The Dutch Justice Minister announced Monday that the government will ban all public gatherings in the Netherlands until June 1, removing the previous limit of 100 people and extending previously announced measures.
Ferdinand Grapperhaus, Minister of Justice and Security, also said that the government is empowering mayors to fine people or businesses who disregard the rules.
“If we want to control the coronavirus, we have no other choice,” Grapperhaus said at a news conference.
He said that there would be an exception for some funerals and church weddings, and young children would still be able to play together outside.
“We are going to make it possible as part of the emergency ordinance for mayors to determine that hefty fines be applied for violating the rules that we are establishing, for example for stores that do not adhere to the door policy, but also for people that do not stay a meter and half apart and form groups," Grapperhaus said.
“And I can assure you that these are hefty fines for the Netherlands and by Dutch standards.”