan, Isabelle Chapman and Allison Gordon

The suspect in the Maine mass shooting is a skilled marksman and outdoorsman who was among the best shooters in his Army Reserve unit, a former colleague in the unit told CNN. 

Robert Card, who police are searching for in connection with the fatal shooting of at least 18 people in Lewiston, Maine, previously reported mental health issues and hearing voices and threatened to shoot up a National Guard base in the state, Maine law enforcement officials said.  

The officials also said Card was reported to have been committed to a mental health facility for two weeks over the summer. 

Card’s sister-in-law, Katie O’Neill, said in a brief conversation with CNN Thursday that Card does not have a long history of mental health struggles. 

“This is something that was an acute episode. This is not who he is,” O’Neill said. “He is not someone who has had mental health issues for his lifetime or anything like that.”  

The 40-year-old Card is a petroleum supply specialist in the Army Reserve and first enlisted in 2002, according to records provided by the Army on Thursday. He has no combat deployments, according to the records.  

Clifford Steeves of Massachusetts told CNN he knew Card when they served in the Army Reserve together, starting in the early 2000s until about a decade ago. He said he never witnessed any concerning behavior from Card. 

“He was a very nice guy — very quiet. He never overused his authority or was mean or rude to other soldiers,” Steeves said. “It’s really upsetting.” 

Steeves said the two served together around the country at different points, including in Wisconsin, Georgia and New York. He said he felt as though he “grew up” with Card because they entered the Army as young men and trained together.  

Steeves said that while “aggressive leadership was very prominent” in the Army, Card stuck out for being a “rational, understanding person” who “led through respect rather than fear.” 

Steeves said Card never saw combat but had extensive training, including firearms training and land navigation, “so he would be very comfortable in the woods.” He described Card as an “outdoors type of guy” and a skilled marksman who was one of the best shooters in his unit. 

Another former Army Reserve member who served with Card also described him as a “nice guy” who “never had an issue with anybody.” The servicemember, who asked to speak anonymously due to the sensitivity of the situation, did not recall Card showing any kind of violent behavior.

12:37 p.m. ET, October 26, 2023

Maine senator says she's in touch with Biden and administration officials to coordinate response to rampage

From CNN's Morgan Rimmer

Sen. Susan Collins speaks during a hearing in Washington DC, on May 11.
Sen. Susan Collins speaks during a hearing in Washington DC, on May 11. Celal Gunes/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images

GOP Sen. Susan Collins of Maine told CNN she has been in touch with President Joe Biden, Attorney General Merrick Garland and Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas to coordinate the state and government response to last night's deadly shooting rampage.

"This is a horrific and dark day for the people of Maine. We've never experienced anything like this," Collins said.

"And I've been in touch all night with administration officials ranging from the president, who called me last evening, to Merrick Garland, who called me this morning to assure me that FBI agents are on the scene. Secretary Mayorkas also called early this morning to tell me that Border Patrol agents who are specially trained in tracking people down have been assigned to Maine," she added. 

Collins added that Maine is "very grateful" for the help from the federal government, and noted that Tom Perez, a senior adviser to Biden and former Democratic National Committee chair, has been in constant contact with her.

"We're very grateful for the assistance to our state and local law enforcement, because it's essential that we capture this killer," Collins said.

12:40 p.m. ET, October 26, 2023

Dozens of off-duty medical workers rushed to Lewiston hospital to help treat shooting victims

Officers guard the entrance to the emergency room at Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston, Maine, on October 25.
Officers guard the entrance to the emergency room at Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston, Maine, on October 25. Derek Davis/Portland Press Herald/Getty Images

A top medical official in Lewiston, Maine, said his hospital saw an "outpouring of assistance" in the minutes and hours following a shooting rampage that left at least 18 people dead at two establishments in the city Wednesday.

The help included "approximately 100 team members" who were off-duty but came in to the hospital to help care for patients arriving from the scene of the shootings, Dr. John Alexander, the chief medical officer at Central Maine Medical Center, said in a news conference Thursday. The off-duty workers also helped treat people who were already in the hospital when it faced a sudden uptick in demand for trauma care.

Nurses and physicians from other area hospitals joined the emergency response, along with ambulance services from other counties, Alexander said. At one point, Central Maine Medical Center had as many as 10 ambulance crews standing by outside the hospital's trauma center to ensure it could transfer any patients needed, according to Alexander.

Nearby Boston and Dartmouth medical centers contributed extra helicopter services.

"We were able to organize those resources and use them effectively," Alexander said of the sudden flood of support.

CNN had reported Wednesday night that Central Maine Medical Center was calling in any available off-duty staff, according to Lewiston City Councilor Robert McCarthy.

12:07 p.m. ET, October 26, 2023

Maine banks shut branches around Lewiston as manhunt continues

From CNN’s Matt Egan

Two of Maine’s leading banks have shut down branches around Lewiston while a third has moved to shut down all branches throughout the state, as the manhunt for a mass shooter continues.

Camden National Bank and Bangor Savings Bank posted notices on their websites Thursday morning announcing branches in several locations would be either closed or drive-up only.

Camden National said it shut branches in Lewiston, Auburn, Topsham, Brunswick, Richmond and Bath and “drive-up only in our other locations.”

Bangor Savings Bank announced the closure of its branches located in Lewiston, Auburn and Brunswick and will have limited service elsewhere.  

“For the safety of our employees and customers, all remaining Maine branches are closed or drive-up only depending on location,” Bangor Savings said on its website. “Our thoughts are with the community during this difficult time.”

TD Bank temporarily closed all 39 of its branches as well as its offices in Maine until further notice “due to the continuing threat.”

“We are acting with urgency to confirm the safety of our TD colleagues, many of whom work or reside in or near that area,” a TD Bank spokesperson told CNN.

“We are shocked and deeply saddened by the horrific mass shooting in Lewiston, Maine. We mourn the loss of loved ones, friends and neighbors in Lewiston,” the bank spokesperson said. “The safety of our customers, colleagues and the community is our top priority at this time.”
12:11 p.m. ET, October 26, 2023

Here's the condition of the patients received after Lewiston shooting rampage

The Central Maine Healthcare Center received the first patient after Wednesday's shooting rampage in Lewiston, at 7:24 p.m. ET, — and over the next 45 minutes, it received 14 more patients, according to Dr. John Alexander, chief medical officer at the center.

Dr. Alexander provided the status of the 15 patients:

  • Eight patients were admitted to the hospital
  • Three patients are deceased
  • Two were discharged and sent home
  • One was transferred to Maine Medical Center
  • One patient was taken to St. Mary's hospital

As for the eight patients who are currently admitted, five are in stable condition, three are in critical condition, Dr. Alexander said.

12:20 p.m. ET, October 26, 2023

Officials from states neighboring Maine react to shooting rampage

From CNN's Andy Rose

Law enforcement officers gather in Lewiston, Maine, on October 26.
Law enforcement officers gather in Lewiston, Maine, on October 26. Joseph Prezioso/AFP/Getty Images

Officials from states neighboring Maine issued statements about Wednesday night's shooting rampage that killed 18 and injured 13, at a restaurant and a bowling alley.

Here's what officials have had to say:

Rhode Island Gov. Dan McKee: “We are sickened and heartbroken for the victims of yesterday’s horrific mass shooting in Maine. These lives were senselessly taken. Susan and I are praying for the safety of everyone in Lewiston and thinking of the families who will be forever changed by this senseless act of gun violence. Our nation must come together and do everything we can to end these horrific acts of violence in our communities. Enough is enough," the Democrat said.

New Hampshire Gov. Chris Sununu: "Valerie and I are heartbroken at the senseless act of violence in Lewiston, and are thinking of the victims and their families during this horrific time. The State of New Hampshire stands with the people of Maine -- they are our friends, families, and neighbors. State officials have been in constant contact with our counterparts in Maine, and have been assisting in the response and manhunt since last evening. We will continue to provide as many resources as necessary so that justice is served," the Republican said.

Connecticut Gov. Ned Lamont: “The news of these mass shootings last night in Maine is sickening and heartbreaking. The growing number of mass shootings in our country is infuriating, and we cannot become complacent to this epidemic of gun violence. I applaud and thank the work of the first responders in their swift actions to protect our communities – here in Connecticut and throughout New England. The Connecticut State Police is prepared to address any threats to our local communities should they arise and stand ready to assist law enforcement in Maine if requested," the Democrat said.

11:53 a.m. ET, October 26, 2023

Biden says he's spoken with top Maine officials and is in "mourning" after the "tragic mass shooting"

From CNN's Rebekah Metzler

President Joe Biden speaks during an event in Washington, DC, on October 23.
President Joe Biden speaks during an event in Washington, DC, on October 23. Al Drago/Bloomberg/Getty Images

President Joe Biden in a statement Thursday called the rampage in Lewiston, Maine, "yet another senseless and tragic mass shooting," and urged Republican lawmakers "to fulfill their duty to protect the American people" and work on gun laws.

"Once again, our nation is in mourning," he said. "Today, Jill and I are praying for the Americans who’ve lost their lives, for those still in critical care, and for the families, survivors, and community members enduring shock and grief."

He urged residents in the area of the incidents to heed warnings issued by local authorities to shelter in place as the suspect continues to be at large. 

"I have directed my administration to provide everything that is needed to support the people of Maine. We will continue to be there every step of the way," he added.

Noting that "countless" Americans have survived gun violence, he said it is "not normal, and we cannot accept it," adding that actions taken so far on gun safety are "simply not enough."

"I urge Republican lawmakers in Congress to fulfill their duty to protect the American people. Work with us to pass a bill banning assault weapons and high-capacity magazines, to enact universal background checks, to require safe storage of guns, and end immunity from liability for gun manufacturers. This is the very least we owe every American who will now bear the scars — physical and mental — of this latest attack," Biden said.

11:58 a.m. ET, October 26, 2023

Maine shooting suspect faces multiple counts of murder, police say

Robert Card is seen in an undated photo released by police.
Robert Card is seen in an undated photo released by police. Lewiston Police Department

Robert Card, the suspect in Wednesday's shooting rampage, is facing eight counts of murder, Maine State Police Col. William G. Ross said.

Authorities have identified eight victims in Wednesday's shooting and are working to identify 10 more.

Card was initially referred to as a “person of interest.”

“Our reality for today is that this suspect is still at large,” said Director of Public Safety Michael Sauschuck.

CNN's Andy Rose contributed reporting to this post.