August 30 Afghanistan-Taliban news

By Melissa Mahtani, Melissa Macaya, Veronica Rocha, Brad Lendon, Jessie Yeung and Sheena McKenzie, CNN

Updated 6:00 a.m. ET, August 31, 2021
4 Posts
Sort byDropdown arrow
3:09 a.m. ET, August 30, 2021

As many as 5 rockets fired on Kabul airport, US official tells CNN

From CNN's Alex Marquardt

Hamid Karzai International Airport in Kabul, Afghanistan, on Monday, August 30.
Hamid Karzai International Airport in Kabul, Afghanistan, on Monday, August 30. (CNN)

As many as five rockets were fired at the Hamid Karzai International Airport in Kabul on Monday, a US official told CNN.

The C-RAM defense system -- designed to protect ground forces against rockets, artillery and mortars -- installed at the airport engaged with the rockets, the official said.

There are no reports of any casualties, the official said.

The official said that the rockets aimed at the airport were likely launched by ISIS-K, but cautions it is too early to know for sure.

12:22 a.m. ET, August 30, 2021

Unidentified blast in Kabul, say residents and local media

From CNN's Nathan Hodge

Residents of Kabul and local media said a blast was heard in the early morning hours, local time, in the Afghan capital.

There was no clear indication of what kind of explosion it was or any official confirmation of the source of the blast.

12:23 a.m. ET, August 30, 2021

Vehicle targeted by US strike Sunday contained a suicide bomber, US official says

From CNN’s Nick Paton Walsh

The vehicle that was targeted by the US in Sunday’s strike on Kabul was next to a building and contained one suicide bomber, a US official told CNN.

It remains unclear if the vehicle was intended to be a car bomb, or if the suicide bomber was using it for transport.

"It was loaded up and ready to go,” the official told CNN.

Earlier, US CENTCOM said the airstrike on a vehicle in Kabul eliminated “an imminent ISIS-K threat to Hamid Karzai International Airport.”

12:24 a.m. ET, August 30, 2021

US says a secondary explosion after airstrike "may have caused" civilian casualties 

The US military acknowledged Sunday night that there are reports of civilian casualties following a US airstrike against a vehicle in Kabul deemed to be “an imminent ISIS-K threat.”  

A spokesperson for US Central Command said “powerful subsequent explosions resulting from the destruction of the vehicle, indicating a large amount of explosive material inside that may have caused additional casualties.”

Note: The term “casualties” can refer to wounded or dead.

“We are aware of reports of civilian casualties following our strike on a vehicle in Kabul today,” Capt. Bill Urban, spokesperson for US Central Command, said in a statement. “We would be deeply saddened by any potential loss of innocent life."

US CENTCOM originally said there were no indications of civilian casualties.

CNN reported earlier that multiple members from a family, including children were killed in the US strike in Kabul, a relative of those killed said.